Replacing My 30yr old Rotel Amp

Eddifgr2

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi all... After 31 years stellar service i feel it is now time to replace my Rotel RA840bx3... I still like the sound it creates but ive had my moneys worth for sure from this amp.
It sits in a small/med size room with a Rega P3 deck fitted with an AT vml750sh and drives a pair of B&W 706's.
Whilst I still like this amp both speakers and turntables have improved massively in 31 years and wondered do I stick with Rotel or go elsewhere.
I have budgeted 1500/2k to sort this out.
Your thoughts please?

Attachments

• 20200417_000328.jpg
    20200417_000328.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 9
D

Deleted member 116933

Would say for that budget and if you want just an "amp" no other frills and what not, maybe one to add to the list is the Roksan Kandy k2 maybe a nice Rega Elicit r. Though I know the Rotels have loads of punch that you may miss so maybe add a RA 1572 to you audition list as well

worlds your oyster at the 1500-2k mark

Reactions: rainsoothe

Eddifgr2

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
Would say for that budget and if you want just an "amp" no other frills and what not, maybe one to add to the list is the Roksan Kandy k2 maybe a nice Rega Elicit r. Though I know the Rotels have loads of punch that you may miss so maybe add a RA 1572 to you audition list as well

worlds your oyster at the 1500-2k mark
Thank you guys theres a couple there I havent even heard of.... im assuming these have a phono sound stage built in...
M

rainsoothe

Great suggestions above, I would also add Naim Nait XS3 (slightly over budget, but great amp - also has a phono pre) or, if you want something smoother, Arcam SA30 (which can also stream). I'll +1 the Creek and Roksan suggestions (although you might be able to find Caspian M2 for your budget, but the Kandy is great too).

Great suggestions above, I would also add Naim Nait XS3 (slightly over budget, but great amp - also has a phono pre) or, if you want something smoother, Arcam SA30 (which can also stream). I'll +1 the Creek and Roksan suggestions (although you might be able to find Caspian M2 for your budget, but the Kandy is great too).
Does the Caspian M2 have a phono stage? He'd need an external phono preamp

Reactions: Eddifgr2

daytona600

£2000 Croft integrated & £900 of new records ,or Integrated R & £400 of records
hand built in the UK sounds better than amps at 5 times the cost

£2000 Croft integrated & £900 of new records ,or Integrated R & £400 of records
hand built in the UK sounds better than amps at 5 times the cost
The Croft is an excellent niche market product that should be more appreciated, the fact it has a lowish power output and..... valves.... tends to put many off, unfortunately.
It certainly has enough to drive his 706's

Eddifgr2

Apr 16, 2020
Visit site
Does the Caspian M2 have a phono stage? He'd need an external phono preamp
I have a Rega mm mk3 phono preamp... Is this good enough to put into a quality amp or are there better alternatives..? Im kind of swayed towards having a built in one like the Rotel amp I have... Unless there are great benefits to the contrary of course.
M

I have a Rega mm mk3 phono preamp... Is this good enough to put into a quality amp or are there better alternatives..? Im kind of swayed towards having a built in one like the Rotel amp I have... Unless there are great benefits to the contrary of course.
M
The benefits are the phono stages can be upgraded if you need to in future and most will cope with MC cartridges should you want to use these in the future. Most inbuilt photos stages are Moving Magnet only unless you have a really decent amp.
If vinyl is a really relevant source and you are looking at spending this much on an amp then you should really look at spending out on a really good phono preamp.
I can suggest a really good one for £300-400 that would be much better than your Rega MM and much better than any inbuilt phono stage that you're likely to find in a £2000 integrated amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts