Replacing A needle and stylus on Rega Planar 2

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Is there anyone who might help me with a turntable question!?

So I need to replace my stylus/needle on my 1980's Rega Planar 2. Advice on what kind of stylus/needle to purchase? I think I need to remove the old stylus from the cartridge but I have no idea how- is it possible that the cartridge and needle are one piece and that I may need to purchase an entirely new cartridge? Tips on removing and reattaching the wires or links to any helpful information would be so very much appreciated!

Cheers!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Kat Graden said:

So I need to replace my stylus/needle on my 1980's Rega Planar 2. Advice on what kind of stylus/needle to purchase? I think I need to remove the old stylus from the cartridge but I have no idea how- is it possible that the cartridge and needle are one piece and that I may need to purchase an entirely new cartridge? Tips on removing and reattaching the wires or links to any helpful information would be so very much appreciated!

Cheers!

Do you know what cartridge it is?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Kat Graden said:

Cheers!

If there is one within reach, use him, much easier than trying to do it yourself. Only use a Rega dealer though.

Decent new cartridge, get him to fit a new belt and mat and you are good to go. Depending on what the dealer has, try and spend around £60-80 plus a few pounds for belt and mat. About £100 all up.

ifor said:
Kat Graden said:

Cheers!

I don't think we can be of much assistance until we know the cartridge concerned and I would assume that it has already been aligned.

In those days it was unusual for a deck to come pre-fitted with a cartridge so it could have anything fitted to the tonearm at the moment.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
ifor said:
Kat Graden said:

Cheers!

I don't think we can be of much assistance until we know the cartridge concerned and I would assume that it has already been aligned.

In those days it was unusual for a deck to come pre-fitted with a cartridge so it could have anything fitted to the tonearm at the moment.

And it could be practically anything, replacement stylii may not even be available.

Unless the player is very early it will have the black rega arm which has a fixed headshell. Very difficult for anyone inexperienced to fit a new cartridge, really. go to a rega dealer and get it done properly.

davedotco said:
Al ears said:
ifor said:
Kat Graden said:

Cheers!

And it could be practically anything, replacement stylii may not even be available.

Unless the player is very early it will have the black rega arm which has a fixed headshell. Very difficult for anyone inexperienced to fit a new cartridge, really. go to a rega dealer and get it done properly.

I quite agree if a new cartridge is actually required. If however, it is simply a case of replacing the stylus in most common cartridges then it's simply a case of pulling out the old and slotting a new one in.

But, as I said, it's too early to say until the OP comes back to this thread and tells us which cartridge is currently fitted, and possibly when it was fitted. If it's original then you are corrrect in that the whole thing probably needs replacing, so off to a dealer.

TRENDING THREADS