Replacing MA RS5s

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello all

A few months back I bought a second hand Creek Evo amp to try to deal with the brightness of my RS5s; it does seem to have helped take the edge off the sound, but I still find some of the treble too edgy while listening.

I'd wondered if the new RX2s might have sorted the brightness issues of the Silver range but as the room they are in is quite reflective perhaps a non-metal dome tweeter would be better. My first thought was to try some Dynaudio DM2/6 or 7s or possibly Kef, although I don't know what their sound is supposed to be like and I see they have metal dome tweeters too.

Any comments, advice and suggestions of other speakers to look at would be welcome!

Many thanks

Epos are the ideal match for Creek. Either that (depending on budget) or Kef IQ50s. With Dyns you'll get a very punchy sound and good detail. But IMV you'll lose a little detail and gain solidity.

If you can source any, try and look at Usher S520 or B&W 685s.

Out of interest, what cables do you use?

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks PP,

I was actually looking at the IQ50s when I was first putting a system together, but then found the RS5s going for half price when the RX range was just coming along. And I think seeing/reading about the 685s is what started all this Hifi for me!

Epos look intersting so I'll look around for those and Usher

roym90 said:
And cables; QED Original, QED Performance audio 2 from the rDAC and Chord Crimson from the Rega phono

Dump the QED. Don't mean that disparagingly, they are a good cable but with MAs lively top-end Chord SilverScreen is far better, mainly due because it's a copper cable. It won't have significant effect, but tonally may smooth over the slight raggedness.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
roym90 said:
And cables; QED Original, QED Performance audio 2 from the rDAC and Chord Crimson from the Rega phono

Dump the QED. Don't mean that disparagingly, they are a good cable but with MAs lively top-end Chord SilverScreen is far better, mainly due because it's a copper cable. It won't have significant effect, but tonally may smooth over the slight raggedness.

I'd be surprised if it makes any real difference. The 'silver' in these cables is just plating. Best try to see if you can get demo/loan cables before splashing out any cash. I used silver plated cables with RS6 with no problems at all.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Maybe the Dali Ikon series is something for you. Great treble.

Not to start a debate again but changing cables won't change a thing.

bigblue235 said:
plastic penguin said:
roym90 said:

I'd be surprised if it makes any real difference. The 'silver' in these cables is just plating. Best try to see if you can get demo/loan cables before splashing out any cash. I used silver plated cables with RS6 with no problems at all.

True - but as I pointed out it won't be significant, but the subtle difference might be all the OP needs.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I think it needs a bigger change than just cables. I had thought that perhaps a change to the RX2s would be enough if Monitor Audio had sorted the brightness a bit, but I imagine I'd end up with the same problem again.

roym90 said:
Thanks for the replies. I think it needs a bigger change than just cables. I had thought that perhaps a change to the RX2s would be enough if Monitor Audio had sorted the brightness a bit, but I imagine I'd end up with the same problem again.

Unless it's like fingernails down a blackboard, it's worth trying out the cables. Certainly a lot cheaper.

To me, the Evo and my RS6s are a fabulous synergy match.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I could try it as I couldn't afford speakers yet!

Is it likely to make a noticable differece? The Qed cable seems to be copper too

It will make a difference, as stated earlier, but generally it's tonal. It should more cohesion and remove some, if not all, of the top-end nasties.

Building a successful hi-fi combo comes down to all components. The amp, speakers and source have the biggest impact, but cables such as interconnects and speakers leads will add or take-away from the overall effect.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll give it a go, try to sell the Qed first to keep the cost down. I'd usually been quite sceptical about the difference cables would make.

Would you recommend the Carnival Classic too? I'll need quite a long run of it

Thanks agian for the advice

roym90 said:
I'll give it a go, try to sell the Qed first to keep the cost down. I'd usually been quite sceptical about the difference cables would make.

Would you recommend the Carnival Classic too? I'll need quite a long run of it

Thanks agian for the advice

Never heard of it.

I can understand why you are sceptical. I am to a certain degree. Cables alone won't turn a poor system into a good one, but will have a small tonal effect. It might be all you'll need just to take the edge off.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Plastic penguin, have you heard the Kef IQ50s against the Monitor Audios? They'd probably be nearer my budget if I could find a pair; but weren't they discontinued a while a go now?

roym90 said:
Plastic penguin, have you heard the Kef IQ50s against the Monitor Audios? They'd probably be nearer my budget if I could find a pair; but weren't they discontinued a while a go now?

AFAIK IQ50 are still current model...

No - heard the predecessors IQ5 alongside RS5 and 6s. They are good in some respects, but it was with Arcam amplification. For me, Arcam and Kef not a great combo but could be different with Creek.

The Evo will benefit from better speakers than RS5 and Kef IQ50s IMHO. Perhaps look at these: http://www.richersounds.com/product/floorstanders/mordaunt-short/aviano-6/mord-aviano-6-blk. They'll have wider soundstage and won't have such a springy top-end.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks PP, helpful as always!

Just looked at the Mordaunt Short website and they offer a 60 day home audition, which would be far more useful than listening in the shop I think.

roym90 said:
Thanks PP, helpful as always!

Just looked at the Mordaunt Short website and they offer a 60 day home audition, which would be far more useful than listening in the shop I think.

Not sure how the manufactuer home trial works. Richer Sounds, on the other hand, offer a 28 day policy. Certainly those MS, reduced by £200, are worth serious consideration. They offer very similar SQ to my RS6s.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Any idea what the Tannoy Revolution DC6T would be like too? They're slightly over what I'd be looking to spend but the reviews seem good.

I've seen a few comments about both the MS and Tannoys being a bit bright but could it be anything like the Silver MAs?

roym90 said:
Any idea what the Tannoy Revolution DC6T would be like too? They're slightly over what I'd be looking to spend but the reviews seem good.

I've seen a few comments about both the MS and Tannoys being a bit bright but could it be anything like the Silver MAs?

Sorry, no idea about the Tannoys.

There has been a number of comments on here about them being shrill also. Most speakers can sound bright or shrill if you get the partnering wrong. In your case the MS look the safest choice.

Can you not take your amp and speakers into a local Richer Sounds and compare it to MS and Tannoy? I'm sure they won't object if you're seriously purchasing.

When I've been to dems I've [practically] taken the kitchen sink in to get the best feel. ;)

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll certainly make sure I demo this time! I noticed a Creek CD player and MS speakers in the window of my local dealer the other day, so I'll see if he has the Avianos first. Shame it wasn't there when I first put a system together. The nearest Richer sounds is about an hour away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts