Rega rp1 performance ground issues

Brusy

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Just upgraded my rp1 with performance pack, seem to have ground issues on the TT.

has anyone experienced the same issues, sound is very bass orientated and the TT becomes live(I can tap the TT and it transmits through the deck).

Brusy said:
Just upgraded my rp1 with performance pack, seem to have ground issues on the TT.

has anyone experienced the same issues, sound is very bass orientated and the TT becomes live(I can tap the TT and it transmits through the deck).

Welcome to the forum.

So, not exactly an upgrade eh? What exactly did you change with this 'performance pack' ? Did your turntable do this before the change?

As far as I am aware the pack includes a cartridge, a belt, and a turntable mat. None of these are going to induce ground issues unless you have not installed the cartridge correctly.

Brusy

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Cartridge changed(moving magnet), belt & TT mat. Cartridge lined up with template provided, imagery is better but bottom end sounds woolly and concerned that when the base (turntable) is tapped it resonates through the speakers only when vinyl is playing.

Brusy said:
Cartridge changed(moving magnet), belt & TT mat. Cartridge lined up with template provided, imagery is better but bottom end sounds woolly and concerned that when the base (turntable) is tapped it resonates through the speakers only when vinyl is playing.

Which cartridge did you change from? Just curious as this would not effect the resonating plinth. Nor would the turntable mat.

Brusy

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Original cartridge was Rega Carbon, I will try grounding the arm via the one of the phono plugs next, if this works, I will get back to Rega to request a new arm as I have read some arms are not quality controlled properly, as they run the ground through the tone arm.

Brusy said:
Original cartridge was Rega Carbon, I will try grounding the arm via the one of the phono plugs next, if this works, I will get back to Rega to request a new arm as I have read some arms are not quality controlled properly, as they run the ground through the tone arm.

Most do this. It's not the arm that's at fault here otherwise your previous cartridge would have done the same. The problem is they have convinced certain people that this performance pack is an upgrade. The cartridge certainly vis.

Have you just come on this forum to slag of Rega in general?

Brusy

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Not at all, very pleased with Rega, maybe just a bit miffed as it was meant to be an upgrade and although sensual perception is good, e.g. Stereo imagery is good and top end is good, just need to tighten up the bass.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You should take this up with the shop you bought the performance pack from (and - presumably - the RP1 too).

I guess both are still under guarantee (or at least the performance pack).

Put the carbon cart back on, see if problem persists. The belt and mat won't effect the grounding.

Also, check all connections, reconnect everything and turn all other equipment off.

just have tt and amp on.

Despite your own opinion on the carts performance, upgrades are also known as differences. So, you may not like the different sound, but once you have dialled in to it, you may begin to prefer it.

If not, you have learned a good lesson.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Forgive me if I appear slow, as I'm unsure what you mean by "the TT becomes live" but, when the stylus is in contact with an LP, if you tap the TT base, wouldn't the induced vibration be transmitted through the disc and picked up by the stylus, but not when the stylus is not in contact with the record?

It happens this way with my RP3, so presumably the fault lies elsewhere? If vibrations are picked up/transmitted to the amp. when the tonearm is at rest, or raised from the armrest and platter, then you do have a problem, and as you've only changed the cartridge, was any stress placed on the cartridge wiring?

Have you tried swapping cartridges back to the original, to see what happens? Also, the new cartridge will need some running in, which may change it's sound.

Brusy

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to all that have followed and have give good advise, contacted shop where both purchases were made and they have agreed to carry out some tests themselves, also I ground the phono plugs and hum went away and bass is tight now. One more thing, having listened to a few albums now, ears have tuned into new sound from the cartridge and is a lot better than the carbon unit.

thanks guys.
regular_smile.gif

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Very pleased to hear that you've sorted things out, Brusy, and are enjoying your music even more than before. It's amazing just how much detail there is in those grooves, just waiting to be let out.

Trouble is, Upgradeitis will now mean you'll be wondering how much of an improvement will other cartridges be? I had exactly the same when I upgraded my cartridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts