rega power supply

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
i have the new p3 turntable fitted with ortofon blue cartridge fed into rega mm mk2 phono amp into pioneer a50 amp into monitor .audio silver 6 speakers,all with good quality inter connects.is there any benefit buying the rega power supply unit £198.cant really see benefit apart from electronic speed change dont play 45s.any body got this power unit and what if any benefits from it.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Rega will earn 198£. It's a great benefit for the british industry.

In fact, there is no modifications in any aspects of the performance in the turntable with the power device. The unit was tested by Stereoplay germany, no mesure was different, some details freaks will answer back that it adds perturbation in the regularity of the motor, but it's under every audible level. The only great thing is that you can change the speed directly on that. So it adds confort, but it's an expensive price for a speed switcher.

stevebrock said:
IMO the TT PSU makes a difference to the sound quality

Cannot say I have actually experienced one but logically you assume someone selling a turntable sells it with a competent power supply. I would normally disagree with NSA because he tends to be a re-interant wind up merchant, but here he may have a point, but on cost only. This money spent on a better cartridge would be a better spend.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I have a Rega power supply, its called electricity, joking asside, with electronic components today being as cheap as chips and computer designs and very cheap production costs, especially from the far East I don't see why a power supply could not be incorperated into the deck, but as we all know, after market products are big business and add to a companies profits. I think I would rather spend the money on a cartridge up grade

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
A long time ago, when I started the upgrade/modifie trail on my P5, the MkI PSU was an early purchase. I did nothing for the TT, in fact it added a background hum through the speakers that the dealer nor Rega could fully eliminate, money back, no explination offered.. My much 'self designed' modified P5 performs superbly well without the PSU.

Go as sugested, via the decent cartridge route, when I say decent cartridge you are looking at a minimum of £500 IMHO . . . Then set it up properly, VTA shims and all, purpose designed digital scales and a lot of time evaluating the presentation. Alternativly enjoy what you have?

There is a third option in an aftermarket sub platter and a white belt, good value upgrade at around £200-£300?

Have you tried 'just a white belt', around £20.00, its worth it. In fact thats what I did those years back, the dealers sugested a white belt instead of the failed PSU.

CJSF

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
A long time ago, when I started the upgrade/modifie trail on my P5, the MkI PSU was an early purchase. I did nothing for the TT, in fact it added a background hum through the speakers that the dealer nor Rega could fully eliminate, money back, no explination offered.. My much 'self designed' modified P5 performs superbly well without the PSU.

Go as sugested, via the decent cartridge route, when I say decent cartridge you are looking at a minimum of £500 IMHO . . . Then set it up properly, VTA shims and all, purpose designed digital scales and a lot of time evaluating the presentation. Alternativly enjoy what you have?

There is a third option in an aftermarket sub platter and a white belt, good value upgrade at around £200-£300?

Have you tried 'just a white belt', around £20.00, its worth it. In fact thats what I did those years back, the dealers sugested a white belt instead of the failed PSU.

CJSF

Just seen a test on 4 belts for a Rega TT, the white belt was the worst, speed was irratic and was the most out on average speed being fast, even the original black belt was better, the best was an Edwards Audio Little Belter, exact speed, costs about £15.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree with BigH, I also tried a few belts but I settled on the Edwards Audio Little Green Belter £15, it just does what it says on the tin period. I fitted an ally pulley and motor mount mod first to my Rega Planar 3. I would be hard pushed to make it sound much better. I still maintain that once you have the platter turning at the right speed with minimum speed variation, your best move is a cartridge up grade. I must admit, I'm impressed with some of the Edwards decks and their (brave) move away on some componants to the basic Rega design, it seems to have paid off according to the reviews. I guess you can throw lots of money at up grades for the Rega decks but there has to be a point where cost over performance does not make sense and its time to call it a day.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mmm, perhaps things have changed in 4 years, there was no doubt back then the white belt out performed the standard black belt.

Equaly it had to be said I changed to the Edwads Blue belt a long tim ago, I found it copped better with the 3.5kg composite platter I use on my P. Thinking the poster would not be using a mass platter, the advise was for simplicity in obtaining the white belt, diging out an Edwards dealer is not so easy, so 'jordanfx' Google a dealer and save yourself a fiver, sorry for bum info*pardon*

Chris Munden mentions a 'Green Edwards belt' . . . ? Have they just changed the colour or is there an improvement to be had, I'll have to get one and try it. Falling behind the times????

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have just had a Google and foud the supplier of my Edwards Blue belt, they do not mentiom a green colour, but they do list a number of Rega uprgades including a sub platter at a very resonable of £75.00. I have no idea as to the quality of the listed upgrades but they have been around for a while now.

DECO Audio: http://decoaudio.com/deco_audio_rega_turntable_upgrades.html

Enjoy, CJSF

DizzyPenguin

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
CJSF said:
they do list a number of Rega uprgades including a sub platter at a very resonable of £75.00.

I'd love to hear of anyone's view and/or experience with these upgrades, namely the blue belt, the acrylic platter and the aluminium subplatter for a RP1. I'm also toying with the idea of upgrading the Carbon cart on my RP1 to a AT440MLB or a Nagaoka of some description.

Or should I just move on to the new P2 or P3 + decent cart?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DizzyPenguin said:
CJSF said:
they do list a number of Rega uprgades including a sub platter at a very resonable of £75.00.

I'd love to hear of anyone's view and/or experience with these upgrades, namely the blue belt, the acrylic platter and the aluminium subplatter for a RP1. I'm also toying with the idea of upgrading the Carbon cart on my RP1 to a AT440MLB or a Nagaoka of some description.

Or should I just move on to the new P2 or P3 + decent cart?

I would move on from the RP1 to a P3 or P6 then do a few upgrades and buy a decent cartridge.

DizzyPenguin

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Damn! When I bought my modest little hi-fi system, the first thing the wife said was "It's not gonna be another one of those things like computers where you'll be upgrading stuff all the time I hope" and I cowardly said "Nah".

Now I'm itching already! *wacko*

DizzyPenguin said:
Damn! When I bought my modest little hi-fi system, the first thing the wife said was "It's not gonna be another one of those things like computers where you'll be upgrading stuff all the time I hope" and I cowardly said "Nah".

Now I'm itching already! *wacko*

Hah! The best way to defer upgradeitis is to not buy the base model of anything, save for longer, then buy something a couple of stops up the line. Not only does it save money on countless upgrades that don't work you can end up with a much upgraded product by the time you have saved enough money to get it.

I did say 'defer' because it will get to you in the end..... ;-)

analog_bits

May 28, 2016
Visit site
NSA_watch_my_toilet said:
Rega will earn 198£. It's a great benefit for the british industry.

In fact, there is no modifications in any aspects of the performance in the turntable with the power device. The unit was tested by Stereoplay germany, no mesure was different, some details freaks will answer back that it adds perturbation in the regularity of the motor, but it's under every audible level. The only great thing is that you can change the speed directly on that. So it adds confort, but it's an expensive price for a speed switcher.

Yes, I remember seeing some graphs somewhere that did not show any impact. However, this week I was listening to the New Planar 3 2016 and to my big surprise there was a really clear difference on some records. Even double-blind it would have been very easy to hear. As I was originally sceptical, I had a conversation with the retailer about it. What I understood from him (which kind of made sense) is that if the electricity provided by the net is clean it will not have an impact, but as the electricity can be quite bad (minor frequency fluctuations + micro-spikes) it can have big impact. In this case the impact was really big. My conclusion: there is no general rule whether it has a positive impact or not. You will have to listen to it yourself (and preferably at your own house!). I have ordered my Planar 3 with it. When I get it I will do some measurements with and without the PSU.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts