Replacement speaker advice

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello all. I am after some suggestions for speaker upgrade. I currently have Dali Zensor 3 speakers with Marantz PM 7005 amp and CD6005. I listen to most of my music using my laptop via a USB into the amps DAC AND Tidal. The CD player does get used also just nowhere near as much.

My room is approx 25ft x 15ft. The speakers are fairly close to the wall (max 30cm out) with little room either side of them.

The Zensor 3's are a great speaker but I'm not convinced that they match my amp perfectly. They sound a little bright at times and while I have read a lot or of reviews complementing the bass I am not bowled over by it.

Having said that I have the bug to upgrade and have a budget of £600 (slightly higher if the right speakers are out there and I have to wait a bit longer).

I have every very intention of getting out a having auditions but I would appreciate some suggestions so I can focus my attention. I don't mind stanmounts or Floorstnders.

Thanks in advance.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
You should bring your amp to nearest dealer. I'd look at floor standing speakers. There's deals on tannoys xt 6f and Q acoustics 3050i and even 2050i around as well as many others well under your budget.

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
muljao said:
You should bring your amp to nearest dealer. I'd look at floor standing speakers. There's deals on tannoys xt 6f and Q acoustics 3050i and even 2050i around as well as many others well under your budget.
Thanks. The dealer where I bought my amp/cd sells the XT6F and 3050's so shouldn't be much of a problem getting an audition.

insider9

I owned Zensor 3 and share your opinion that they don't go well with new Marantz gear. Even a cheaper Onkyo A9010 would do a far better job. I'd suggest you give it a listen as it may change your mind about speakers. They're probably still too small for your room though.

Floorstanders for the room that size would be the way to go as Muljao said. If you're considering Tannoy then DC6T second hand would cost not much more than what you'd get for Zensors. I sold my Zensors for circa £200 and mint Tannoys for circa £250.

Sadly won't comment on Marantz matching as not a big fan of what I've heard (except for vintage models both amps and CD players which were rather good). I should probably demo some higher models of Marantz to have more balanced view :)

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I going to audition some Q acoustics 3050 and 2050 in the next couple of weeks. The dealer I bought my amp/cd from have the 3050's as an open box for £399. Sadly they are in Walnut and my wife says they wil not match our furniture. I think I may have bought them at that price without listening.

I am still intersted in other suggestions. Has any one experienced the Dynaudio Emit 10 with a Marantz amp?

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
http://blog.son-video.com/en/2015/02/review-focal-aria-906/

The Focal Aria 906 get good reviews and in the above link they were reviewed with Marantz Amp. Anyone got any experience with this combo?

rainsoothe

chrisrock said:
http://blog.son-video.com/en/2015/02/review-focal-aria-906/

The Focal Aria 906 get good reviews and in the above link they were reviewed with Marantz Amp. Anyone got any experience with this combo?

I only have experience with the Aria 906 but not with Marantz. They sound big, detailed but very smooth treble, might be just what you're looking for. And I think they recently dropped in price, so there aren't better (for me) for the money. I drove them with Supernait 2, Arcam A19, Unitiqute 2, UQ2 + Nap100, and heard them with Creek 50A - they never sounded harsh.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts