Replacement for Squeezebox

chrisdorr

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I currently have a Logitech Squeezebox multiroom system. It runs off my apple lossless files and streams to four rooms. In rooms I care less about I have the all in one "squeezebox boom" but in the rooms I care about I use the optical out from a £100 reciever and have an external DAC.

Since logitech no longer make them I'm looking to replace but can't find anything to fill my needs. Something like Sonos feels like a waste of money, buying expensive units only to run a digital out to my own DAC. Systems like uPlay don't give the choice of a digital out.

Ideally I'd have something phone / tablet controlled which has the option of an all in one player but also has an inexpesive option for receivers intended to be used for digital outputs.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

cleggton

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't replace them.

Squeezebox and squeezebox server is still alive and well in the open source community.

If you don't mind a tiny amount of DIY you can build a squeezebox clone using a raspberry Pi. http://www.raspberrypi.org/

A piece of software called picore player https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

And an I2S dac such as the HifiBerry or Hifiberry Digi https://www.hifiberry.com/

All that is required is a small amount of plug and play and a little software configuration through a web interface. Though you won't get a display or any physical controls....perfectly fine if you use the web or phone apps.

Porknocker

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I have two of the Touch, and one SB3. The only way I am going to part with them is when they go dead. There is nothing on the market right now that can do all of what the Touch managed to achieve years ago.

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a Squeezebox Touch im my lounge system. I run it from battery power (avoiding the need to buy an expensive Linear Power Supply). The same 22000mah battery powers my Beresford Bushmaster MKII DAC and Capella Head Amp. The sound is superb - I have no intention to replace my SBT. As far as I can see nothing on the market can touch it for functionality or sound (especially for the £135 I paid - on Special Offer from Amazon).

I have built a Squeezebox Touch clone using Squeezeplug, a Raspberry Pi and Wolfson Audio Card in a custom box for about £60. The Pi/Wolfson clone is used in my bedroom system but if anything ever happens to the SBT I will simply use the Pi in the lounge instead.

Don't get rid of your SBT's they are like gold dust at the moment and go for big money secondhand (Logitech were mad to discontinue them).

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm still using 2 duets. One for the living room, one in the kitchen.

I also have the "Squeezeplay" Android app which makes your Android phone a Squeezebox receiver.

All good, although I *may* need to replace them soon as my ageing NAS drive is starting to malfunction :(

(It's a Netgear with the Squeezebox server software built in and I do not want to go to using a computer).

If I do, I will probably go for the Denon HEOS as it has Spotify Connect support...One irritation of Squeezebox/Spotify is the lack of all the Spotify app goodies :(

MadSquirrel

May 31, 2009
Visit site
If it were me then I'd hang on to the Squeezeboxes. I have two myself (the non-wifi version branded Slim Devices, before the Logitech buy-out).

However, if you're determined to replace them I'd be happy to take the old ones off your hands. *biggrin*

bugeyed

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I have a Bluesound Node & am very happy with it's performance. Very good support with an active user forum that the company participates on.

kev

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
bugeyed said:
I have a Bluesound Node & am very happy with it's performance. Very good support with an active user forum that the company participates on.

kev

Nice machine but ludicrously expensive for what it is.

What really irritates me with Bluesound/Sonos is that an all-in-one speaker, with built in "bridge" (in the case of Sonos) and obviously the electronics to take and stream music from the network can cost less than a box that does the same thing without the speaker!

Give me a Squeezebox replacement that is essentially a box with analogue and optical out that can stream from a Networked hard drive without the proprietary software (like the Squeezebox) and I'm in.

r_o_n_n_i

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
I have Sqeezebox Touch for almost 3 years and still love it.

To improve sound quality I added extenal DAC (AudioGD NFB3), replaced digital cable with AcousticZen coaxial cable.

The sound is very good, some user also replace the power supply and they are happy.

I auditioned Sonos but not impressed with the sound

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
fr0g said:
Give me a Squeezebox replacement that is essentially a box with analogue and optical out that can stream from a Networked hard drive without the proprietary software (like the Squeezebox) and I'm in.

so that would be a rapberry pi with one of the add on sound modules + rune audio/volumio, or an nuc or similar small pc running daphile/vortexbox. simples.

Tomas

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Have you considered something like Minix Neo X8 - H? Ok, it got no display but you can control it via your android Smartphon. I use optical output and so far it works fine.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
fr0g said:

so that would be a rapberry pi with one of the add on sound modules + rune audio/volumio, or an nuc or similar small pc running daphile/vortexbox. simples.

Aye. Must have Spotify connect too :)

So an Android based box seems a decent idea. But I must admit to liking the Sonos style solution too, although I'd probaby go for the Denon equivalent.

TRENDING THREADS