Rega Planar 2 or Project Debut Carbon Evo?

Pablo321

Jun 21, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, first time poster and relative beginner here. Having moved home a few months back, I now have a decent space to try and rediscover my long lost (20+yrs?!) love of vinyl. I am essentially starting from scratch, and after a bit of research picked up a Marantz PM 6005 amp and a pair of old Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 speakers to start me off. My imminent next purchase of a turntable is key, and I have narrowed as best I can using reviews and budget to get to these two.

I'm hoping the turntable will be good enough to allow me to upgrade speakers and possibly the amp over time.

Listening to a wide range of musical styles and tempos. Would really appreciate any thoughts or feedback!

Hi all, first time poster and relative beginner here. Having moved home a few months back, I now have a decent space to try and rediscover my long lost (20+yrs?!) love of vinyl. I am essentially starting from scratch, and after a bit of research picked up a Marantz PM 6005 amp and a pair of old Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 speakers to start me off. My imminent next purchase of a turntable is key, and I have narrowed as best I can using reviews and budget to get to these two.

I'm hoping the turntable will be good enough to allow me to upgrade speakers and possibly the amp over time.

Listening to a wide range of musical styles and tempos. Would really appreciate any thoughts or feedback!
Welcome to the forum.
They are both good turntables however the Rega turntable can be somewhat lacking in adjustability and for that reason I would choose the Pro-ject.
That and the ability to change speeds with a switch rather than manually.
Having said that I don't like the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge that it is normally sold with but it's certainly better than the one normally fitted to the Rega.
Either will work well with the rest of you setup.
Hope you kept your old vinyl as the new stuff is expensive :)

Last edited:

Pablo321

Jun 21, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
They are both good turntables however the Rega turntable can be somewhat lacking in adjustability and for that reason I would choose the Pro-ject.
That and the ability to change speeds with a switch rather than manually.
Having said that I don't like the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge that it is normally sold with but it's certainly better than the one normally fitted to the Rega.
Either will work well with the rest of you setup.
Hope you kept your old vinyl as the new stuff is expensive :)
Thanks for the feedback. Thankfully I did keep the old vinyl. Just looking forward to having something decent to play them on!

Reactions: Al ears

rainsoothe

If you don't mind the looks, you should consider the Audio Technica LP5X. Much more flexible and, theoretically, better pitch stability. Otherwise, I agree with everything Al Ears said.

Reactions: Pablo321

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts