Question Rega Vs Audiolab Vs Exposure

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rainsoothe

Ideally £1k, less if I can buy SH or ex-dem with a little wiggle room if there's something exceptional.
You gotta try Naim too, imo. The bright/harsh stories are mostly about their older models, or has something to do with badly matched systems or speaker cable. You should at least try a Nait 5si, or look for sh Nait XS2 + Tellurium Q Black 2 speaker cable. The other suggestions are worth considering as well, but you gotta audition Naim :)

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I bought a Rega Elex R today because I was struggling to find anything that I wanted within my budget. I'll be collecting it in a week or so and when I do I'll be borrowing a Naim NAIT XS3 to demo at home. If I like it I'll leave the Rega unopened and return it and swap over.

I need to listen to it on the basis that so many people have said it's a good idea.

I bought a Rega Elex R today because I was struggling to find anything that I wanted within my budget. I'll be collecting it in a week or so and when I do I'll be borrowing a Naim NAIT XS3 to demo at home. If I like it I'll leave the Rega unopened and return it and swap over.

I need to listen to it on the basis that so many people have said it's a good idea.
a good idea for whom. Doesn't do the retailer any favours...

Oxfordian

I am not really bothered about the retailers. So a good idea for me.

Thats a shame.

Without my local retailer I wouldn‘t have the system I have now, playing music I like in the way I like it.

Without my local retailer I wouldn’t have been able to have all the stuff on home demo to test out various bits of kit and see how each piece fitted in.

Without my local retailer I wouldn’t be able to pick up the phone and ring them for advice or *** down and have a look at or listen to new kit just in.

To me my local retailer has been an absolute star, we need to look after our local retailers, without them putting a system together would be much harder.

Thats my 2p’s worth of opinion on the value of retailers.

(*** ? not sure why it doesn’t like pin backwards)

Reactions: insider9
Thats a shame.

Without my local retailer I wouldn‘t have the system I have now, playing music I like in the way I like it.

Without my local retailer I wouldn’t have been able to have all the stuff on home demo to test out various bits of kit and see how each piece fitted in.

Without my local retailer I wouldn’t be able to pick up the phone and ring them for advice or *** down and have a look at or listen to new kit just in.

To me my local retailer has been an absolute star, we need to look after our local retailers, without them putting a system together would be much harder.

Thats my 2p’s worth of opinion on the value of retailers.

(*** ? not sure why it doesn’t like pin backwards)
hear, hear

Reactions: insider9

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Give the virtue signalling a rest. If you'd taken a second to think before jumping on the attack you'd have figured that I have bought (yes, from my local retailer), a Rega Elex. When I collect it I'll be borrowing (yes, from the same retailer with their consent) a Naim Nait XS3. It's my choice.

Either way, the retailer wins.

As for the demise of the industry, I'd venture to suggest that it's in part self-fulfilled, in other parts a combination of economic and political factors, and that consumer choice and competition in a free market have contributed to it far more than 'unscrupulous' posters on here.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Give the virtue signalling a rest. If you'd taken a second to think before jumping on the attack you'd have figured that I have bought (yes, from my local retailer), a Rega Elex. When I collect it I'll be borrowing (yes, from the same retailer with their consent) a Naim Nait XS3. It's my choice.

Either way, the retailer wins.

As for the demise of the industry, I'd venture to suggest that it's in part self-fulfilled, in other parts a combination of economic and political factors, and that consumer choice and competition in a free market have contributed to it far more than 'unscrupulous' posters on here.
Hear hear…it wasn’t that long ago that dealers wouldn’t even consider using a streamer or god forbid using a PC/laptop as a music source. The dinosaurs have had to adapt to survive…….some of them…

If you are getting them both from a dealer, why purchase the Rega and then decide to borrow a Naim? Was it an after thought? The Rega is a tad under a 1k while the latest XS is over 2k. That all needs to be taken into consideration.

I've never been a big fan of Naim, fussy when it comes to speaker matching. I owned a CD5i (Italic 'i' version) a few years back and it was great as an instant impact CDP, but over long listening sessions it was starting to grate with me. Their amps have always been the same IME. You might have a different view, however...

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
If you are getting them both from a dealer, why purchase the Rega and then decide to borrow a Naim? Was it an after thought? The Rega is a tad under a 1k while the latest XS is over 2k. That all needs to be taken into consideration.

I've never been a big fan of Naim, fussy when it comes to speaker matching. I owned a CD5i (Italic 'i' version) a few years back and it was great as an instant impact CDP, but over long listening sessions it was starting to grate with me. Their amps have always been the same IME. You might have a different view, however...

Simply because they suggested I do so.

Oxfordian

Simply because they suggested I do so.

I don’t get it, you state that you’re not bothered about the retailers then you say they suggested it.

If this is the case why not say this earlier in the thread,?

A simple, I have bought the Rega but the dealer has leant me the Naim to audition, if I prefer the Naim I can return the Rega unopened for a full refund.

Or am I missing something?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I don’t get it, you state that you’re not bothered about the retailers then you say they suggested it.

A simple, I have bought the Rega but the dealer has leant me the Naim to audition, if I prefer the Naim I can return the Rega unopened for a full refund.

Er, I think that's exactly what I did say so, yep, you are.

Anyway, I am signing off the thread before it goes OT and descends into something it was never intended to be. Thanks to the folks who contributed meaningfully.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Oxfordian

Er, I think that's exactly what I did say so, yep, you are.

Anyway, I am signing off the thread before it goes OT and descends into something it was never intended to be. Thanks to the folks who contributed meaningfully.

My apologies in not reading what isn’t there, only when challenged do you say that it was the dealer, prior to that the phrase you used was;

”I am not really bothered by the retailers. So a good idea for me.”

We need retailers in every aspects of our lives if our high streets are going to survive, your comment annoyed me simply because it undermines everything that good retailers are trying to do to keep their industry alive.

If my comments weren’t meaningful then I’m sorry but I was responding to a comment that was unwarranted and uncalled for.

Tinman1952

This seems unnecessarily aggressive……

Tinman1952

My apologies in not reading what isn’t there, only when challenged do you say that it was the dealer, prior to that the phrase you used was;

”I am not really bothered by the retailers. So a good idea for me.”

We need retailers in every aspects of our lives if our high streets are going to survive, your comment annoyed me simply because it undermines everything that good retailers are trying to do to keep their industry alive.

If my comments weren’t meaningful then I’m sorry but I was responding to a comment that was unwarranted and uncalled for.
If you become annoyed by others’ opinions then you will not endure in these forums…..🙄

Oxfordian

If you become annoyed by others’ opinions then you will not endure in these forums…..🙄

A forum is exactly that a forum, I will speak my mind as others do, I will be direct as others are, if that offends then I’m sorry but when something needs to be said then I’ll say it. I won’t be rude or make personal comments about someone but I will speak my mind when I feel I have too.

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Am contemplating a change of amp to drive ProAc Response DB3. I use a Node 2i and a Chord Qutest. Contenders are:

Rega Elex R
Audiolab 8300a
Exposure 3010s2

I heard the Rega and Audiolab yesterday and struggled to separate them. Not heard the Exposure.

Any thoughts folks?
Maybe too late to chime in - Audition Denon PMA 1600NE and Yamaha AS-801,701 or RN-803 .

Tinman1952

A forum is exactly that a forum, I will speak my mind as others do, I will be direct as others are, if that offends then I’m sorry but when something needs to be said then I’ll say it. I won’t be rude or make personal comments about someone but I will speak my mind when I feel I have too.
Well you say you are sorry if you offend….but it seems you aren’t 🙄
Saying it’s ’just plain speaking’ is a weak excuse…..IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts