Rega rp1 performance OR pro-ject debut carbon/3se

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Any one own either of these, and which would be a best first turnable for me, I'll be running it into the phono in the yamaha as500 for now, speakers are MA bx2's on soundstyle z2 stands,

im new to turntables, I'm 'only' 24, so for my generation it's a bit of a mystery, however growing up with a dad obsessed with music, I'm a keen music and hi fi lover!

I really want to get into vinyl, borrow some of me dads old vinyls, as well as start to make my own collection!

Which TT will be best out of the two/three I've put in title? I'm thinking rega rp1 with the performance pack? I can't demo any, so please feel free to share experience and advice...

thanks in advance,

jake

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Jake12988 said:
Any one own either of these, and which would be a best first turnable for me, I'll be running it into the phono in the yamaha as500 for now, speakers are MA bx2's on soundstyle z2 stands,

im new to turntables, I'm 'only' 24, so for my generation it's a bit of a mystery, however growing up with a dad obsessed with music, I'm a keen music and hi fi lover!

I really want to get into vinyl, borrow some of me dads old vinyls, as well as start to make my own collection!

Which TT will be best out of the two/three I've put in title? I'm thinking rega rp1 with the performance pack? I can't demo any, so please feel free to share experience and advice...

thanks in advance,

jake

RP1 with performance pack is a great TT, it got me into vinyl, I got addicted in a big way and now onto an RP6!

However vinyl is not for everyone - It takes a lot of commitment ie cleaning records, records in anti static sleeves, stylus care but I think it is very rewarding just to sit down, relax and enjoy the sound of it.

If you dont like it (doubtful) you can always sell the RP1 on for not much loss - I am sure you wont!

Also the RP1 will come more or less set up straight out of the box

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for info, yeah I was leaning towards rp1... What will I need in terms of 'maintenance' with regards to the TT itself, as well as records? Cleaning tools etc?

id like to make it a hobby, so I'm willing to make the effort!

what's the main difference in sound compared to cd? And is the yamaha as500 phono ok for rega rp1 for now?

sorry for so many questions!!!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
This is what were here for!

Quck brush with a carbon fibre record brush, if you google record cleaning plenty of info on the web.

Maybe a stylus brush only about £8 from Analogue Seduction

To protet your vinyl use anit static sleeves

A well set up TT will outdo the CD equivleant in my opinion - one of the biggest pluses is there is no compression like todays CDS

Im sure some more forumites will be along soon to give there input!

Has your amp got a phono stage?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
One of the best things about Vinyl is searching for hours in used record shops then rushing home excitedly and playing your records! Sometimes you get a few duff one, but for the majority I have always been lucky!

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the yamaha has built in phono, apparantly it's quite ok, but I'll no doubt upgrade to a dedicated phono amp in the future,

yeah cant wait to sit and listen through some vinyl, I love the idea of shopping for them and then getting home to relax and listen! No idea where I'd go to buy vinyls, but you guys must know... I live in colchester, (no I'm not an essex boy!)

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
in away I I would like to join you guys I aways used to love record shopping before cd came along i guess I dont miss having to keep everything clean and being carefull when listening when ive had a few

frank.custers

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the RP1 and love it! I did not compare it with the Pro-ject so I can't tell you if there is a difference. I decided not to take the Performance Pack as I heart to many bad stories on Rega cartridges. I did get me a Denon DL110, which I purchased on a visit to the US, they are so much cheaper there than in Holland where I live (USD 139 to EUR 249). I'm still a cheap Dutchmen. I also bought a Achromat turntable mat. All I will need is a white belt in the near future. Oh, and I have a Rega Fono Mini preamp, which sounds very good. Buit also here, no comparison to any other amp.

So not much help from me, except that I'm real happy with my current TT setup!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts