Debut III with upgrades or Debut Carbon

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

Looking into upgrading my audio system. Will be used for movies and music in a 2.0 or maybe 2.1 configuration. Still need to decide between Q Acoustics Concept 20's or MA BX2's. I'll be re-using my Denon AV receiver (AVR-X1000) while the TT will go through a Cambridge 551. Anyway I've got some questions about turntables

- Project Debut III sells relatively cheap here: 259 euro. If I add the acryl platter and Speed Box, it's slightly more expensive than a Debut Carbon 2M. So I suppose the Debut III is only interesting when not doing the upgrades ?

- The Carbon DC isn't compatible with the SpeedBox. But would it benefit from one since the DC motor probably runs a lot smoother than the 16V motor in the III ? By the way, does the DC still have the hum issues or has that been solven in factory ?

- What's the added benefit of the Esprit DC SB ? It has an integrated SpeedBox which is compatible with European voltages.

What would you recommend in combination with the speakers and amp ? I'm not on a tight budget, but I do like to have a balanced system. Rega P1 or Music Hall 2.2 also is a possibility in the same price range.

Thx !!!

iMark

As far as I know the Debut III is an older model without the carbon tonearm. EUR 259 seems a very reasonable price for it.

The current Debuts are the following (prices in EUR):

- Debut Carbon with Ortofon OM 10: 349

- Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2M Red: 399

- Debut Carbon Phono USB with Ortofon OM 10: 449

- Debut Carbon Esprit with Ortofon 2M Red: 449

- Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon 2M Red: 499

It's a bit confusing that the Speed Box S is not compatible with the Debut Carbon line sold outside the US. So if you want to benifit from speed box control your only option is the Debut Carbon Esprit SB, which has a built-in Speed Box.

I can only tell you that from my personal experience the built-in Speed Box in our Pro-Ject is very useful, if only for the fact that speed changing is very easy. Our 1Xpression III Comfort is no longer in production and I bought it as step up from the Debut III and it worked out that our model (which we bought for hopefully decades of listening pleasure) had a better tone arm, an acrylic platter, adjustable cones and a speed box seemed a good investment. The Esprit SB seems quite similar to our TT and if it sounds as good, I can really recommend it.

Obviously the extras don't come for nothing but I don't think many people will buy a turntable every other year. It should last you years. But if you just want to get started with vinyl, maybe the Debut III for 259 isn't a bad choice at all. All I can say is that 8.6cc Carbon tonearm is a really nice extra and so are the acrylic platter and the speedbox.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts