Question Relation between W and ohm provided by an amplifier

JorgeCL

Mar 9, 2022
Visit site
Hi! I'm very new in the hifi world and I'm struggling with something that might be a silly question.

I have a Denon AVR 1801, which offers 70w per chanel at 8 ohm. It can work with speakers between 6 and 16 ohm. My question is, if i buy a pair of speakers that work at 6 ohm, what is the maximum W that they should be able to handle? Does the ampli also provide 70W or would it change?
In other words, if i plug a pair of Infiniti Reference 11 Mk2 (6 ohm; 10-75 W), will I burn them?

Thanks a lot!!

Halving impedance (that's resistance to an alternating current) and an ideal source would double in power delivered. But that takes a lot of welly, so generally isn't achieved at high volume levels.

I wouldn't get too hung up though, unless you listen at high volume levels.

In other words, if i plug a pair of Infiniti Reference 11 Mk2 (6 ohm; 10-75 W), will I burn them?

Simple answer, No!

If you try to play a large room at rock concert volumes then you may damage any speaker, but mostly that occurs when an amplifer distorts. This is very audible.

Older, budget speakers may be a bit frail, however, but treat it all with a bit of care and common-sense and you needn’t worry.

A Denon AVR rated at 70 watts is probably more like 45 watts per channel in Hifi terms. The difference being that AV Amplifiers are rated based on higher distortion measures. But don’t fret, just connect it up and enjoy. Take care with the wiring - no stray strands, and get + and - the right way around.

By the way, welcome to the forum. (I didn’t answer a previous question as I’d never heard the speakers you were comparing, but it looks like you got them now.)

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi! I'm very new in the hifi world and I'm struggling with something that might be a silly question.

I have a Denon AVR 1801, which offers 70w per chanel at 8 ohm. It can work with speakers between 6 and 16 ohm. My question is, if i buy a pair of speakers that work at 6 ohm, what is the maximum W that they should be able to handle? Does the ampli also provide 70W or would it change?

Thanks a lot!!
Amplifiers usually state they are suitable for example, 4 to 16 ohm speakers. You will be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts