Question Replacement speakers

Musicman2

Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
Hello all newbie here, my old mission 760i have started to rattle on the bass speaker so looking to upgrade to something new. My budget is around £200 and something with front ported, room approx 16/18ft square and wall mounted. I'm after honest opinions from users, mission 220 currently on offer. Have liked at the 9.1 Diamonds and the elac debut but is their anything I'm not considering? Thanks for any replies

Musicman2

Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
The 2 I'm looking at are currently wharfdale 9.1 or the diamond 220 and will be wall mounted. I'm using an old pioneer A300 amp and NAD CD player. Which of these two would compliment the best ?

matthewpianist

I'm very familiar with all 3 versions of the 760, including the 760i. I'm also very familiar with the Pioneer A400 (but not the A300), and I've owned both the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s, several Q Acoustics speakers and Triangle Borea BR02s.

The Diamond 9.1s are a great option for the money and will complement your Pioneer well, though I wouldn't say they're any better than your Missions. They will scale up surprisingly well if you make other system upgrades too. The Triangle Borea BR02s are more capable all-round, and if you can find a pair within budget they're worth getting.

I've never heard a bad pair of Q Acoustics speakers, but they are rear-ported so they don't completely fulfil your requirements.

Musicman2

Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
I'm very familiar with all 3 versions of the 760, including the 760i. I'm also very familiar with the Pioneer A400 (but not the A300), and I've owned both the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s, several Q Acoustics speakers and Triangle Borea BR02s.

The Diamond 9.1s are a great option for the money and will complement your Pioneer well, though I wouldn't say they're any better than your Missions. They will scale up surprisingly well if you make other system upgrades too. The Triangle Borea BR02s are more capable all-round, and if you can find a pair within budget they're worth getting.

I've never heard a bad pair of Q Acoustics speakers, but they are rear-ported so they don't completely fulfil your requirements.
The BR02 also look to be rear ported, the BR03 appear to be front and looks are appealing apart from the new price. Thanks for the reply

The BR02 also look to be rear ported, the BR03 appear to be front and looks are appealing apart from the new price. Thanks for the reply
I agree with Matthew aside from the QA, because they specifically sell wall mounts for the smallest 3010i and 3020i , so have to assume they work well that way. (I own stand-mounted 3020i)

I’ve also heard the smallest Dali models at a pals, high up on a kitchen wall sounding surprisingly good.

matthewpianist

I agree with Matthew aside from the QA, because they specifically sell wall mounts for the smallest 3010i and 3020i , so have to assume they work well that way. (I own stand-mounted 3020i)

I’ve also heard the smallest Dali models at a pals, high up on a kitchen wall sounding surprisingly good.

I used to have a pair of Dali Spektor 2s placed very badly inside a full height Ikea Kallax unit. They should have sounded dreadful, but they remained musically enjoyable (driven by a Bluesound Powernode).

The only thing I'd suggest is a relative negative towards Q Acoustics, although compact they are pretty deep, my hunch is they'll need a little breathing space.
True enough, and I always think it’s vital to see ‘in the flesh‘ unless buyers are very good with tape measures and visualising things. Up high it shouldn’t intrude and stays safe from prying fingers - the most damaging to speakers. Who doesn’t love a button ( tweeter) to press!

True enough, and I always think it’s vital to see ‘in the flesh‘ unless buyers are very good with tape measures and visualising things. Up high it shouldn’t intrude and stays safe from prying fingers - the most damaging to speakers. Who doesn’t love a button ( tweeter) to press!
Agreed.

The only thing I'll say about getting them high enough out of harms way, you won't hear their true value as most home speakers should be positioned at around ear height once sitting in a average chair/sofa.

matthewpianist

Dali is a good option given that placement, as the wide dispersion tweeter will come into its own. You can tell the Spektors are built to a price (though they're still nicely made for the money), but they are very capable and less likely to boom than competitors such as the Mission LX Mk2 series.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Musicman2

Apr 1, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies, in the end a friend recommended some 2nd hand B&W 601 which I have now purchased. As it's an old system sort of made sense to keep it retro so to speak, very pleased with them and better than the .missions they have replaced 👌

Reactions: nopiano

Crit1Q

Feb 7, 2023
Visit site
Hello all newbie here, my old mission 760i have started to rattle on the bass speaker so looking to upgrade to something new. My budget is around £200 and something with front ported, room approx 16/18ft square and wall mounted. I'm after honest opinions from users, mission 220 currently on offer. Have liked at the 9.1 Diamonds and the elac debut but is their anything I'm not considering? Thanks for any replies
Hello! I'd be happy to provide some suggestions based on your preferences and budget.

The Mission 220 speakers are a solid option, especially if you are a fan of the Mission sound signature. Another option to consider is the Q Acoustics 3020i speakers, which are highly regarded for their sound quality and value for money. They also have a front ported design and can be wall mounted.

Another speaker you could consider is the Wharfedale Diamond 220, which has a similar sound signature to the Mission speakers but with a more modern design. However, they may be slightly out of your budget.

Alternatively, you could consider the Edifier R1280DB powered bookshelf speakers, which are a great all-in-one solution that have a front ported design and can be wall mounted. They have received many positive reviews for their sound quality and value for money.

Overall, there are many great options out there that fit your requirements. It's always a good idea to listen to the speakers before making a purchase to ensure that they meet your expectations. Good luck with your search!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts