Replacement for Roland UA-25

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24.

My replacement DAC arrived today and I'll be putting it through its paces soon.

It was fairly quick to set up and can now act as a standalone DAC, as it has its own power supply, unlike the USB powered UA-25.

In addition to the firewire connection for the Mac to control, power and supply digital data to the DAC, there are two additional digital inputs, one coax and the other optical, so allowing for hook up to two additional sources.

Time will tell if there is any reason to move on to the DACmagic Plus, for now not, as I don't have any high res files.

So far the benefits are better preamps, more inputs and the main reason for buying, the ability to act in standalone mode. I cannot vouch for music playback, but the audio on DVD playback is excellent.

I will post some pics later.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Finally got around to taking a couple of shots. The Saffire works very well and does everything that I need and much more.

I think that beyond aesthetics and maybe amount of inputs, this is all the DAC I'll need.

macndac1.jpg

And a pic of what the unit is driving.

macndac2.jpg

Utterchaos23

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi Overdose.

I'm in the process of concidering an upgrade to my UA-25EX too.

I'm looking at the Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 with the idea that it appears to have the same DAC chip at the Apogee Duet, which is out of my buget, a CS4272

I'm pretty happy with my input quality with the UA25 but I'm hoping to improve the output I get from the RCAs - is yours any better?

Did you ever go further and get a Audio Dac? I'm also concidering the DacMagic 100.

Thanks,

James

TRENDING THREADS