Request for assistance/opinions - portable DAC to be used with MacBook Pro and headphones

dark-paladin

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello all

Being relatively new to the world of computer-based audio playback (as opposed to iPod based audio playback), I hope to benefit from the collective experience/wisdom of this forum... :wave:

My wife and I will be travelling in continental Europe for about three months, based mainly in Italy. In preparation, I have copying my Apple lossless audio files across to a MacBook Pro. Obviously, as we're travelling, space will be at a premium, so in terms of the gear I'm taking:

- MacBook Pro with Retina 15"

- Bose QuietComfort 15 (mainly due to the long-haul flights from Australia)

So my question is: should I buy a portable DAC (ie have people got a similar setup and noticed an improvement) and if so, which DAC do people recommend based on their experience?

I should also mention that I auditioned an Arcam rPac today and my impressions were as follows:

- using the Bose QC15s plugged into the MacBook Pro's headphone jack, the orchestral soundtrack music that I mainly listen to sounded a bit bright

- using the Bose QC15s plugged into the Arcam rPac reduced the brightness of my music files

Many thanks in advance

Exoticsounds

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Try out these, they are small and very portable but still have a great sound. Audioquest DragonFly, HRT microStreamer and Meridian Explorer DAC

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
HRT HeadStreamer Mobile

http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/headstreamer-mobile#prodd

Available for £159 from Audio Affair:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/HRT-Head-Streamer-Mobile-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier/product_7164?ref=gmc&sa=X&ei=BdpFUdtwh5M42fyBCA&ved=0CCAQ-RIwAQ

All those mentioned above were on my shortlist, when I was envisaging headphones into MacBook, with possible feed into hifi.

Decided instead to go the streamer route so bought a nearly new Squeezebox Touch. It is great at home, and takes headphones, but is obviously no use on a plane!

Your 'reduced brightness' is probably much better decoding of the music and less digital grunge. But if you like the sound as it is, don't be persuaded by the craze for USB DACs to part with your cash.

These are about the easiest products to audition, however, so try to hear them all. Unseen and unheard, I'd go for the Meridian, because of their digital heritage.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I travel with work a bit and like to have good quality music with me. I'm only away a few days so don't need as wide a range of music as you will, so my iPhone (or iPad) suffice. Music is ripped at 256kbps for travel purposes (main library is Apple Lossless), and I use a £50 pair of Sennheiser PX200's.

Interestingly I have a Ray Samuels headphone amp that is a) small and b) does improve sound quality quite a bit. But I rarely take it with me as the quality straight from the idevice is good and I prefer the simplicity of the setup. I have tried both 320kbps and lossless files by the way, again I prefer to compromise slightly to get more music on the idevice. I am fussy about sound quality generally though (Ayre / Harbeth setup at home).

If I was using a Macbook I think I'd want a separate USB DAC / amp, with the ones mentioned being those I'd consider. Maybe not the Dragonfly, for practical reasons in that there's more scope for damaging it, particularly when travelling, as it plugs straight into the laptop.

Going off brief, have you considered an iPad (or tablet,not getting hung up on brands). I don't know what else you want the laptop for but an iPad will do most of what a laptop will, is considerably smaller (partic the Mini), and is ideal for travelling. Not great as an inoput device, but that tends to be work focused, which you (lucky thing) don't have to be.

Or if you only need music then get an iPod classic - 160gb would give you 1500 albums at 256kbps quality, and boy would that be compact for travelling.

Just a few thoughts - have a super 3 months (he says jealously!)

TRENDING THREADS