Rega Saturn R issues

Drummer Clive

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Recently sent back a Rega Saturn R.
Fine for first two days. Then it started mistracking/skipping/jumping on several cds. No problems before. Final straw was when it stopped altogether on one cd.

Equipment is sited on left side of listening room and it sat on an Audiophile Base platform.
Have the Rega gremlins struck yet again? !!

Reactions: Belerofon
Fine for first two days. Then it started mistracking/skipping/jumping on several cds. No problems before. Final straw was when it stopped altogether on one cd.

Equipment is sited on left side of listening room and it sat on an Audiophile Base platform.
Welcome to the forum,
Could it be the lens just needs cleaning? Did you try to clean it?

matthewpiano

I've never had problems with Rega CD players. Unless there is physical damage to the discs you are having issues with, I would go back to your Rega dealer. It's probably just a bad one that's slipped through - it happens with any company.

Drummer Clive

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
I see, perhaps a slot-loader might be more suitable, but I guess you have worked that out already.
I've now got a Roksan Blak. Wonderful sound. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Saturn too until the problems! The Rega has a drier more forward presentation, whereas the Roksan has more top end sparkle. I could live with both.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site

I have same issue, rega does that with burned cd-r. I sended to service repair and they change pickup laser, now i have player back and no change. Same issue over and over.

Gray

Yes, with another CD player work flawlessly
....as we would expect.
When I first burned CDRs, 22 years ago, I expected (and had) playback problems on different decks.
I wouldn't be happy with such problems with CDRs on current decks.
You're right to complain.
(As has been said, RW discs are a different story - though one of the reasons I bought my Marantz CD6000 was for it's RW playback capability, back in 2002).

Reactions: Belerofon

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
....as we would expect.
When I first burned CDRs, 22 years ago, I expected (and had) playback problems on different decks.
I wouldn't be happy with such problems with CDRs on current decks.
You're right to complain.
(As has been said, RW discs are a different story - though one of the reasons I bought my Marantz CD6000 was for it's RW playback capability, back in 2002).
exactly, CD-R is basic at least should be. Yes some high end players even not supported CD-R but... come on, no CD-R playback on deck for 5000 bucks that is embarrassment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
My issues were with ordinary cds. The Saturn was new. Of course when returned to retailer it behaved impeccably!
That's a bummer, after the service man received the player and test it, he called me and says "everything is fine, player has no issues" then i instructed him where on cd ( i sent my burned cd) problems occur. After that he admit faulty pick up laser.
How different is roksan caspian m2 to Rega saturn? I'm starting looking for another player.

Drummer Clive

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
That's a bummer, after the service man received the player and test it, he called me and says "everything is fine, player has no issues" then i instructed him where on cd ( i sent my burned cd) problems occur. After that he admit faulty pick up laser.
How different is roksan caspian m2 to Rega saturn? I'm starting looking for another player.
Actually I've now got a Roksan Blak cd player. Touch wood there have been no issues with any cds. It has more sparkle at top end and is a joy. The Saturn is slightly rolled off in the treble and more analogue sounding. As I mentioned earlier, I could live with both. What I couldn't live with is its unpredictable characteristics! Its very fussy when "initializing " cds.

Belerofon

Aug 9, 2020
Visit site
Actually I've now got a Roksan Blak cd player. Touch wood there have been no issues with any cds. It has more sparkle at top end and is a joy. The Saturn is slightly rolled off in the treble and more analogue sounding. As I mentioned earlier, I could live with both. What I couldn't live with is its unpredictable characteristics! Its very fussy when "initializing " cds.
Before pickup laser repair it was like you said, initializing cd was slowly, now is fast as I'm used to from another players.
When I auditioned players like Marantz, primare, audiolab, denon etc. Rega was winner in "analog sound". It's hard to beat in this price range. Roksan was on my list too, but no one have him on demo. I'm curious about c.e.c. CD player,their belt drive units are legendary.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts