Question Rega Planar 3 Tonearm Lift Problem

jonxley

Mar 25, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
First post for me and i have a very limited appreciation of HIFI in general.
Anyway I bought a second hand RP3 turntable and had it serviced locally.
Sounds great as far as I am aware, but I accidently used the pickup lever not realising that the tonearm was clipped in place. Now the level does not lift the arm to clear the height of the record, is this something I can easily fix, I can't see anything on Rega website. While I am here, can someone advise how I can understand the age of this TT, the vendor didn't know but described it as pre 2000? It has a Rega tonearm and a Nagaoka MP-11 Boron cartridge?
Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• 20210321_212323_resized.jpg
    20210321_212323_resized.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 7
Pre 2000 !
is the vendor a estate agent , MP11 Boron was from the 1980s
serial number will give the correct age mid 80s circa £99 cost new
You beat me to it... The tonearm is a giveaway.
To the OP,
There should be a grub-screw somewhere on the arm-lift mount that allows you to adjust the height of the lifting arm.
Should be able to adjust it if you first slack off that grub screw then raise the arm lifter along with tonearm, then re-tighten grub-screw
P.S. Replace that cartridge as soon as possible... or replace stylus, available here:-

camcroft

To the OP,
There should be a grub-screw somewhere on the arm-lift mount that allows you to adjust the height of the lifting arm.
Should be able to adjust it if you first slack off that grub screw then raise the arm lifter along with tonearm, then re-tighten grub-screw
P.S. Replace that cartridge as soon as possible... or replace stylus, available here:-
How would you compare the MP 11 with new stylus against say the Ortofon 2m red / Blue stylus? Would it be in the same league.

Last edited:

jonxley

Mar 25, 2021
Visit site
To the OP,
Pre 2000 !
is the vendor a estate agent , MP11 Boron was from the 1980s
serial number will give the correct age mid 80s circa £99 cost new
To the OP,
Many thanks for the response, I will take a look tonight and get back to you with the fix. Audio Affair are out of stock of that stylus but I will look elsewhere, all the best..

camcroft

If you could be sure the cartridge itself was sound then I would certainly take one over an Ortofon Red.
I have one fitted to a Thorens TD 147 which I bought in the 90s both are gathering dust in the loft I would think that the cartridge is fine I last used it early 2000s and it was perfect often I think would the Thorens be better than the Project which is slimline and I doubt that the boss would agree with it topping my system I would get the oh thats ugly.

Reactions: Al ears

jonxley

Mar 25, 2021
Visit site

Yes spot on, small adjustment with the locking screw and all fixed. Much appreciate you taking the time out to give that advice. As part of the service the engineer checked the signal on a scope although I don't pretend to understand what that means. The sound quality sounds bloody good to me,should I change the stylus / cartridge because of it's age and will I need any technical appreciation to set the angles / balance back up?
thanks again all....

Yes spot on, small adjustment with the locking screw and all fixed. Much appreciate you taking the time out to give that advice. As part of the service the engineer checked the signal on a scope although I don't pretend to understand what that means. The sound quality sounds bloody good to me,should I change the stylus / cartridge because of it's age and will I need any technical appreciation to set the angles / balance back up?
thanks again all....
Assuming the main cartridge body has no issues it might be an idea just to change the stylus itself. This would require no adjustments to downforce etc. it's just a straight swap-out.
If you have a decent magnifying glass it might be an idea to examine the stylus tip for wear but, if it were mine, I would swp it out as a matter of course if I was unsure of its history.

Reactions: jonxley

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts