Replacement for Linn K9 Cart....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need to change my stylus soon, and mainly for reasons of budget, I was thinking about changing to the ortofon 2m red (most reviews suggest the to be fairly average re: matching and tonality, which is generally good). Are there any other decent MM's worth considering [this might be the pandora's box moment] on a studenty budget ?

Just for background, my planar 2 & rb300 combo is pretty well modded; single strand silver wire, rewired cart, new weight, and (even though a check with google looked exactly the same as mine) it appears the sort of 'foot' of the arm, (the bit with the lock attached) is (for reasons unknown to me) made by Avid. Anyhow, it punches above the weight of the standard planar 2.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
2M red will be your friend. Audio Technica AT-120e is also good.

2M is brighter, AT more neutral, both great carts.

Other normally recommended carts (Denon DL-110, AT-440ML) have had their prices hiked recently from £80ish to £120ish.

A

Anonymous

Cheers, I'd noticed that seemed to be pretty well thought of. Don't suppose anyone knows of a cheap force gague and level?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Much as expected, one off, but amazed you didn't suggest the OP glue the end of a darning needle on his cartridge as that would work just as well.

:light bulb: :eek:)

This spirit bubble is probably the handiest item I've bought in a long time. At just 15 mm in diameter it fits onto headshells perfectly and at just £2.99 you can't go wrong. For a tracking force gauge I think you also can't go wrong with a Shure SFG-2. Buy a new one on Amazon.

A

Anonymous

gpi:Andrew Everard:Much as expected, one off, but amazed you didn't suggest the OP glue the end of a darning needle on his cartridge as that would work just as well.
:light bulb: :eek:)This spirit bubble is probably the handiest item I've bought in a long time. At just 15 mm in diameter it fits onto headshells perfectly and at just £2.99 you can't go wrong. For a tracking force gauge I think you also can't go wrong with a Shure SFG-2. Buy a new one on Amazon.

dont know why you have to ridicule a perfectly good suggestion those small spirit levels from hardware shops are just as good as anything else

i was going to recommend an ortofon tracking force guage but i suppose theres something wrong with that too

A

Anonymous

anyway andrew i see from your recent posts you dont think im a suitable person for this forum so will stop contributing now

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
hiphen:

Cheers, I'd noticed that seemed to be pretty well thought of. Don't suppose anyone knows of a cheap force gague and level?

I use this for all turntable/support/speaker levelling.

I use this for checking tracking force. (Shop around and you should find them for £25) also Ortofon do a much cheaper version for about £5 - £7 depending on where you can find one.

The Audio-Technica cartridge is more likely to share a similar sound to your K9. (The K9 was made by Audio Technica.)

[Edit] Just read the whole thread. Sorry for duplicating suggestions made by other people.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
I use this for checking tracking force. .

Obviously your eyesight is still up to scratch then chebby.
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:chebby:
I use this for checking tracking force. .

Obviously your eyesight is still up to scratch then chebby.
emotion-1.gif

It is very easy to use and the slanting mirror shows you exactly when the two 'blade' points meet. Tapping the little slider along with a match or small screwdriver to the required mark does not require 'hawk' like vision and the 1x and 2x grooves are easy to see and very smooth so are unlikely to damage the stylus when positioning it..

If you find it difficult to see then do it when sunny or use a desk-lamp and/or a magnifying glass or your reading glasses.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
hiphen:

I use this for all turntable/support/speaker levelling.

I use this for checking tracking force. (Shop around and you should find them for £25) also Ortofon do a much cheaper version for about £5 - £7 depending on where you can find one.

The Audio-Technica cartridge is more likely to share a similar sound to your K9. (The K9 was made by Audio Technica.)

[Edit] Just read the whole thread. Sorry for duplicating suggestions made by other people.

Crikey chebby, how do you fit that spirit level onto your headshell, lol?

I love using my Shure gauge and do so often as I'm always trying different carts and headshells, it's a wonderful piece of kit.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I dont'.

I use it to level the TT support and then to check the plinth and platter.

It is a 10" spirit level so fits fine on support/plinth/platter.

My turntable has no adjustment for headshell levelling/azimuth anyway, so I just make sure the platter is level (back -> front and side -> side).

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
So there's no vta adjustment on the Rega tt's? What if you install a much deeper cart and play a 200g record? You have to put up with the stylus at the wrong angle?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gpi:So there's no vta adjustment on the Rega tt's? What if you install a much deeper cart and play a 200g record? You have to put up with the stylus at the wrong angle?

Rega make spacers for those who need them. (And an adjustable one for those with Rega 3 point fixing arms like the RB251 and RB301.)

Rega optimise all their decks/arms for their own cartridges (of course) and if a customer wants 'live' VTA adjustment (to account for different record thicknesses) then there are solutions made by Origin Live or Michell.

If that lot is no good then the user basically should have bought a completely different TT and arm
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

hiphen:Thanks alot for all that guys
take it thats omitting andrew who had nothing positive to add

TRENDING THREADS