Rega RS 1 v Dynaudio DM2/6

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Trying to decide between these speakers for a small 4m x 3m room for all musical genres. For use with Roksan Kandy Amp /Caspian Tuner and Rega Planar 2. Not an easy choice both speakers highly regarded here with many supporters and a similar price point. Planning to audition soon.
Which of these speakers do you favour and why? If you have heard a direct comparison which did you prefer?
Best wishes
Paul

paulsue38 said:
Trying to decide between these speakers for a small 4m x 3m room for all musical genres. For use with Roksan Kandy Amp /Caspian Tuner and Rega Planar 2. Not an easy choice both speakers highly regarded here with many supporters and a similar price point. Planning to audition soon. Which of these speakers do you favour and why? If you have heard a direct comparison which did you prefer? Best wishes Paul

Hi Paul

I would appreciate it if you could help with the following please -

What speakers do you currently use?

The cartridge is?

How would you describe the performance of your existing speakers and the systen as a whole?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Your listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Will you stand, shelf or wall mount the speakers?

Room positioning of speakers (in relation to walls, corners, will there be anything in between or either side of the speaker such as a cabinet, chimney breast etc.)?

Distance between the speakers is likely to be?

The interconnect speaker cables you'll be using are?

What areas of improvement are you looking for from a new pair of speakers and the kind of presentation for the system as a whole to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
This is a relocation from a larger room with floor standers. I have not owned standmounters for some time so would like advice about the two speakers I have short listed.
Regards
Paul

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Paul

Since you've listed two excellent speakers, I think that it is essential to bring them home to demo. The speakers' interaction with your room and your kit, will be key in deciding which works best (eg. The Dynaudios need a bit of space round them).

Cno

A

Anonymous

usually dynaudios need space Cno, but the dm range, (well the 2/6 and 2/7s) don't, i've got one of mine literally 10cm from a rear wall right now (due to re-organising around a 28in tv :O ) without any issues..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
But as Cno has said, the interaction of the speaker and room is an important factor - you can take two similar rooms, and a speaker might work close to a wall in one room, but not in the other. The type of wall will play a big role in this - solid brick walls reinforce and reflect bass energy back into a room, whereas partition walls absorb.

To the OP, in that size room, I'd be inclined to recommend the Rega speakers.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
But as Cno has said, the interaction of the speaker and room is an important factor - you can take two similar rooms, and a speaker might work close to a wall in one room, but not in the other. The type of wall will play a big role in this - solid brick walls reinforce and reflect bass energy back into a room, whereas partition walls absorb. To the OP, in that size room, I'd be inclined to recommend the Rega speakers.
i have no idea which speaker would be best for the op, all i know is that the dm 2/6s will be fine placed close to a wall, partition or brick...

oh, and they're fantastic speakers..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
Thanks David. Can you clarify why you think the Rega would be the better choice in a smaller room? Best wishes Paul

I find Dynaudios to be a little strong in the bass sometimes, and this is usually exaggerated by a nearby wall. Their bass can be a bonus for certain music genres, but I find the more even handed, more responsive sound of the Regas to be preferable. They'll provide more insight into the music. As an example, play something like a string quartet or solo piano through both speakers, and the differences will be quite marked.

As always though, demo to see which you prefer, and which speakers you feel work your amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts