replacement amp

Soundman1

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
im looking for a replacement amp for my completely dead naim nait 5 amp ive been toying the idea with a kenwood kaf1030 or something similar my system consists of project xpression ,cambridge audio dab300,sony mini disc ,denon cassette deck ,onkyo c730 cd player and B&W dm602s. I'm looking for something with 5 inputs and able to run 2 pairs of speakers

Last edited:

Soundman1

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
Odd choice. What is your budget?
I have a budget of £300 I was looking at the kenwood kaf1030 as a mate of mine has a old kenwood amp with b&w dm110s and it sounded good also got a hifi rack with narrow shelves on it so needed a pretty slim amp to go on it

Gray

im looking for a replacement amp for my completely dead naim nait 5 amp
As faults go (provided it hasn't been run over by a steamroller) dead is the best one.
Have you checked the 'secret' fuse on your Naim?
If not, with the mains connector removed from the back panel, open up the fuse compartment immediately to the right of the connector. A small, flat-bladed screwdriver will do it.

You might be able to see whether it's blown (a meter would confirm it).

With a bit of Christmas luck, £2.50 will soon have your amp back in action (and give you 9 spare fuses):
If it works, I'll accept 50 of the 300 quids you were about to waste 🤑

Last edited:

Soundman1

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
older mission amp,rega io,nad 3020i, Onkyo A-9010
I
As faults go (provided it hasn't been run over by a steamroller) dead is the best one.
Have you checked the 'secret' fuse on your Naim?
If not, with the mains connector removed from the back panel, open up the fuse compartment immediately to the right of the connector. A small, flat-bladed screwdriver will do it.

You might be able to see whether it's blown (a meter would confirm it).

With a bit of Christmas luck, £2.50 will soon have your amp back in action (and give you 9 spare fuses):
If it works, I'll accept 50 of the 300 quids you were about to waste 🤑
Hi I've checked everything replaced the fuse in the plug and the secret fuse and still nothing

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd get the Naim returned to Naim, and get it repaired, you need to go though a Naim dealer to do this of course, I think you will be disappointed replacing it with any of the other amplifiers you suggest. You can always upgrade the Naim with the addition of a Flatcap, or even an improved power amp, such as a 150.

The Nait5 was the second Naim amplifier I bought, I originally got a Nait 5i, which I couldn't easily connect a phono stage, so I exchanged it for a used Nait 5. That received a 150x upgrade, then a NAP200 upgrade, followed by a 202. I now use a TeddyPardo Teddycap. It has been an interesting path over the last 15 years, I am more than happy with my current sound.

Soundman1

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
I'd get the Naim returned to Naim, and get it repaired, you need to go though a Naim dealer to do this of course, I think you will be disappointed replacing it with any of the other amplifiers you suggest. You can always upgrade the Naim with the addition of a Flatcap, or even an improved power amp, such as a 150.

The Nait5 was the second Naim amplifier I bought, I originally got a Nait 5i, which I couldn't easily connect a phono stage, so I exchanged it for a used Nait 5. That received a 150x upgrade, then a NAP200 upgrade, followed by a 202. I now use a TeddyPardo Teddycap. It has been an interesting path over the last 15 years, I am more than happy with my current sound.
It's a tempory replacement amp till I send it back to naim and plus my naim was sounding a bit aggressive in the top end even with trying it with my dads arcam cd192 plugged into it and with my dads monitor audio silver s6s speakers as was trying to find out if it was my components. I still have a sneaky feeling its a power supply failure that's caused my nait 5i to die

gasolin

It's a tempory replacement amp till I send it back to naim and plus my naim was sounding a bit aggressive in the top end even with trying it with my dads arcam cd192 plugged into it and with my dads monitor audio silver s6s speakers as was trying to find out if it was my components. I still have a sneaky feeling its a power supply failure that's caused my nait 5i to die

It could be becuase your trying to play to loud and the highs get's agressive, one thing that happens if you play very close to an amps limit or above it.

Get 100 watt pr channel in 8 ohm or more (of course as good or better sound than your naim)

Soundman1

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
i tried my dads 75 watt marantz pm7200 and a mates old trio 40 watt amp and my B&Ws didnt sound agressive in the high frequencies even at really loud volumes. im going to get a replacement amp and send the nait 5 back to naim and see if it can be fixed

Gray

Hi I've checked everything replaced the fuse in the plug and the secret fuse and still nothing
That's a shame.
Dead is still a good fault to have though.
If you've got a meter (and you feel able) you could do a quick simple check.
With it set to AC volts see if you've got anything on the red, white and orange secondaries - you can follow them out of the mains transformer to the PCB between the large capacitors.
No voltage at all at that point would mean either the transformer or that back panel switch have failed.
That's when it's worth getting the rubber boot off the back of the switch and checking that out with it isolated from the mains.
It looks like a common double pole switch. If either pole of it has failed you're amp would be dead.......and it would be a very inexpensive (new switch) replacement (and avoid you sending it away).

gasolin

That's a shame.
With it set to AC volts see if you've got anything on the red, white and orange secondaries - you can follow them out of the mains transformer to the PCB between the large capacitors.
No voltage at all at that point would mean either the transformer or that back panel switch have failed.
That's when it's worth getting the rubber boot off the back of the switch and checking that out with it isolated from the mains.
It looks like a common double pole switch. If either pole of it has failed you're amp would be dead.......and it would be a very inexpensive (new switch) replacement (and avoid you sending it away).

What you suggest sounds like something not many can figure out how to do and many don't have a meter.

if he had a meter he might be able figure out what's wrong and mabye fix it, many how has a meter know more than average about electronic

He asks for help for a new,replacement amp, not what's wrong with the naim amp he has

Gray

He asks for help for a new,replacement amp, not what's wrong with the naim amp he has
I know what he asks for Gas. The point is, if someone has got a meter and is able to check a fuse.....then they are more than capable of doing other very simple checks.
Note how I said if he feels able.....I know how you like to save money.
My mission is always to save others money wherever possible (y)

Soundman1

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
That's a shame.
Thanks for that tip I think I might just do that

Reactions: Gray

Soundman1

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
What you suggest sounds like something not many can figure out how to do and many don't have a meter.

if he had a meter he might be able figure out what's wrong and mabye fix it, many how has a meter know more than average about electronic

I have a meter which I use at work as I'm a sound technician, I'm looking at getting a replacement amp so if I can't get the naim up and running again I'll have a amp that I can keep my system up and running. But I'm greatful for tips as well

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts