Rega Rp3 upgrade from Project

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The RP3 is an excellent deck, and capable of accommodating a better quality cartridge than the Debut too, so there's more scope for getting more out of the RP3 than the old Debut. The quality of a deck is all down to close tolerance engineering, particularly the arm, and this is an area that Rega have excelled in over the decades.

swoosta said:
I have a Pro-ject debut (first model) and thinking about upgrading to Rega RP3. Would I notice much difference/improvement?

It will be a big improvement, and it is the right thing to be upgrading too. I'm sure your Rega dealer will happily demo the RP3 against your Pro-Ject, and offer you something in part-exchange, unless you are happy to pass it on or sell it yourself. Don't be tempted to use your current cartridge, as that is best left in the Pro-ject.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The RP3 is an excellent deck, and capable of accommodating a better quality cartridge than the Debut too, so there's more scope for getting more out of the RP3 than the old Debut. The quality of a deck is all down to close tolerance engineering, particularly the arm, and this is an area that Rega have excelled in over the decades.

Dave. How does the rega rp3 compare to say a michell gyro at twice the price ,pound for pound.?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

Dave. How does the rega rp3 compare to say a michell gyro at twice the price ,pound for pound.?

And the rest!

David's company sells the Gyrodec for£1349 and that's before an arm is fitted.

Realistically the Gyrodec is three times the price of an RP3 even with a budget arm.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

Sorry FATS, didn't see this post - been a busy few weeks!

You can get a Gryo SE for about £1200 with arm, but cartridge is extra, so a tad over half price I suppose.

Difference? Another league. The chassis of the Gyro is far heftier and more isolated than the RP3, plus there's the possibility of upgrading the arm too. I still think the Gyro is one of the best players out there, and teamed with an SME arm produces stunning results.

And then there's the colour options and looks too... >)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts