Replacement Cartridge for Linn K9 on Rega Planar 3

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi folks,

Thinking of buying a Rega Planar 3 with RB300 and Linn K9 from a friend. However, he tells me that the stylus is defunct (Small children and fragile hi-fi not getting on apparently!) so it will need replacing. Having done some research, it appears that a replacement is not available any more. So, my question is, what reasonably priced replacement would any of you aural experts out there recommend ? Also, would it be worth me mounting it on a seperate wall shelf or just getting another shelf for my atacama equinox?

Thanks

Rob

A

Anonymous

Someone else probably will come on this, but if I remember correctly the K9 was a modified AT cartridge, so logic would say an AT 120 or above if you want to preserve the same character.ÿ

My preference has always been Ortofon, and the 2M series has been getting good reviews. I'd say Grado as well but no-one seems to rate them outside France and the US.ÿ

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

It all rather depends on your budget. If you need to keep costs down to a minimum, then the Audio Technica AT-95E is a great choice (whisper it, but it's the same internals as the K9!).

If you can spend a little more, then look at the Denon DL-110 (£70ish). It's a moving-coil cartridge, but one that can be plugged into a normal phono input on your amplifier. I love mine - it gives the sound I think vinyl should! At roughly the same price is the Ortofon 2M Red - again a great cart.

Above that, something like the Audio-Techica AT-440ML (£120)is a great choice, if a little bright for some tastes. The Ortofon 2M Blue comes in at roughly the same cost. I don't know if I would venture much above the 440/2M Blue for the P3/300.

Regarding the support, if your floor is suspended (i.e. floorboards/chipboard) then I would go for the wall shelf. If not, then the additional shelf for your atacama should do fine.

Hope this helps!

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Both great minds indeed! Thanks to you both. I shall be off to see if I can find a local Audio Technica and Ortofon dealer - don't want to spend too much as I remember 2 x Ortofon FF15 (which were as smooth as silk in my old system) and then a Shure N75, being decimated over a matter of months by my own then much younger offspring who although now are older, are even clumsier ! We are lucky to have nice thick solid concrete floors so another Atacama shelf - ebay here I come !

Thanks for your help

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts