Rega RB330 Tonearm on Rega P2 2000

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I recently purchased a new - old stock Rega P2 2000 at a great price. Not too long after purchase, my upgradeitis kicked in and now the only stock components remaining are the bearing and the plinth.

I was going to buy an origin live onyx tonearm with upgraded wiring but figured out that it was just too much for me to spend at the moment - but found a Rega RB330 tonearm in new condition on eBay at a bargain price. So bought it.

My question is concerning VTA. So at the moment my RB251 tonearm has a 3mm shim underneath the 3 point mount, as I’m using an acrylic platter that is 3mm thicker than the OEM platter and mat.

Will I need to modify the shim thickness when fitting the RB330 tonearm? In other words is the RB251 height the same as RB330? Height being the distance between the base of the tonearm (that sits on the plinth) and the bottom of the tonearm head (where the cartridge sits).

Also, I have an Audio-Technica AT-VM95E cartridge. In the future I’d like to upgrade this, what gives a significant upgrade in sound quality for not too much more money - maybe £150ish.

I’m disinclined to do your homework, but you should find your answer on vinylengine website, unless you can contact Rega. That’s easier said than done, last time I looked.

I’ve a hunch the basic geometry is identical, but it may depend on the mounting - I.e. are you swapping from three-point to single hole, if that’s what’s happening here.

Somebody else may have this at their fingertips.

Re the VM95, then a ML stylus or above would be the most effective upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
I believe they both have the three point mount and the arm height should be identical.
Actually measuring both might be the might be a more accurate method and it's always handy to have a few spare shims of differing thicknesses.

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I did search everywhere that I could think of, but just couldn’t find an answer.
I figured that it’s likely they are identical height wise, but just wanted confirmation if anyone knew.
The RB330 used on the Planar 3 appears to sit on top of the upper turntable brace, and I couldn’t even find the thickness of that brace - the lower brace was readily available though.

I did think that I could measure the height from plinth to tonearm head for the RB251 (which is indeed 3 point fit) whilst it’s attached to the turntable. Then when the RB330 comes, fit that to the turntable and repeat. The problem will be how accurate I am at making the measurements 🤣

Thanks for the replies, I did search everywhere that I could think of, but just couldn’t find an answer.
I figured that it’s likely they are identical height wise, but just wanted confirmation if anyone knew.
The RB330 used on the Planar 3 appears to sit on top of the upper turntable brace, and I couldn’t even find the thickness of that brace - the lower brace was readily available though.

I did think that I could measure the height from plinth to tonearm head for the RB251 (which is indeed 3 point fit) whilst it’s attached to the turntable. Then when the RB330 comes, fit that to the turntable and repeat. The problem will be how accurate I am at making the measurements 🤣
Another issue maybe the use of a non-Rega cartridge and whether that needed additional shims in the first place......

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
When I looked into it, the vm95 cartridge that is, all the posts I saw suggested that it’s just a straight swap basically. So I’d be surprised if that was a problem - but i will double check to make sure that I’ve not made a mistake. Thanks

Gray

When I looked into it, the vm95 cartridge that is, all the posts I saw suggested that it’s just a straight swap basically. So I’d be surprised if that was a problem - but i will double check to make sure that I’ve not made a mistake. Thanks
You haven't made a mistake - it is a straight swap.
If you haven't already seen it, this may be of interest to you:

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Wow interesting. Well I had a read around and actually bought the VM540ML cartridge to pair with the RB330, as I imagine it’s more suitable and a step above the VM95E, and gets good reviews too. I’ll then sell the RB251 with the VM95E cartridge - only used twice so pretty much new. And I’ve got a turntable setup that’s as upgraded as I intend to take it and should sound really nice!

TRENDING THREADS