Rega TT PSU

matthewpiano

I'm interested in user opinions of the TT PSU, particularly if you've used one with a P3-24 or RP3. I'm considering one but would like to know how much difference is makes to the performance of the turntable before I take the plunge.

All input welcome!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I cant help but there is a signifacant step up from the RP3 to the RP6, the TT PSU being the main reason! I think it is the first thing I would upgrade on an RP3

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I've used the ttpsu on my p3-24 for 2 years, the sound difference was subtle but noticable, particularly with regard to pitch stability eg piano, note decay I think it's referred to as the sound fades into another note. A major plus is not having to faff about lifting the platter to change speed from 33 to 45 rpm. I really like the benefits of the ttpsu.

matthewpiano

My main concern is with pitch stability. The Rega is great in many respects but it isn't always quite as stable pitch-wise as I would expect. Actually my Pro-ject Debut III is better in this respect. I have read other criticisms of this aspect of Rega 'tables and I don't want to keep going down a line that still presents this issue. I'd rather switch to a Pro-ject like the Debut Carbon Esprit if that is the case.

Any further thoughts?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
No expert any more, but you may be better off looking at something at the VPI or Clearaudio level. There's also direct drives, but you'd be looking secondhand there.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I did a bit of comparison work a couple of years back on the PSU with my P5. I found changing to the 'white belt' had a similar affect on the sound, I also had a low level hum issue when the PSU was used, the dealer was helpful, he phoned Rega, re did the earth conection in the PSU, but the hum was not totaly eliminated, The set up in those days was fairly standard, Rega arm, Ortofon M2 Blue, not sure I had changed the sub-platter at that time?

I think the new PSUs may be better on hum? . . . but over all, £20 for a white belt was a better beal. I stear clear of 45rpm recordings, as the faffing about to change speed aint worth it for me, however, if you have lots of 45rpm records, and you think £200 is OK . . . ???

I recon you would do better investing the money in a new after market Sub-platter, a White Belt and a Ceramic bearing? All will have their positive affect on your sound.

Only my humble opinion of course.

CJSF

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
There are quiet a few comments about about speed stability problems with Rega's (and other brands).

Buying a PSU could go some way to improve on this if it is audible but if the platter/sub platter itself is not true then the issue may still remain to some extend.

The other option, if you are very sensitive to that particular issue, is to go with a good quartz or servo controlled direct drive.

regards

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
First, with the newer Regas (from P3-24 on) I've not had any problems with speed/pitch stability. All sounds totally correct.

Second, the P3-24 is a big step up from the older P3s, but the TTPSU takes it to a much higher level.

Third, the NEW TTPSU takes things a much higher level again. So much so in fact that personally I'd rather use a P3-24 with the new PSU than an RP3 with the old one.

The RP6, as Steve implies, has the best of all worlds, and frankly is worth the extra to avoid all the faff! :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts