Question Rega Vs Audiolab Vs Exposure

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Am contemplating a change of amp to drive ProAc Response DB3. I use a Node 2i and a Chord Qutest. Contenders are:

Rega Elex R
Audiolab 8300a
Exposure 3010s2

I heard the Rega and Audiolab yesterday and struggled to separate them. Not heard the Exposure.

Any thoughts folks?

D

Deleted member 116933

I have a chord qutest and has a nice class A output. I know its not on the list at the moment but sugden is meant to be a know entirety with proac speakers if within budget.

It will lean into the class A output of the chord and give a really fast pricise presentation.

Just a thought is all.

From your list I suspect the exposure will be the best match. But that’s just my guess

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Musical Fidelity M3si , Naim Nait 5si
I did think about Naim as heard good things about the synergy with ProAc but have always found them edgy and aggressive.

The Rega was excellent I have to say. Just leaning towards Exposure because of their greater power capacity and slightly more relaxed sound.

I did think about Naim as heard good things about the synergy with ProAc but have always found them edgy and aggressive.

The Rega was excellent I have to say. Just leaning towards Exposure because of their greater power capacity and slightly more relaxed sound.

I would suggest that Naim might be a bridge too far with ProAc speakers. Owners tend to match their ProAcs with valve, Class A or smoother A/B amps, such as Arcam or Roksan

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I tend to agree and have always stayed away from Naim for that reason - just not right for me. The ProAcs are very decent and quite revealing. I listened to the Elex R and Audiolab and couldn't separate them to be honest.

As daft as it sounds I'd be happy with either as long as there isn't some technical reason I am missing that makes one better than the other? The (silly) determinant in my head at the moment is which one would be the higher value to re-sell when the inevitable upgrade bug bites.

D

Deleted member 160668

The (silly) determinant in my head at the moment is which one would be the higher value to re-sell when the inevitable upgrade bug bites.
Then don't buy either. If you are already thinking about an upgrade before you've even bought them, save up more money and get what you actually want in the first place.

Add Sugden to your list for a listen.

I would suggest that Naim might be a bridge too far with ProAc speakers. Owners tend to match their ProAcs with valve, Class A or smoother A/B amps

And yet ProAc don't think so. ProAc partly design their loudspeakers with Naim Audio electronics and also at some shows use Naim Audio electronics to help convey the qualities of their loudspeakers.

Btw, and there are quite a lot of ProAc owners who are happily using Naim Audio electronics with their loudspeakers :)

Last edited:
I tend to agree and have always stayed away from Naim for that reason - just not right for me.

The (silly) determinant in my head at the moment is which one would be the higher value to re-sell when the inevitable upgrade bug bites.

Please try ProAc with Naim Audio. Nothing really to loose as this pairing might just do the trick for you.

Btw, based on my experience the irony is Naim is likely to have a higher the re-sell value.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Then don't buy either. If you are already thinking about an upgrade before you've even bought them, save up more money and get what you actually want in the first place.

Add Sugden to your list for a listen.

That's folly - I'll buy what's in my budget and right now that's where it's at so I'll be buying one of them or an alternative at that level once I decide which. If I wait 'til I save up I'll have a pair of speakers looking at me doing nothing for an indeterminate period.

The upgrade may be 2 - 3 years away, IF at all.

I don't know anything about Sugden but have read good things.

And yet ProAc don't think so. ProAc partly design their loudspeakers with Naim Audio electronics and also at some shows use Naim Audio electronics to help convey the qualities of their loudspeakers.

Btw, and there are quite a lot of ProAc owners who are happily using Naim Audio electronics with their loudspeakers :)

Are these the same people who've previously paired a Arcam Alpha 7 with ATC SCM40?

Are these the same people who've previously paired a Arcam Alpha 7 with ATC SCM40?

You've sold me short there pp. You haven't mentioned that some of our clients are happily using Solo Mini's with SCM40's :)

To reiterate ProAc partly design their loudspeakers with Naim Audio electronics and also at some shows use Naim Audio electronics to help convey the qualities of their loudspeakers :)

Reactions: insider9

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
In that case please note the phono stage was an optional extra on the 3010S2 but, out of your three, it is the one I would go for.

Yes I was aware and was hoping to stumble upon a S/H or ex dem one as, new, they are expensive. I agree with you in that it would be my strongest preference.

Am contemplating a change of amp to drive ProAc Response DB3. I use a Node 2i and a Chord Qutest. Contenders are:

Rega Elex R
Audiolab 8300a
Exposure 3010s2

I heard the Rega and Audiolab yesterday and struggled to separate them. Not heard the Exposure.

Any thoughts folks?

Could I recommend one? It's my Leema Pulse which has a great built-in switchable phono stage. Tonally it's the closest I've heard to the midrange Regas (Elex-R and Elicit-R).

I love the sound, very engaging and musical. Ans it comes with a 30-day returns, just in case you think it's pants.

Clickety

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts