Resurrect Cyrus One

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I'm really liking the look of it too. If it sounds as good as the promises, this could be the amp to beat this year.

I suppose they could run it alongside the 6 and 8, seeing as they incorporate DACs and use Class A/B amplification.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I was excited, but now I've seen the images, I'm gutted. I think the look is way off. I know that's a very personal thing, but it does not look the money one tiny bit. As much as sound is the ultimate goal, I still have to look at my stuff. I'd rather look at my old Cyrus kit.

Such a shame....

chris_bates1974 said:
I was excited, but now I've seen the images, I'm gutted. I think the look is way off. I know that's a very personal thing, but it does not look the money one tiny bit. As much as sound is the ultimate goal, I still have to look at my stuff. I'd rather look at my old Cyrus kit.

Such a shame....

Agree looks can be dividing but at least it's not a half-sized Lyric. You are correct in that, to me, it doesn't look 'expensive', at least not from photos. I will leave judgment until I have seen it in the flesh.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's not expensive!

As everyone should know by now, never properly judge the looks, the build quality, the sound quality, or the value of a product until you've seen it in the flesh. All too often products are initially slammed by many on forums, with little justification once the product is actually experienced.

David@FrankHarvey said:
It's not expensive!

As everyone should know by now, never properly judge the looks, the build quality, the sound quality, or the value of a product until you've seen it in the flesh. All too often products are initially slammed by many on forums, with little justification once the product is actually experienced.

I did say I would reserve judgment until I had seen it.

No, it's not expensive, but things usually sell better if they look it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I really like the look of it. I'm not sure about the whole case as I'll have to wait to see how that looks, but I am liking the facia. I was expecting it to come in the current case that we are all now used to.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
As much as I like some of its thoughtful touches (like the Home Cinema Direct and the decent front-facing headphone amp) I do think Cyrus wasted an opportunity with this product. They obviously included a DAC to handle the Bluetooth input, but it lacks any digital inputs.

Most TV's these days have optical outs only (mine has stereo RCA analogue outs, but I think this is unusual now), so if you wanted this amp in your main living room set-up you'd need to purchase a separate DAC which starts to bump the price up. They've also alienated Apple iOS users as there's no way to connect an iOS device seeing that Apple doesn't support the higher quality Apt-X Bluetooth. Yes it will work, but not at a very high quality.

I do find that strange, just like Roksan's K3 that also has a DAC and handles Bluetooth but they fail to include digital inputs. Why go to the lengths of including a DAC then only make a very limited use of it?

So often on this forum newbies are looking for a certain set of features for their hifi and the only products that actually meet the needs of a modern enthusiast are an AV receiver, which gives them 5 unwanted channels of amplification in the process. When will manufacturers get it? Start making amps with digital inputs and streaming capabilities (Spotify Connect and perhaps Tidal or Deezer). Full marks to Naim in this respect for taking the lead, but despite Naim's storming success in recent years, many of their competitors seem slow to figure out why.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure about it's looks, resembles an old Naim or Onix, and those contols are way out of proportion. Although it can be used as a pre-amp there is no provision to add a PSX-R, or will they be introducing a new Cyrus 2 later down the line...

I had the original Cyrus 1, then moved up to a Cyrus 2, which I've had rejuvenated by ARS, then added a PSX.

Think I'll stick with my Cyrus 2 + PSX

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
It's not expensive!

Couldn't agree more.

I actually think it looks very nice. I will see how it sounds compared to an 8series plus PSX-R.

If it comes close I might change. Love the inbuilt phono stage.

I very much like that it goes back to the level led's around the volume knob. Very smart.

drummerman said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
It's not expensive!

Couldn't agree more.

I actually think it looks very nice. I will see how it sounds compared to an 8series plus PSX-R.

I very much like that it goes back to the level led's around the volume knob. Very smart.

The inclusion of a headphone amp, phono input and dac is to be commended however the lack of any digital input is clearly an oversight, unless it's a cunning way of getting you to buy a Cyrus DAC. :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chrisr1718 said:
I'm not sure about it's looks, resembles an old Naim or Onix, and those contols are way out of proportion. Although it can be used as a pre-amp there is no provision to add a PSX-R, or will they be introducing a new Cyrus 2 later down the line...

I had the original Cyrus 1, then moved up to a Cyrus 2, which I've had rejuvenated by ARS, then added a PSX.

Think I'll stick with my Cyrus 2 + PSX

+1. Given time I may have been able to convince SWMBO that I needed this in my life, but without digital inputs it's not giving me anything beneficial. In fact my current set-up has a superb MC input which this doesn't have, and if I end up buying the Denon MC cartridge which I continue to be tempted by, I'll need it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
It's not expensive!

Couldn't agree more.

The inclusion of a headphone amp, phono input and dac is to be commended however the lack of any digital input is clearly an oversight, unless it's a cunning way of getting you to buy a Cyrus DAC. :)

Yup, I give you that.

I guess there are limits of what can be fitted into such a small box without making to many compromises considering the price.

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
It's not expensive!

Couldn't agree more.

Yup, I give you that.

I guess there are limits of what can be fitted into such a small box without making to many compromises considering the price.

So, an amp for the modernista but only if you use an Android phone and don't want to plug in an iPod. Oops! ;-)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Leeps said:
As much as I like some of its thoughtful touches (like the Home Cinema Direct and the decent front-facing headphone amp) I do think Cyrus wasted an opportunity with this product. They obviously included a DAC to handle the Bluetooth input, but it lacks any digital inputs.

Most TV's these days have optical outs only (mine has stereo RCA analogue outs, but I think this is unusual now), so if you wanted this amp in your main living room set-up you'd need to purchase a separate DAC which starts to bump the price up. They've also alienated Apple iOS users as there's no way to connect an iOS device seeing that Apple doesn't support the higher quality Apt-X Bluetooth. Yes it will work, but not at a very high quality.

I do find that strange, just like Roksan's K3 that also has a DAC and handles Bluetooth but they fail to include digital inputs. Why go to the lengths of including a DAC then only make a very limited use of it?

So often on this forum newbies are looking for a certain set of features for their hifi and the only products that actually meet the needs of a modern enthusiast are an AV receiver, which gives them 5 unwanted channels of amplification in the process. When will manufacturers get it? Start making amps with digital inputs and streaming capabilities (Spotify Connect and perhaps Tidal or Deezer). Full marks to Naim in this respect for taking the lead, but despite Naim's storming success in recent years, many of their competitors seem slow to figure out why.

I agree mainly except for the Apple bit. Apple could include aptX in their phones but choose not to.

But back to you main point... this will have limited appeal for someone looking for a one box amplifier solution because of the lack of digital connectivity, not even a token optical input. Perhaps there will be a ONE-D variant that ditches the phono stage and has USB, Toslink inputs.

jjbomber

tino said:
Leeps said:
They've also alienated Apple iOS users as there's no way to connect an iOS device seeing that Apple doesn't support the higher quality Apt-X Bluetooth. Yes it will work, but not at a very high quality.

I agree mainly except for the Apple bit. Apple could include aptX in their phones but choose not to.

Apple have never been about sound quality. Their app is at 128 kbps and itunes at 256 kbps, both bottom of the class. Apple is the best marketing company in the World. They build over-priced products for people to show off. The fan boys are not concerned about audio quality at all.

More importantly, Cyrus and Apple have a 'history'. For example, the Streamline wasn't officially compatible with ALAC, as Cyrus would have to pay a fee to Apple. So they left it off the spec sheet, even though they will play ALAC files. By the Streamline2, Cyrus and Apple agreed a smaller fee and it came out as ALAC friendly.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It doesn't matter what features an amplifier has, it will always be missing something for someone. Sure, the Cyrus One is missing digital inputs. The Quad Vena has this and Bluetooth, but lacks a phono stage. The Arcam A19 lacks digital inputs and Bluetooth, as does the Rega Brio-R.

The Rotel RA12 has everything these amplifiers have - a phono stage, remote control, digital inputs, Bluetooth, even facilities to drive two pairs of speakers into the bargain - so why does no one ever mention it?!

Because people just like moaning. They're not looking to buy another amplifier anyway, but they'll make it known that the new amplifier from XYZ Audio just isn't good enough because it lacks one thing, it's a travesty, they'll never sell any, the designers missed a trick, etc etc. If a product has everything AND sound quality, it won't be cheap. If it's cheap and has everything, more than likely it won't sound great.

And as usual, it's not even out yet.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
Leeps said:

But back to you main point... this will have limited appeal for someone looking for a one box amplifier solution because of the lack of digital connectivity, not even a token optical input. Perhaps there will be a ONE-D variant that ditches the phono stage and has USB, Toslink inputs.

Looking at current trends I have a feeling that BigEars was on the money and that cyrus will launch a matching Streamer/DAC ... . Depending on price this could still make a very attractive 2 box system that will cater for most.

Now if they make a Streamer/DAC with built-in CD drive for £600 ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
It doesn't matter what features an amplifier has, it will always be missing something for someone. Sure, the Cyrus One is missing digital inputs. The Quad Vena has this and Bluetooth, but lacks a phono stage. The Arcam A19 lacks digital inputs and Bluetooth, as does the Rega Brio-R.

The Rotel RA12 has everything these amplifiers have - a phono stage, remote control, digital inputs, Bluetooth, even facilities to drive two pairs of speakers into the bargain - so why does no one ever mention it?!

Because people just like moaning. They're not looking to buy another amplifier anyway, but they'll make it known that the new amplifier from XYZ Audio just isn't good enough because it lacks one thing, it's a travesty, they'll never sell any, the designers missed a trick, etc etc. If a product has everything AND sound quality, it won't be cheap. If it's cheap and has everything, more than likely it won't sound great.

Bad day? ;-)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

That wasn't the intended tenor of my original post, so sorry if you've read it that way. The missed trick referred to wasn't so much the complete lack of digital inputs, but rather that they'd gone half way by including a DAC and still not including digital inputs.

And my point about an optical input for the TV was squarely aimed at the masses. How many people out there own a TV and if purchasing an amplifier would like to amplify their TV's sound through the speakers? I don't think this is a niche request. Hence the missed trick on Cyrus' part is simply about the potential market share they could have gleaned from this product had they included one. I appreciate that if it was an entirely analogue amp, adding digital inputs could have been costly and taken their amp out of their intended price point, but presumably it wouldn't have bumped up the cost significantly since they've already got much of the necessary hardware in the component already.

I can understand manufacturers taking the line "we'll just design an entirely analogue amp and if you want digital, just buy our own plug-in DAC" (like Arcam) OR the other end of the scale like Naim's Uniti range or NAD's newer products where they make one product with all the current digital requirements in the same box. It's the half-way house approach from Cyrus (& Roksan as I mentioned) that I don't understand.

And particularly from a personal point of view, because with the quality, power, headphone amp & home-cinema bypass, the Cyrus could have been a real contender.

As for being Apple-friendly, the back-story with Cyrus mentioned by the other poster was interesting, I hadn't realised that. But even if you're a vehement Apple-hater, if you want to sell your product you can't really afford not to be dispassionate about the whole Android vs Apple debate. The fact remains that Apple has a significant market share, so making a product that's aimed very much at one over the other (whichever way round it is) will simply sell less boxes. So I would have thought that a much wider audience (by having digital inputs) could have increased production quantities, increased the effect of economies of scale and thus balanced out the additional cost of implementing the digital input in the first place.

But then I don't work for Cyrus.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Have a look at the website. The amp is located under 'ONE Series' so that says enough.

Pretty sure they *immedately* will release the 'ONE Dac' or something like that, followed by a streamer. And if they make the streamer Roon compatible then I'm sold ;-)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
That wasn't the intended tenor of my original post, so sorry if you've read it that way.
Wasn't directly aimed at yourself - I was just generalising about the usual conversations between the point that a product is announced, and when a product is released :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
...people just like moaning. They're not looking to buy another amplifier anyway, but they'll make it known that the new amplifier from XYZ Audio just isn't good enough because it lacks one thing, it's a travesty, they'll never sell any, the designers missed a trick, etc etc.

I think that's a fairly negative way of looking at it. Personally I didn't mean to terminally criticise something I haven't heard or even seen in person, but a £600 amp going on sale in 2016 with a built-in DAC, yet no way or harnessing it except via a BlueTooth connection? Presumably a team of designers have sat round a table and said, 'yup our intended demographic will be fine with that', so who am I to criticise. But yes, IMO, that's madness, lost opportunity, etc etc, right there.

MajorFubar said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
...people just like moaning. They're not looking to buy another amplifier anyway, but they'll make it known that the new amplifier from XYZ Audio just isn't good enough because it lacks one thing, it's a travesty, they'll never sell any, the designers missed a trick, etc etc.

I think that's a fairly negative way of looking at it. Personally I didn't mean to terminally criticise something I haven't heard or even seen in person, but a £600 amp going on sale in 2016 with a built-in DAC, yet no way or harnessing it except via a BlueTooth connection? Presumably a team of designers have sat round a table and said, 'yup our intended demographic will be fine with that', so who am I to criticise. But yes, IMO, that's madness, lost opportunity, etc etc, right there.

Quite so. The only people that seem to be promoting it are dealers. Says a lot really. To me, and others possibly, it's a failure before it starts. There's only so much you can do on a budget I guess but other manufacturers seem to have sussed it. For someone like Cyrus to not see this fundamental oversight is a tad worrying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts