Resurrect Cyrus One

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
So Cyrus is bringing out a new Cyrus One. Why call it Cyrus One as it nothing like the original but with four times the power and Class D amplification. Still there is a new Beetle and Fiat 500 so retro is the theme!! I will just enjoy my Cyrus One original

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Edbo2 said:
So Cyrus is bringing out a new Cyrus One. Why call it Cyrus One as it nothing like the original but with four times the power and Class D amplification. Still there is a new Beetle and Fiat 500 so retro is the theme!! I will just enjoy my Cyrus One original

Reads interesting.

Phono stage, Headphone amp and 2 x 100w plus it probably comes in under the price of a 6a.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Rumour has it that it has aptX Bluetooth, but really could do with a couple of digital inputs as well if it's aiming to be a versatile lifestyle product.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
****** are you telling me some other manufacture has used "One" lets hope they dont sue me*shok*

What do you use 'one' for?

Nice to have you back. What forums do you reside on these days?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Nord One my Hypex Amp, I try to keep a low profile due to my proffesional status and working my socks off all hours.

Must admit the teaser photo of the new Cyrus One looks like they may have a new modern look and it looks better, dont worry I keep an eye on all the going on's and I can not be doing with idiots too time consuming, hope you are well.

Edmeister

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm excited about this one, I hope it has digital inputs as well.

The problem I have with most modern budget/mid-range amps is that they either do analog (brio-R with a nice phono stage) or digital (nad d3020, CA cxa60) well. And usually not both. Ofcourse there are some amps with both a phono stage and digital input but usually one of both isn't much to write home about. I'de like a simple one box solution with enough power to drive Kef LS50's or some other nice monitor. This might be it :)

mightyquin

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Wow! I only bought a Cyrus One a few months ago, mostly out of curiosity - I remebered the articles I'd read about it in the 90's when I had a NAD.

It's flipping amazing, such a great little amp for my needs - I just hope the new one is faithful to the original. Can it be better?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
mightyquin said:
Wow! I only bought a Cyrus One a few months ago, mostly out of curiosity - I remebered the articles I'd read about it in the 90's when I had a NAD.

It's flipping amazing, such a great little amp for my needs - I just hope the new one is faithful to the original. Can it be better?

Here's my prediction. It'll be nothing like the original. It'll be basically a stripped-down 6. It'll occupy some price point in the £399 to £799 market sector where currently Cyrus are notable only by their absence. Possibly it will have a DAC to compete with the NAD D3020. It'll be marketed as an affordable first step into the Cyrus ecosystem. It won't accept a PSX-R.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
mightyquin said:

Faithfull to the original?

I am sure it won't be and why should it? - You dont need r/c? :)

I am sure it will better the original in several ways technically.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Edmeister said:
I'm excited about this one, I hope it has digital inputs as well.

The problem I have with most modern budget/mid-range amps is that they either do analog (brio-R with a nice phono stage) or digital (nad d3020, CA cxa60) well. And usually not both. Ofcourse there are some amps with both a phono stage and digital input but usually one of both isn't much to write home about. I'de like a simple one box solution with enough power to drive Kef LS50's or some other nice monitor. This might be it :)

I am not sure how much power a set of LS50 really need, I wouldn't have thought to much.

I'm curious about the power rating of the new cyrus. Many of the 'class d' brigade quote power into 4ohm, which, if accurate, would amount to something like 50ch/8ohm. Still, plenty for most speaker to go very loud and probably more than adequate for the Kefs.

I may be wrong about the power rating.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Here's my prediction. It'll be nothing like the original. It'll be basically a stripped-down 6. It'll occupy some price point in the £399 to £799 market sector where currently Cyrus are notable only by their absence. Possibly it will have a DAC to compete with the NAD D3020. It'll be marketed as an affordable first step into the Cyrus ecosystem. It won't accept a PSX-R.

Of course its not going to be anything like a 30odd year old design :)

As for the rest, I don't think it will be stripped down 6 (there is not much to strip down in a 6)

Regarding PSX-R, if it has a switch-mode power supply it will almost certainly not have the option to connect one. I can't see cyrus being able to offer a linear power supply integrated with the features listed and more power than an 8 for less than a 6 ... .

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I do not know how the original One can be bettered. It won year after year the What Hi-Fi annual award for amps under £300 category. I paid £180 in 1986. The Cyrus Two was £250 but it was the One which stole the limelight

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I do not know how the original One can be bettered. It won year after year the What Hi-Fi annual award for amps under £300 category.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
I don't think it will be stripped down 6 (there is not much to strip down in a 6)

Regarding PSX-R, if it has a switch-mode power supply it will almost certainly not have the option to connect one. I can't see cyrus being able to offer a linear power supply integrated with the features listed and more power than an 8 for less than a 6 ... .

I really meant figuratively rather than literally. That said a whole new PCB layout with different components could be seen to be a big investment for a product which presumably will cost no more than two thirds of the current entry-level Cyrus amp. Cyrus kit doesn't sell in the huge numbers that the Japanese stuff does, so while Sony could market a budget amp which shares virtually nothing from their more expensive amps because of the economies of scale, smaller manufacturers like Cyrus rely on their whole line of models sharing at least 50% the same parts. Though just to prove exception to the rule, the Lyric was a complete curved ball and I didn't see that one coming

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just read the new Cyrus ONE brochure .... I would definitely be into getting this .... except for the deal breaker which is no digital inputs .... I'll wait for a version that has such connectivity.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I started reading the specs and thought "oh it's a D 3020 competitor" but then I saw it costs £300 more.
But then, the NAD is 100wpc DYNAMIC POWER, being stated on their website as being 30wpc. The power section of the Cyrus One is the result of the tech perfected for the £1750 Stereo 200 power amplifier, and kicks out 100wpc. It also uses the technology from the Lyric, that detects speaker impedance and adjusts accordingly.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:
I started reading the specs and thought "oh it's a D 3020 competitor" but then I saw it costs £300 more.
But then, the NAD is 100wpc DYNAMIC POWER, being stated on their website as being 30wpc. The power section of the Cyrus One is the result of the tech perfected for the £1750 Stereo 200 power amplifier, and kicks out 100wpc. It also uses the technology from the Lyric, that detects speaker impedance and adjusts accordingly.

Indeed. My assumption that it would be a Cyrus 8 'discovery edition' didn't consider that they had an alternative line of products in the Lyric.

It definitely looks interesting

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts