Reliable TV needed

AndyTake2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
My Samsung UE48JU6400K TV has the lurgy.
It has magenta blotches all over the screen, on all inputs, all test screens even after hard-reset.

I contacted Samsung, who said it needed to go to a Service Centre.
Service centre said they could do the diagnosis via photos and phone call as it was visual.
They got back to me today, and said that the only thing was screen replacement. Biggest issue? Samsung say the screen is no longer available, and the alternatives that the service centre use are also unavailable. Typical for Samsung to abandon older systems - it is 4 1/2 years old - a real old fogey.

Well, I need to replace it. The legalities of replacing it under the EU rules are a different story, but I will need to replace it anyway.
This one was provided as a replacement by John Lewis for a Sharp TV that also died on it's backside after just under 5 years.

Needless to say, I want a TV that is reliable, and will last longer than a pair of socks.
I can't spend a lot of money. £500-600 is as high as I can go. This one is 48 inch, 4k (not HDR)
Input is either Freesat or Internet streaming of Amazon Prime, Now TV etc. plus Blu-Ray. Occasional use as a computer monitor as well.
Sound is output to a 2.1 soundbar optically.

Last edited:

AndyTake2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Was your Samsung under 5 year warranty? They should provide a replacement.
John Lewis informed me that TV wasn't covered by 5 year warranty (which was provided on original Sharp TV)

Samsung don't provide 5 year warranty.

I now have to wrangle with them about this. Hopefully they will accept the responsibility and we won't have a shouting match (metaphorically speaking)

AndyTake2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Just to update, John Lewis have said that they will replace the TV, and will be contacting me today with an offer - Just a case of figuring out what to accept now, LG don't do All4 etc, others don't do NowTV, which we use, but we'll just have to see.

Reactions: bigboss

jjbomber

It's all hit and miss. My LG TV lasted 2 years and a month before the power supply packed up. My sister's LG is on all day, every day and has lasted 7 years so far. My Mother's Samsung is 12 years old and she won't upgrade! It's not even HD, but super reliable. So who knows? Luck of the draw I think.

AndyTake2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Just been looking around and found that - thanks for the link anyway. It seems that it also does All4 etc, so they are back on the list.
They haven't phoned yet, but they are run off their feet - response time via email is quoted as 7 working days (it took 8!) but got to cut them some slack at the minute.

They said they will match features and value of the original purchase, so it could be we end up with a much better TV. We're hoping to pop over to JL tomorrow to see what the TVs are like, but if not, will have to go to Currys for a browse (don't really like doing that, but needs must when the devil bites your bum)

AndyTake2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Further update - They offered me a Sony , but I opted to pay the difference between that and a new TV, a Samsung QE50Q65T (2020) - the Sony was £599, the Samsung £699. As I have paid extra money, the TV also comes with a complete 5 year warranty as well.

It was lucky that the way the original had been processed, we had also effectively purchased a new TV rather than a simple swap-out, which gave us the 5 year warranty on the currently faulty Samsung. If it had been otherwise, the warranty would not have covered it.

The TV will be swapped tomorrow, so hopefully everything will be OK. I decided not to go for an OLED TV because of the burn-in issues. I know they don't affect all the TVs, but the QLEDs looked pretty impressive...Especially that damn great 75 inch thing they had hanging on the wall (or was it the wall hanging on the TV)

Reactions: nopiano and bigboss
That’s great news! I think JL and Richer Sounds offer 5 or even 6 year warranties on tellies, so it’s well worth get from them, imo. Sounds like a good upgrade for you too!

We bought a budget Panasonic for the kitchen in Argos early this year, and the remote played up almost at once. Panasonic wanted to me to cough up £18 for a replacement until I stood my ground. They duly sent one FOC next day delivery, but it soon had similar symptoms requiring too hard a press on the 0 button.
Meanwhile our 2009 Sony HD is still going fine aside from expired iPlayer etc - solved with a Firestick - and in the lounge a 2012 LG seems bomb-proof.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts