REGA Planar 3 - cartridge ?

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a REGA Planar 3, and recently replaced the ancient and worn cartridge with a REGA Carbon. It sounded fine to my ears, but then I went and bought a pair of MA Bronze 2 speakers to replace the prehistoric Dentons I was using (The difference in the sound quality between the Dentons and Bronze was something to behold when I demoed them side by side in the shop). Anyway, since the new speakers I have realised, I think, that the TT sounds a bit...err..flat maybe ? The dealer who supplied the REGA Carbon would replace it with a Nagaoka MP110 giving me a trade in of about 75% of the value of the REGA Carbon.

Is this a sensible move - it is going to cost me around £60 - £70 ? Or would a different cartridge be better, or should I just sit on my hands and enjoy what I have. Most of the time I listen to CDs, so the TT doesn't get a huge amount of use. The amp is a NAD 316BEE and the CD Player is a Denon M39, but only used as a transport+DAC and is connected to the amp via RCA cables.

Thanks

Andrew

cisamcgu said:
Hi all,

I have a REGA Planar 3, and recently replaced the ancient and worn cartridge with a REGA Carbon. It sounded fine to my ears, but then I went and bought a pair of MA Bronze 2 speakers to replace the prehistoric Dentons I was using (The difference in the sound quality between the Dentons and Bronze was something to behold when I demoed them side by side in the shop). Anyway, since the new speakers I have realised, I think, that the TT sounds a bit...err..flat maybe ? The dealer who supplied the REGA Carbon would replace it with a Nagaoka MP110 giving me a trade in of about 75% of the value of the REGA Carbon.

Is this a sensible move - it is going to cost me around £60 - £70 ? Or would a different cartridge be better, or should I just sit on my hands and enjoy what I have. Most of the time I listen to CDs, so the TT doesn't get a huge amount of use. The amp is a NAD 316BEE and the CD Player is a Denon M39, but only used as a transport+DAC and is connected to the amp via RCA cables.

Thanks

Andrew

If you're not happy with the cartridge you have then the Nagaoka is definitely a better one. However, if you only play vinyl now and again, the extra cost may not be beneficial. I know what I would do however. ;-)

Fenton Beasley

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
cisamcgu said:
Hi all,

Thanks

Andrew

I once had a Planar 3 with Elys 2 cartridge. It was fine. Not bad at all. After a few years I replaced it with an Ortofon 2M Blue. I couldn't belive how much better the 2M Blue was.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Nagaoka carts seem to be very well regarded on these forums. Certainly it seems you can't go wrong with the one you've mentioned for that kind of budget. I went down the 2M Red route and was absolutely chuffed to bits. I listen to vinyl in bursts, but it's certainly worth spending a few quid one one if you have the cash.

by the way, my very first bit of proper hifi was a Planar 3.... That's a lovely TT you've got there!!!

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
If your Planar 3 is a recent one, with an RB300 arm, then a Nagaoka MP110 will be just fine; it will also work well if you have an original R200 arm, speaking from experience, and the upgrade will not be regretted, I think, whichever arm you have. If your budget will stretch, then you might consider the MP200, which is also well regarded here, and will serve you well.

Be aware of the Upgradeitis bug, it will occupy lots of your time, but you'll get good guidance on this forum. Just out of interest, did the speakers sound just as good in your system, at home?

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
The speakers sound superb at home. My room is a similar shape and size to the demo room and all the extra dynamics and detail show up well. I'm not 100% sure which arm I have, the RB300 I believe - the TT was a gift from my brother who bought it many, many years ago.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
My query was due to the differences between your home and the dealer's demo room, which you're aware of, and what sounds good at the dealer's might not sound quite as good at home.

There's loads of info on the Vinyl Engine site, on all thing vinyl, including Rega. My Planar 3, bought 1983, had the s-shaped R200, but later models had straight arms, the most popular being the RB300. While they've all been well regarded, they've been improved over time, and can all accept quite expensive cartridges - I had a Dynavector 10x4 in my deck for many years, until the suspension failed, I think, and I swapped it for the Nagaoka MP110, which was all I can afford, at the moment.

You've got a very generous brother, too. But, you can also go down the upgrade route, too, should you decide to.

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
The arm is straight and black - it certainly looks like an RB300 from googling images. My brother originally bought it in about 1984 I think, along with a Creek 4040 amplifier and Kef Coda speakers - both of which died many years ago. He gave it to me about a year ago when I was thinking of buying a RP1 or Project TT.

I am in two minds about the cartridge. I have no reason to believe that the Rega Carbon is performing badly and I worry that I want to get the 110 because I think the TT deserves better as opposed to actually hearing any deficiency. Plus the yellow is a nicer colour than the white of the carbon :) Also, I have the Rega A2D phonostage, which may also be a weak link (but in reality the weak link is most likely to be my hearing and expectations)

I think I will leave it for the moment since I am not sure the cartridge is a problem and think I should enjoy my new speakers before lurching down the path of upgraditis !!

cisamcgu said:
The arm is straight and black - it certainly looks like an RB300 from googling images. My brother originally bought it in about 1984 I think, along with a Creek 4040 amplifier and Kef Coda speakers - both of which died many years ago. He gave it to me about a year ago when I was thinking of buying a RP1 or Project TT.

I am in two minds about the cartridge. I have no reason to believe that the Rega Carbon is performing badly and I worry that I want to get the 110 because I think the TT deserves better as opposed to actually hearing any deficiency. Plus the yellow is a nicer colour than the white of the carbon :) Also, I have the Rega A2D phonostage, which may also be a weak link (but in reality the weak link is most likely to be my hearing and expectations)

I think I will leave it for the moment since I am not sure the cartridge is a problem and think I should enjoy my new speakers before lurching down the path of upgraditis !!

Understand, however the Regards Carbon is your weak link not the A2D. What do you expect from a cartridge costing £26. You have a very good turntable and a tonearm that will take cartridges costing hundreds of pounds. It deserves better whenever you can afford it.

A bit like buying a Ferrari and running it on remould tyres.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Precisely what I was about to say, except the Ferrari bit. What kit does your brother now have, and how does it sound? Have you a friendly local dealer, preferably a Rega dealer, who could demonstrate the differences between cartridges? Please believe me, there's so much more music in those grooves than a cheap cartridge can recover; you wouldn't believe it if you don't hear it.

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Currently I have a Rega Carbon which sounds OK, but sounded better with the old and rather dreadful speakers - I am assuming that it is just being exposed with the new ones. I do have a local dealer, P A Audio, who deal with Rega, and they are very helpful and patient with me :) and will part exchange the Carbon for £20. I think I will take them up on this and get a Nagaoka 110.

I will sleep on it and go and see them tomorrow, they are only about 800m away !

Many thanks

Andrew

GeoffreyW said:
Precisely what I was about to say, except the Ferrari bit. What kit does your brother now have, and how does it sound? Have you a friendly local dealer, preferably a Rega dealer, who could demonstrate the differences between cartridges? Please believe me, there's so much more music in those grooves than a cheap cartridge can recover; you wouldn't believe it if you don't hear it.

Not quite sure where the Rega dealer comes into this? Come away from there. Any decent dealer can point you in the right direction when it comes to cartridges. And I mean decent dealer not one that solely stocks middle of the road rubbish.

cisamcgu said:
what is "middle of the road rubbish" ?

Sorry about confusing wording but I was referring to the base level cartridges that are usually put on complete turntable packages.

Not meaning to sound snobbish but when you have a classic turntable like the Planar 3 with RB300 arm you really should get it fitted with something better than a £26 cartridge, if you want it to perform that is.

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. That is what I was guessing you meant. I will go down this afternoon to the shop and have a chat with them about possible cartridges, they have already agreed in principle to "buy back" the Rega Carbon if I wish.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Classic,classic,classic. As others have said - use a good cartridge and mount on a sturdy wall shelf away from the speakers if poss.

tonky

cisamcgu said:
Thanks. That is what I was guessing you meant. I will go down this afternoon to the shop and have a chat with them about possible cartridges, they have already agreed in principle to "buy back" the Rega Carbon if I wish.

Good move. If you can afford it a move up in the cartridge department is the only real way of improving the sound quality produced. There will be a notable improvement with that MP110.

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, I bit the bullet and got the Nag 110 cartridge this afternoon. The dealer ( PA Audio of Merseyside) gave me a full refund {£26} for the Rega Carbon and fitted the 110 for me. My first impressions are good. I find it very hard to compare things directly, my aural memory is very poor and I easily forget the details of what ever I heard only 10 minutes earlier, never mind 10 hours {how people can compare things days apart continually amazes me}. However I can definately say that the Nag 110 has much, much less surface noise than the Carbon did; the silent bits of a track are truly silent (CD-like) rather than almost silent but with a hiss/crackle/murmur that was evident with the Carbon. It is a pleasure to listen.

Other than that I cannot honestly say it sounds better, but I "think" it does :) And the yellow colour is much nicer

I will write more after a few days listening.

Cheers and thanks to everyone for your advice.

Andrew

cisamcgu said:
Well, I bit the bullet and got the Nag 110 cartridge this afternoon. The dealer ( PA Audio of Merseyside) gave me a full refund {£26} for the Rega Carbon and fitted the 110 for me. My first impressions are good. I find it very hard to compare things directly, my aural memory is very poor and I easily forget the details of what ever I heard only 10 minutes earlier, never mind 10 hours {how people can compare things days apart continually amazes me}. However I can definately say that the Nag 110 has much, much less surface noise than the Carbon did; the silent bits of a track are truly silent (CD-like) rather than almost silent but with a hiss/crackle/murmur that was evident with the Carbon. It is a pleasure to listen.

Other than that I cannot honestly say it sounds better, but I "think" it does :) And the yellow colour is much nicer

I will write more after a few days listening.

Cheers and thanks to everyone for your advice.

Andrew

I am sure it will grow on you, even if only for the silent bits :)

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
You'll probably find, over time, that you notice instrument's you'd never heard before. Sometimes the difference isn't immediately obvious, but the music just sounds somehow clearer and more complex. Enjoy your cartridge!

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Total agreement with alears and TSP. I find more detail, more information of instrument sounds, less stridency.

I, too, suffer from the same memory problems, cisamcgu, finding it difficult to detect slight changes in sound, such as when checking out platter mats, drive belts, for example, but I had no problems when I fitted the Nagaoka MP110.

Happy listening, cisamcgu, you may be on the way to catching upgradeitis, or becoming an audiophile? ;-)

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have been listening to the Nagaoka MP110 cartridge over the weekend and I am impressed. Not by the the actual sound, since I really cannot remember what it was like with the Carbon so a direct comparison is difficult, but rather the simple pleasure in listening. It seems warmer, fuller, just "nicer" in a way that I cannot describe. Some of it will be expectation bias I am sure, but I really do enjoy listening to my records more now. And, as I said before, the quiet bits are so much quieter :)

Thanks again

Andrew

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
If it means that you're enjoying playing and really listening to your records, cisamcgu, then that's what it's all about (not the hokey cokey). And you can tell a difference, after all.

As your cartridge runs in, you'll hear more detail in the instruments and the music, with higher frequencies revealed, without being to "splashy", and the bass goes quite low, and has loads of detail.

Here's to many happy years of listening, and the start of an increasing vinyl collection?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts