Replacing a vintage Rotel

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It's time to upgrade and I need help. I have a pair of b&w dm601 s1 and a vintage Rotel RX-504. I want to buy the pioneer pd-d6 and the a-a6-j. I will replace the speakers by the end of this year, but until then I am stuck with the 601 s1.

Any thoughts on the pioneers+601s1? Any help is appreciated. I am buying the b&w 685 or something similar by the end of the year, but I want a nice sound in the following months. Other option in my country is the Harman Kardon HK970 integrated amplifier (I've heard it with the 685s and i like it, but again haven't heard it with the 601s1). I have the following choice/prices Pioneer a-a6-j ~ 350eur, pd-d6 ~ 350eur, HK970 ~ 360eur, Marantz PM6002 ~ 400eur(too much for me). I will need a matching sacd/cd player if I decide to buy the HK970.

A

Anonymous

I would go with the Pioneer if I were you...*then again the thought of the 504 is twice as inviting*...NO. HUGHES, TELL YOURSELF "vintage gear is rubbish, vintage gear is rubbish, vintage gear..."

A

Anonymous

Thank Hughes123. I am still keeping my 504 on the shelf.

A

Anonymous

Good Good! The 685s should suit both of them quite well...perhaps a little bright on the Pioneer...but only a little.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]is there no chance of the rotel 06 range or do you just fancy a change.[/quote]

The funny thing is, the new Rotels sound nothing like the warm, thick, gloopy old ones...they sound have quite a clinical sound if you ask me. You could try the Arcam A70 + CD73 too...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I had a HK integrated for a while and it was great fun. Kind of regret I've sold it (thats why I'll always keep my PM66KI, even if it lives in box/spare room).

If the newer ones are anything as good (or better?) they are extremely punchy with forthright mids and should go well with the B&W's which are quite dull (relaxed
emotion-5.gif
) speakers. If you like it lively I'd choose HK, as an allrounder probably the Marantz. The Pioneer I've only heard once and it sounds like a rotel, in other words not very nice.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gregory"]is there no chance of the rotel 06 range or do you just fancy a change.[/quote]

Yep I want a little change and also the rotel is a little over my budget right now.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]You could try the Arcam A70 + CD73 too...[/quote]

I would like that but none of the stores in my country are selling Arcam...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts