Replacement for Marantz amp with faulty channel?

Sago

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
My Marantz PM 6010OSE amp had a faulty channel that Richer sounds repaired about a year ago - with a short warranty - and which has now developed the same fault. It's a nice amp but it lacks a few modern connectors so I think it's time to get a new one.

We have a Pioneer turntable and a 'record collection' as well as cds. The speakers are Heybrook HB2s. The tuner and cd player are budget items. If possible I want to play MP3s via the amp, and connect our Samsung Smart TV for sound if that can be done.

I'm looking for clarity on low volume, speech, and music without much base.

I want the system to feed to speakers in 2 rooms but I think that's a separate issue involving streaming via our home network, using Sonos speakers in the second room (??)

My question is which amp will giive me these modern connections and still support the turntable. I'd be looking to spend less than £300 if possible.

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I would respectfully disagree with Trev and say the amplifier can make a huge differeece to sound quality. Although speakers and room placement are equally important.

I used to have a Marantz PM6010 OSE and although it was an acceptable amp in its day there is definite room for improvment for a modest outlay. I upgraded to a Rotel RA-02 from my old Marantz and the difference was remarkable. I now have a Marantz PM6005 as well as the Rotel and there is very little discernable difference between the two.

The PM6005 would certainly be worth looking at, it has 2x digital inputs but no USB input, what do you plan to listen to MP3s through?

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
"Although some people strongly feel otherwise, good amplifiers of comparable quality and power that are not being overdriven will sound very much alike under most conditions to most people".

http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm

Garett said:
I now have a Marantz PM6005 as well as the Rotel and there is very little discernable difference between the two

The RA-02 was £350 in 2002 so would be roughly comparable price wise to the PM6005 these days. Both are a significant step up over a PM6010 OSE that would have been £250 in 1999. From personal experience they are not of comparable quality and the OP would hear an increase in reproduction over the 6010 OSE.

I can't vouch for the Yamaha Trev suggested as I've not heard it myself, although it had a good if not glowing review in a HI-Fi choice group test from July 2014.

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Try audition the onkyo a9050. You will like the sound very clean n clear and dynamic. Digital connections to. Phono moving magnet. Steal at £279 new. Somewhere I see online. All customers reviews I have seen love this gem.

ntoolan

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I would concur with Garett's comments. I used to have the PM6010 KI Sig and replaced this with a PM-6005 just over 12 months ago when my amp also developed a problem with one of the channels. I certainly noticed a marked (if not significant) improvement in sound quality (esp low end frequencies) following the upgrade.

In addition to Garett's points, it worth noting that the PM-6005 also has 2 sets of speaker terminals on the back panel and a speaker a/b option on the front meaning that you can connect 2 sets of speakers to the amp and choose to listen to either A, B or both at the same time ( I use both terminals for biwiring to a single set of speakers). Lastly the amp also has a 'loudness' feature which is supposed to boost the low and high end frequencies for when listening at low volume so you don't lose these. I've not used this myself so it might be a bit gimmiky but another consideration with your requirements in mind.

If you shop around you should be able to find the amp for £250 or a little under

Sago

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm intrigued by the Yamama AS201 cos it's so cheap and the PM6005 seems worth a look too. I've only bought amplifiers 3 times so I've little experience but it does sound as though with my limited demands on the system quality will be good enough for me regardless.

Garrett - for MP3s I used to link my iPod via a Pure dock to the Aux terminals using an RCA cable. Alas, my iPod died and currently I connect either my old (spare) mac mini or my very old (spare) iPhone from the headphone socket to the Aux via the same cable. (The iPhone dock connector is faulty and won't work with the Pure dock). Not brilliant sound-wise but OK. Now I'm wondering if it's easier to link the mac to the amp via our home network, but as yet I don't know whether I'd need a NAS box etc.

I haven't seen amps with USB connectors - can anyone point me to these? Thanks.

My Samsung smart TV (which doesn't get ITV Player (so not so smart it seems) has a million connections but I've not yet looked to see how it might work through an amp.

D

Deleted member 108165

ntoolan said:
In addition to Garett's points, it worth noting that the PM-6005 also has 2 sets of speaker terminals on the back panel and a speaker a/b option on the front meaning that you can connect 2 sets of speakers to the amp and choose to listen to either A, B or both at the same time ( I use both terminals for biwiring to a single set of speakers). Lastly the amp also has a 'loudness' feature which is supposed to boost the low and high end frequencies for when listening at low volume so you don't lose these. I've not used this myself so it might be a bit gimmiky but another consideration with your requirements in mind.

Sorry mate but that ain't no loudness feature and it's certainly not a gimmick. It is a Source Direct button and has nothing to do with loudness; it by-passes the tone controls and to my ears renders a far more open and detailed soundstage. I speak from experience as a previous owner of the PM6004 and a current owner of the PM KI.

TrevC

DougK said:
ntoolan said:

Sorry mate but that ain't no loudness feature and it's certainly not a gimmick. It is a Source Direct button and has nothing to do with loudness; it by-passes the tone controls and to my ears renders a far more open and detailed soundstage. I speak from experience as a previous owner of the PM6004 and a current owner of the PM KI.

Actually there is a loudness button on that model and it does work in the way described. Can be handy for low level listening.

D

Deleted member 108165

TrevC said:
DougK said:
ntoolan said:

Actually there is a loudness button on that model and it does work in the way described. Can be handy for low level listening.

Oops, sorry about that
omg_smile.gif
, memory is not as good as it used to be.

Sago

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Wll in the end I bought a Cambbdige Audio Azur 351A amp, which is reviewed favourably in WHF. This was partly because our listening habits have changed - no bass stuff or very high volume these days - and partly because it has MP3 and USB connectors, wihch means the mac and the SMART telly will play via the amp easily.

I did need a phone stage for our turntable and initally Richer Sounds told me I didn't, so in the end they sold that to me at half price. So in all £300 which I'm very pleased with.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

See my separate post about CD players.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts