Retro Features in WHF?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was reading a thread the other day on the star rating system (don't worry not adding to that debate) and Andrew mentioned the 30 plus years the WHF has been running and got me thinking, might be interesting to include an original review from back in the day, things like first CD players, VHS/Beta/V2000 etc, I know pages cost money but maybe as a back page feature, I know in the AV market we always look forward but I think sometimes it's nice to look back and reminisce about the days of piano keys and wired remotes. 

What do you think? 

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's a topic that comes up from time to time, and in fact our February issue had a feature on buying classics from the past.

But it's really a question of pressure on space, given all the new stuff we have to review, rather than cost. Maybe - and no promises whatsoever here - it's something we might put up in the blogs channel if ever we get an idle moment to take a stroll through the memory lane of old issues.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, no won't hold you to it, but something it blogs channel sounds like a good idea. Feeling all nostalgic now might try and dig out my old Ferguson Video Star, and play my only VHS tape (Star Wars) Lol.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As Clare has mentioned in the past, we are watching closely the experience of our colleagues on Gramophone, who have just put their entire near-86-year archive online - see here.

It was huge undertaking, and not one we'll be following in the near future, but it's being looked at for various long-established titles here at Tedders Towers, and as they say, anything is possible in the fullness of time...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I also think that a retrospective group test of a company's range would be a great feature. You could put a company's system from 20 years ago, up against a system from 10 years ago and a system from today, to see if any improvements have been made, or whether they've made a backwards step.

I'm not saying do it every month, but maybe a couple of times a year.

Would also be handy to see if budget stuff from today can hold its own against higher end stuff from yesteryear.

Just a thought..........

A

Anonymous

Yeah think that would be very interesting, have the current crop of LCD/Plasma beaten the best CRT's?

A

Anonymous

Give it a couple of months and you may see something nostalgic, historic and er, future gazing emerge ; )

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts