Replacing Rotel RA01

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

A bit of advice if you would, to a relative non expert.

After many years of service, my Rotel RA-01 amplifier is on its last legs, is dying and needs replacing.

My speakers are B&W DM 602 S3's, CD player Rotel RCD-02, I will not be replacing these. Combined with my current Rotel amplifier, I have been really happy with this set up.

My question is, should I play safe and stay with Rotel, from what I have read, and indeed heard in my current set up, Rotel and B&W compliment each other well.

Or can anyone can suggest a good alternative partner for my B&W's?

Budget of around £500 suggests the Rotel RA-06, although, for example, I have seen a Rega Mira 3 for £400

Would really like the Rotel RA1520, but £700 is stretching the budget a bit..

Many thanks

gorvagh said:
Hello all,

A bit of advice if you would, to a relative non expert.

After many years of service, my Rotel RA-01 amplifier is on its last legs, is dying and needs replacing.

My speakers are B&W DM 602 S3's, CD player Rotel RCD-02, I will not be replacing these. Combined with my current Rotel amplifier, I have been really happy with this set up.

My question is, should I play safe and stay with Rotel, from what I have read, and indeed heard in my current set up, Rotel and B&W compliment each other well.

Or can anyone can suggest a good alternative partner for my B&W's?

Budget of around £500 suggests the Rotel RA-06, although, for example, I have seen a Rega Mira 3 for £400

Would really like the Rotel RA1520, but £700 is stretching the budget a bit..

Many thanks

Hi gorvagh

If you are also happy to consider used amplification then i'll highly recommend Rotel's superb RA-1062 amplifier as 602 S3's form an excellent tonal match with RA-1062's :) RA-1062's greater quality of power will also help the amp to energize 602 S3's far more effectively and maintain even higher levels of stability at almost any comparable listening level :rockout:

Btw, what cabling do you also use?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the replies

Rick, using Van Den Hul Bay C5 interconnects, with QED Silver Anniversary Bi Wire speaker cables

iPod connected using Russ Andrews GQ-24 interconnect, if that makes any difference at all :poke:

Thanks for the suggestion regarding buying used, but would rather buy new..

rainsoothe

Hi. I've recently been trolling these forums looking for a new amp for my own B&W 602 S3's and my initial action was to ask about the highly reviewed Rotel RA 04 SE and Marantz PM 6004 - that's the initial budget i had in mind. Some nice people gave me the best advice ever: to go listen to the amps on my speakers. So I took it and I'm the happy owner of a Rotel RA 1520. I have also auditioned Marantz PM 6004 and 7004, XTZ Class A100 D3, Creek Evolution 2, Yamaha S500.

My conclusion was that every amp i auditioned (except for the Rotel) sounded pretty harsh on trebles with these speakers (cause they're old I guess and have that metal tweeter). The "S" 's in songs seamed to scratch my eardrums quite a bit. It's been 4 or 5 days since i've had the Rotel RA 1520 and i'm verry verry happy with the sound - it's smooth, detailed, a bit warm, and controlled.

By the way, the guys at the hi-fi centers i visited convinced me to go for a better amp, that's how my budget changed from 400 euro to around 850.

So, my advice is to try to find out how amps sound with your speakers. But, since you've had rotel and like the sound, try for the RA 1520 - you won't be dissapointed. Or, if not, try Rotel RA 1062 - that's what the most common advice seems to be for people with this budget and speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your advice Rainsoothe

Good to know you you started with the same set up as myself, a like for like comparison is very useful.

I am leaning towards Rotel again, as it seems to be a sensible solution.

Having said that, the Rega Brio R does seem a viable alternative at my budget level..

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Rotel 1520 I'm looking to sell, in mint condition under 6months old.

Original packaging, with receipt, and all paper work, bought 09/01/12. for a reasonable offer. I'm serious. Reason for selling 'not compatable with my set up.'

I live in birmingham, england - let me know.

gorvagh said:
Many thanks for the replies

Rick, using Van Den Hul Bay C5 interconnects, with QED Silver Anniversary Bi Wire speaker cables

iPod connected using Russ Andrews GQ-24 interconnect, if that makes any difference at all :poke:

Thanks for the suggestion regarding buying used, but would rather buy new..

Hi gorvagh

Your welcome and thanks for your reply.

If you've concerns regarding buying a used RA-1062 because of back up service then you needn't worry as you're in safe hands with B&W's service department.

Anyway, if you're not after constant disco like levels then Rega's Brio R amplifier should work well with 602 S3's. Alternatively NAD's C356BEE is also worth a look.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts