Rega Saturn R

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I finally got round to listening to it today, spent a few hours in Cymbiosis this afternoon - great friendly no-pressure guys.

Media was a mixture of CDs & FLAC streamed via optical from a Mac Book PRO

First impressions, the Saturn R is very detailed, musical sounding as you would expect from Rega this is on both CDs & FLAC, if I am honest I think the CDs slightly edged it.

As a comparison we then had the Apollo R/Rega DAC on and what surprised me most at how close it is to the Saturn R - If CD/FLAC is your main source then the Saturn R would edge it for me. However in my case my Vinyl front end is my main source - so IMO the Saturn R would be a waste of money as I would get better gains on my vinyl front end as I use this 80% of the time.

My main reason for the visit today was to see if the Apollo R/Rega DAC combo was better than my DAC/Mac Book PRO........ no it wasnt so at least I know that I can just get good results using my MBP and then perhaps in the future buy another Mac Mini just for music.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CarlDW said:
Not even a little bit tempted then?! I would love to hear one with the Elicit-R and some RS5's...

Yes was very tempted!

It looks stunning, and yes it would look good sitting on the shelf below my Elicit R - but £1598 for a little bit of gain on a format I only use 20% of the time then it would be a waste.

Would rather spend the cash on a Phono Stage / Gyrodec / Low Output MC cart.

Even Wayne at Cymbiosis agreed with me - money better spent on my vinyl front end.

BTW I had a quick listen to an RP8 / Apheta / Aria - I don't care what people say about the Rega low mass plinth philosophy - my god it sounded good, but the again so does a Gyrodec with SMEIV at twice the price.

Food for thought eh?

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Its a fair point. I mainly listen to CD so I would jump at the Saturn R. Now lets see if I can find £4k down the back of the sofa for the Saturn, Elicit and RS5...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CarlDW said:
Its a fair point. I mainly listen to CD so I would jump at the Saturn R. Now lets see if I can find £4k down the back of the sofa for the Saturn, Elicit and RS5...

If that was the case for me then I wouldn't hesitate! The thing is built like a tank - feels very substantail when you use it.

I love the looks

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Ive always thought Rega kit looks great, never a bland box and the top loading CD players add a sense of occasion! Ive heard the original Apollo and the Apollo R and both sounded great, I think their presentation suits my tastes. My dream system would be an all Rega set up.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My dream system would be an all Rega set up.

Love my Rega set up, I am open to a Gyrodec though even after hearing the RP8

I think the reason is because it really goes well together - it just gets on with the job in hand - playing music!

Even the Brio R / Apollo R would be a cracking CD based system

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I was at the Manchester hifi show a couple of years back, and the best set up I heard that day was an Apollo R, Dac, Brio R and RS3.

I thought it sounded more musical than a Naim/PMC set up and some Kef Blades...

The Neat Iotas also sounded fantastic that day.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yep i preferred the Elicit R over the Nait XS2, found the XS2 a bit thick on bass - the Elciit R is very revealing so will show up a poor source.

Rega speakers are way under rated too IMO

I personally think the Apollo-R, visually, is really hard to love. At least the Saturn-R have returned to a more quirky look associated with the original Apollo and Saturn.

Yes, £1600 is a lot of money...

Go and but the original Saturn, which the dealer likened it to your combo.

CarlDW said:

Hi CarkDW

Well if it's anything like an Saturn-R CD-DAC/Elicit-R/RS1 combination then the Saturn-R CD-DAC/Elicit-R/RS5 should also be an excellent system :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I personally think the Apollo-R, visually, is really hard to love. At least the Saturn-R have returned to a more quirky look associated with the original Apollo and Saturn.

Yes, £1600 is a lot of money...

Go and but the original Saturn, which the dealer likened it to your combo.

PP as you know, I have no desire now to buy another CDP. I have sourced another used Mac Mini so jhob done!

However improving my vinyl front end is very much on the agenda..... Gyro / Project / RP8 etc etc

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
CarlDW said:

Hi CarkDW

Well if it's anything like an Saturn-R CD-DAC/Elicit-R/RS1 combination then the Saturn-R CD-DAC/Elicit-R/RS5 should also be an excellent system :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

You standard reply as per usual Rick :)

D

Deleted member 201267

Rega Saturn mk3 takes a 3amp rated fuse in the rear fuse carrier.

Got synergy purple up mine...

Very very good indeed😁👍

How does this Synergy Purple fuse improve on the fuse supplied in the amp ?

Mattyboy

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
Er.. No spam here

Just thought poeple would find this information of use..tizz all 😉👍

When I searched the internet for the answer to this question I couldn't find anything..so I posted the info on the closest match found..which was here..is that ok with you buster 😃?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts