Remote control

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with remote controls for vista ultimate, to do away with the need to use a keyboard and mouse, basically I wanted to look at the options of converting a spare PC into a media server, but I don't need it to access the internet, it's really for storing my ripped cd's and dvd's.
Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Hiya. ÿJust setup and began using a Logitech Harmony 555 this morning. Use my MAC as a music server and it works just fine with Front Row so I'd assume that for Media purposes you'd be okay. But limited knowledge of Vista I'm afraid.

A

Anonymous

How does it pick up the signal then?, does it have a separate sensor to plug into your mac?

A

Anonymous

Sounds a cool piece of kit, so if I am correct, I would need to stick in an ide hdd and a hdmi lead to the tv and thats it?

Two concerns I have is 1) availability and 2) No flac support.

I did have a fleeting thought about using xp media centre...shudders, I guess technology still needs to catch up a bit, I did like the look of the JB7 Andrew wrote about, but again no flac support and as with the popcorn there would not be enough room on an internal drive for uncompressed storage of all my cd's...sigh.

Anyway thanks for the pointer frog it was an interesting read and it seems at least we are a step closer.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JCR1:Sounds a cool piece of kit, so if I am correct, I would need to stick in an ide hdd and a hdmi lead to the tv and thats it?

Two concerns I have is 1) availability and 2) No flac support.

I did have a fleeting thought about using xp media centre...shudders, I guess technology still needs to catch up a bit, I did like the look of the JB7 Andrew wrote about, but again no flac support and as with the popcorn there would not be enough room on an internal drive for uncompressed storage of all my cd's...sigh.

Anyway thanks for the pointer frog it was an interesting read and it seems at least we are a step closer.

Just mail order from any european site... (I think my mate used a German one taht was in English)

Also , according to the www.popcornhour.com site...
popcorn hour website:
Audio codecs:

* WMA, WMA Pro
* AAC
* MP1, MP2, MP3
* LPCM
* FLAC

A

Anonymous

Excerpt from CNet review

If you're planning on using the A-100 for music, you should be aware that the audio codec support isn't as good as the video support. The usual suspects are here, including WMA, MP3, AAC (unprotected) and WAV. No OGG or FLAC support as yet, sadly.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JCR1:Excerpt from CNet review

If you're planning on using the A-100 for music, you should be aware that the audio codec support isn't as good as the video support. The usual suspects are here, including WMA, MP3, AAC (unprotected) and WAV. No OGG or FLAC support as yet, sadly.

Interesting. Perhaps they have released a firmware update for it.

Cant say I have tried it, as my mate uses it for video only.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
From release notes, firmware Jan 2008

41. FLAC audio support added
- You will have to edit the following XML files in myiHome 4.7 and add FLAC extension
C:program FilesmyiHomewebappsROOTxmlmusic.xml
C:program FilesmyiHomewebappsROOTapplicationmusicxmlaudioext.xml

A

Anonymous

Ahh...right, looks like the cnet review is out of date...cheers froggie

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JCR1:Ahh...right, looks like the cnet review is out of date...cheers froggie

No probs... looks like CNET didnt do their homework... Only reviewed a couple of weeks ago, and didnt pick this up...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts