Reggae fan needs help with budget speakers I have a list,Roth , BR1 Tannoy,Q Acoustics

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

looking for some advise on budget speakers for my front room

Ill be brief as this is the second time I have had to write this

current amp Marantz PM 7200

room size 3x4 mtrs

speaker on shelf in alcove of room.

music type Reggae, Soul, Classical , varied

want a good bass and detailed sound and can handle some higher volume when the wife is out :) and the mates are around

will be buying online from the jungle book store , as I got voucher for Christmas.

£120ish is the most i want to pay

short list

Roth 2 look good

Roth 3, cheap £117,
Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom
http://whathifi.com/Review/Tannoy-Mercury-F1-Custom/Monitor Audio BR1 bass might be a little lacking

[class="Apple-style-span"]Q Acoustics 2020[/class]

Mission MV4, cant find any reviews on them so its a maybe

I don't really Like Wharfedale even though they get good reviews

any help or advice from owners would be really appreciated.

BTW I do like Tannoy but dont know it the F1 will be any good

Mungo

T

the record spot

Try the Q Acoutics 1030i, currently in Richer Sounds for £120. Floorstanders incidentally, but a nice speaker for the money (were originally around £249 prior to the new 2000 series coming out).

A

Anonymous

thanks for the info, but I only have vouchers for amazon,

thanks anyway

matthewpiano

The Roth Oli 2s are good for the money but I don't think they are for you and your music. I have a pair tucked away and they are very detailed but don't really do it at the bass end. I'd strike them off the list. I haven't heard the Oli 3s.

The Tannoys are excellent little speakers and will give you decent bass for their size. They would be my pick of that bunch, although the MA BR1s are also excellent.

A

Anonymous

Thank you , im leaning towards the BR1, they look really good, and at £99, a bargin

A

Anonymous

yup, discount the Roth's for reggae. not their thing

For me it's either the Q acoustics or the Tannoys. If it was my vouchers then it would be the Tannoys.

A

Anonymous

The Br1 is a fantastic speaker, but in my opinion the Tannoys will do a better job for your music tastes.

A

Anonymous

do the Tannoys sound as good as the BR1, im listening to them on youtube and they sound Blo**y good, and thats on you tube

A

Anonymous

Well i am a Tannoy fan and do have a pair of D300 in the loft waiting for the kids to leave home one day hopefully , it is now decision time, if they are like the tannoys of old like the 605 then that might just do it for me, and they are the same price.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I can't speak for the MA's but the Tannoy's are excellent speakers and are pretty amazing for what they can kick out and provide plenty of detail. I'd also lose the shelf and invest in some proper speaker stands; the difference is literally night and day.

A

Anonymous

Reggaes my main music, id sat either the Tannoys or the Br1s. Ive heard the Br1s they are good but couldnt comment on the Tannoys....

A

Anonymous

can't do stands 3 kids = do not even think about stands,and i have a dog the would eat the stands, Bull Terrier Cross.

so it would have to be Shelf. other wise i would have my D300's up and running.

A

Anonymous

Do the Br1s have a round bass, I know everyone is saying the Tannoys are good, but I have a gut feeling that they want cut it for me.

T

the record spot

mungo21:
thanks for the info, but I only have vouchers for amazon,

thanks anyway

Woops - sorry! Good luck with the search then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts