Replacing my Linn Sara speakers

Treeboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi thought I'd see if anyone had thoughts on replacing my Linn Saras, they have been excellent but I've noticed a bit of performance drop off recently, and am considering replacing them, not bad after almost 20 years service.

I'm looking for a similar sound, clear, bright and smooth with a good depth if you know what I mean!

All sensible comments welcome, but no I havn't got £10,000 to spend

Thanks Treeboy

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Treeboy

What is the rest of your kit, your taste in music, and the amount you have to spend?

They were very good speakers in their day, sounding impressive with Linn/Naim

Depending on your answer to the above, you may be looking at something from ATC, Focal, Kef or Monitor Audio.

Cno

T

the record spot

Banging the Mission drum again, but land some mint 751s and you'll be delighted. Expect to pay £100, check the comments around the web for these terrific speakers.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Noogle, have you heard Linn Majik Isobariks?

I have.

It'd be interesting to see if you came to the same conclusions as me.

I wrote a report on a different forum. If you like I can copy that report into here?

Treeboy, are you looking for small Sara sized speakers, or would you be happy with something much larger?

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I presume the review's not good? On the grounds they don't have 15" drivers and are less than 30 years old?
smiley-wink.gif

Treeboy

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your input people, for info my amps are as olds as my speakers I sold my car an A reg 2.8 Capri only a few years old to buy in 1988 (£3584.95)

Linn sondeck, ittok arm, troika cartridge, Naim 62 & 140 amps a hi cap and I added a Naim CDX cd player several years later, quality kit as it is, its still working well, just the speakers could do with an upgrade

Thoughts ?

Treeboy

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Treeboy said:
Thanks for your input people, for info my amps are as olds as my speakers I sold my car an A reg 2.8 Capri only a few years old to buy in 1988 (£3584.95)

Linn sondeck, ittok arm, troika cartridge, Naim 62 & 140 amps a hi cap and I added a Naim CDX cd player several years later, quality kit as it is, its still working well, just the speakers could do with an upgrade

Thoughts ?

Treeboy

I loved the old Linn/Naim combo. I had LP12 (Valhalla) + Ittok + Asak into Naim 42/110 with Snaps p/s.

Still not sure of your budget, but that kit is pretty high end and deserves decent speakers. Chebby's idea of the Neat Momentum is interesting as it continues the theme of iso-barik designed speakers.

I don't like the sound of the newer Linn amp/speaker match, so I'm not sure how their speakers would now match in with your kit; probably better can be had for the money.

If it isn't over budget my first choice would be Kef Reference (201/2, 203/2, 205/2); also MA Platinum range; Focal Electra range; ATC range - possibly SCM40.

If you want a more old fashioned sounding speaker look to Harbeth, Spendor or Sonus Faber. Very interested in what you end up with......... trying to match old with new.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts