Replacement for a dear old amp

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have set up a system in my bedroom using old hi fi that I've updated but never sold.

Wadia I-pod transport using Apple lossless / Cambridge DAC Magic / Qunex interconnects / Technics A600 MK3 / B&W CM1

The Technics A600 MK3 is as light as a feather compared to modern amps; unfortunately so is the sound.

Everything has moved on so much since I bought it the best part of twenty years ago.

Can anyone suggest a decent modern amp around the £200 to £250 mark that could replace it?

Seem to be plenty of new (but old stock) Marantz PM600x models about, given that they seem to put out a new model every 6 months.

Or does anyone think I'm being too hard on the old Technics dog given that I'm probably just used to listening to modern Cyrus / Audiolab etc?

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I was interested in the Denon too, for another system.
Matthew - how are you finding the Zensor 3? I have the 1s in my upstairs setup and they sound amazing (though bass a bit light).

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi jerry, I have heard a few budjet amps recently.....

there are some superb new low cost amps out now

just bought a onkyo 9030, apart from minor niggles at the moment the sound is foot tappingly good at this price , very impressed, and the phase matching bass is not a gimmick as I expected, it does add a dose of weight if needed without muddying up the pace of the sound, probably best left off though

The Denon 720 is a another budjet gem, very energetic sound if needed

Have you consdered the marantz PM6004, another lovely sounding amp for just a little more cash, very fluid sounding

The Yamaha AS500 is another decent amp, very detailed , and not as bright as they say, to my ears,

minio

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the Yamaha AS 500 along with MA RX1. I have enjoyed this combo for over a year but now I would like to consider an upgrade of speaker to GX50. These would suit my stands and decor perfectly (I love the walnut finish) but I am wondering if a £300 amp will be a good match for these speakers ?

minio

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the Yamaha AS 500 along with MA RX1. I have enjoyed this combo for over a year but now I would like to consider an upgrade of speaker to GX50. The top end (treble) should be particularly improved and this appeals. These would suit my stands and decor perfectly (I love the walnut finish) but I am wondering if a £300 amp will be as a good match for these speakers ?

matthewpiano

jerry klinger said:
I was interested in the Denon too, for another system. Matthew - how are you finding the Zensor 3? I have the 1s in my upstairs setup and they sound amazing (though bass a bit light).

Brilliant. I love them and they sound so involving and engaging with the very wide range of music I listen to. I can only recommend them. All the qualities of the 1s but with greater sense of balance due to the larger bass/mid driver and cabinet.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The NAD C326BEE is a very good amp IMO, such a full and rich sound with clean power delivery and good facilities. It's a £300'ish amp, but I'm sure it can be picked up in your price range if you shop around.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a pair of GX50 after auditioning them with Roksan CD / amp. They sounded great in the demo room.

Put them in my Cyrus system and it was always too bright. This was with the 8XPDQX amp. Could never tone it down.

Put them in my Audiolab system and the relaxed nature of the 8200A took away the brightness. This is where they remain.

The issue is always around the ribbon tweeter. It can sound shrill and metallic in the wrong set up i.e. bright amp + bright cabling.

The mid / bass is pretty easy to drive from most amps. Materials are high tech / modern so you need about 50 wpc.

I won't recommend anything specifically. I've learned the error of not testing speakers with the same kit I have at home.

Finally, I'd choose copper speaker cables over silver.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts