Replacement Amp

fisheye

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I have a Technics A900 MKII Amp which is nearly 25 years old and paired with a set of Monitor Audi S8 Silver. Now I am reluctant to replace the amp as I like the deep bass sounds that some say it over does, but it has now developed a fault and it has started interferring with the sound.

I play a variety of music through this amp from a Technics SL1210 MkII Deck to MP3's on an iPod.

I have toyed with moving to a Sonos but still like the idea of having an amp for my mixing deck. What are peoples opinions for a replacement? Things have come a long way since the A900 was purchased. :)

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
If you want to buy a new amp (budget?) and like bass and prefer a sound on the warmer side ...

Peachtree Nova 125 SE

Roksan Kandy K2

Arcam A39

Magnat MA 1000

Audiolab M-Dac/Q-Dac/Pre +8200P

NAD C375Bee (energetic,more forward sound)

Unison simply italy (if you are not pushing too hard and prefer low volume listening)

are nice and good working partners for your S8 and worth to demo.

matthewpiano

I would have said the Arcam A39 would be a fine choice and will partner well with your MAs. If you want a slightly ballsier sound, then NAD would be a good alternative and would again work well with your speakers.

Given the kind of sound you like I would suggest giving the sort of amps I like (Rega, Exposure, Sugden) a miss.

rainsoothe

matthewpiano said:
I would have said the Arcam A39 would be a fine choice and will partner well with your MAs. If you want a slightly ballsier sound, then NAD would be a good alternative and would again work well with your speakers.

Given the kind of sound you like I would suggest giving the sort of amps I like (Rega, Exposure, Sugden) a miss.

Agree. For the big, ballsy sound you seem to like, NAD C375BEE seems the obvious candidate, or used Naim Supernait (the first version). Try to also audition Naim Nait 5si (or XS2 if it fits budget) and the Arcam A39 suggested above.

NOTE: you will be needing a separate phono stage for your turntable if you go for the NAD or Naim (I think the Arcam has one) - Nad PP3i or PP4, Graham Slee Communicator or Gram Amp 2 SE should be a good place to start from.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Is it a fault that could be cured with a squirt of contact cleaner in the right place?

Or the replacement of a few capacitors for £70 for a Tech to do it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts