Rega RP6 — wow!

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So I went down to Harrow Audio (which was a harrowing experience as the Met line was closed on Saturday) and picked up one of the B-Grade RP6s.

I listened to it in the shop with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, which is the same one I had just purchased after bending the stylus in the week.

A bit of Grace Jones (I didn't have my own vinyl on me) proved that it had a lovely lively sound unlike the rather dead sound I experienced on the RP3 with Elys2.

So I lugged it home (arms still aching) and have been listening to it ever since.

I cannot believe that it's the same cartridge as the one from my Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 Genie. So much detail, so much less "vinyl" sound — it's almost CD player like in some respects — but with all the lush sounds that vinyl gives.

I am proceeding to listen to all my favourite albums all over again.

Now the question is, I am happy with this modest cartridge — what would a more exotic one do for me… think I'll just enjoy this for now.

One thing that is a little more odd — it's very sensitive to me jumping on the floor — or rather walking heavy footed past it. I've set up the cartridge to 1.8g and all the anti-skate is on.

James

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Nice one!

Watch out as theres been too much Rega love going on recently leading to some forumites starting there own threads about Rega without even owning a Rega deck!

Anyway you hit the nail on the head.......its all about enjoying the music and the RP6 does it for me too!

BTW just goes to show the cart is only a small part of the bigger picture, the RP6 has a decent arm and TT PSU

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Personally I would go for the Groovetracer Sub Platter - suddenly the noise floor dissapears, dunno how it works but it does!

I am borrowing a Dynavector 10x5, Floyd Droid has kindly offered to lend me his to have a listen - will report back soon as I have it but am expecting an uplift!

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
Nice one!

Watch out as theres been too much Rega love going on recently leading to some forumites starting there own threads about Rega without even owning a Rega deck!

No idea who that could be. :wave:

PP, has your Leema cooled down!

It's fine - cooked a barbie on it this evening. :dance:

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Annnnyyyyywwwwaaayyyy — the Groovetracer platter seems good — but the noise floor is so low anyway.

The cartridge would be the first upgrade.

Need to visit a dealer to hear an Exact as a benchmark.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
Annnnyyyyywwwwaaayyyy — the Groovetracer platter seems good — but the noise floor is so low anyway.

The cartridge would be the first upgrade.

Need to visit a dealer to hear an Exact as a benchmark.

Where are you JC?

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
One thing that is a little more odd — it's very sensitive to me jumping on the floor — or rather walking heavy footed past it. I've set up the cartridge to 1.8g and all the anti-skate is on.

James

Solid decks will always be prone to this, particularly when you have floorboards that give a little as opposed to a solid floor. A proper dedicated wall shelf for it is your best bet, failing that there are plenty of isolation platforms around (or you can diy your own) to put under the deck. What is it on at the moment?

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
Solid decks will always be prone to this, particularly when you have floorboards that give a little as opposed to a solid floor. A proper dedicated wall shelf for it is your best bet, failing that there are plenty of isolation platforms around (or you can diy your own) to put under the deck. What is it on at the moment?

It didn't affect my ProJect RPM 1.3 Genie as much though — at least not that I remember.

It's sitting on this — http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamescarruthers/9287779004/ — which I have just this evening added some sorbothane under the feet — this seems to have worked quite well as it doesn't skip anywhere near as much.

TRENDING THREADS