Cartridge advice

pGoff

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Looking for some cartridge advice

i have a Rega planar 3 with a linn k9 cartridge and also a Sony ps-x600 turntable with a broken ortofon cartridge

The Sony deck was reasonably well regarded in it's day so was thinking of either replacing the broken cartridge with something entry level - or fitting the k9 and getting something better on the rega (denon dl110 / AT440ma / Edwards audio (recommendation from the local hifi shop))

So the question is whether spending around £120 on a cartridge would be a noticeable improvement from the k9

Thanks

There are several earlier threads about the K9, and you might find this helpful:-

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/linn-k9-stylus-replacement-options

The AT/95 is one if those that some swear by even in very expensive arms. It's well worth a try. The Rega can probably take something much better if you have the budget. The Denon you mention is a high output moving coil, which you can use in your regular mm inputs

It might also be worth trying the 95 on the Sony, about which I recall little except a non-standard head shell, I think? Are you sure all the auto functions are ok, as it must be 35 years old?! Would be a shame if it trashed a new stylus!

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Excellent cartridge, well suited to Rega arms. It is a definite upgrade from the K9, which, as mentioned, was a Linn tweaked AT95.

pGoff said:

i have a Rega planar 3 with a linn k9 cartridge and also a Sony ps-x600 turntable with a broken ortofon cartridge

The Sony deck was reasonably well regarded in it's day so was thinking of either replacing the broken cartridge with something entry level - or fitting the k9 and getting something better on the rega (denon dl110 / AT440ma / Edwards audio (recommendation from the local hifi shop))

So the question is whether spending around £120 on a cartridge would be a noticeable improvement from the k9

Thanks

Yes, and if it was me I would query why you want two decks??

pGoff said:

Thanks

Yes, and if it was me I would query why you want two decks??

Sell the Sony and use money to stick something really good on Rega.

Failing that Shure M97xe.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts