Rega Planar 1 Plus speed issue

Nespralm

Jun 16, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone!
I recently purchased a brand new Rega Planar 1 plus turntable and realised that it was running awfully slow- i timed it at 32 instead of 33 1/2 rpm so returned it and just received a replacement unit- only to realise that it also has the same.
Before I return it and ask for my hard-earned cash back and look for another brand I wanted to ask if there’s anybody out there running into the same issues. I find it hard to believe that a brand such as Rega would not have thorough quality control processes and ship out faulty units. I have tried plugging it into different outlets but it is still running slow… what could the issue be?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Hello everyone!
I recently purchased a brand new Rega Planar 1 plus turntable and realised that it was running awfully slow- i timed it at 32 instead of 33 1/2 rpm so returned it and just received a replacement unit- only to realise that it also has the same.
Before I return it and ask for my hard-earned cash back and look for another brand I wanted to ask if there’s anybody out there running into the same issues. I find it hard to believe that a brand such as Rega would not have thorough quality control processes and ship out faulty units. I have tried plugging it into different outlets but it is still running slow… what could the issue be?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
the issue could be your timing method, which was what exactly?
And it's 33.3 by the way

Nespralm

Jun 16, 2022
Visit site
I tried with a cellphone app. While this may not be accurate I have nevertheless tried with two records and both sound awfully slow... its definitely running slow. Should i just return it and forget about Rega?
Ive tried looking for a customer service email or contact but they seem not to have any!

thanks again for your comments!

Nespralm

Jun 16, 2022
Visit site
Is it particularly hot in your house at the moment?I
Only asking as the belt can be susceptible to high heat.
If an LP sounds awfully slow then it could be down to belt slippage
No it isnt and I have the A/C on!
So i've tried several records and different power outlets in the house with the same result. Its a brand new unit, the second one that I try. I think i might as well take it back and have the supplier try it themselves. I suspect it could be something to do with my house's power supply and Rega not getting aling.... frustrating!!!

No it isnt and I have the A/C on!
So i've tried several records and different power outlets in the house with the same result. Its a brand new unit, the second one that I try. I think i might as well take it back and have the supplier try it themselves. I suspect it could be something to do with my house's power supply and Rega not getting aling.... frustrating!!!
it may well be the power supply. Test it the same way at the dealers would be my advice but if it works fine there it does not really help you.
Try a different brand.

I’m a bit rusty on pitch, but I think 6% is a semitone, which will be audible if you’re sensitive or have perfect pitch.

6% of 33 1/3 rpm is 2rpm, so I guess if 32rpm is true, then it could be audible. If the pitch is merely slow, but not slurring or warbling then it’s unlikely ime to be belt slippage. (Or in Rega’s case pulley slip that sometimes happens). If the speed depends on your mains frequency maybe that’s low, or you have the wrong transformer - maybe?

Best bet seems to be to try another turntable and see what you hear. Some tables are a bit fast when new. They can sound more ‘energetic’ in a comparison.

Reactions: Nespralm

Nespralm

Jun 16, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies...
Before I head to the dealer and return it I was thinking that this could be due to the ATC converter that i m using? I picked up a really cheap one from Amazon but am not sure that could affect it speedwise.
As for the power supply, given that i tried several outlets in the house with the same result, and that i have no issues with any other appliances I kinda think that it shouldnt be the power supply which is 220V at 50Hz....

this is a real mistery!!!

Do you guys thinks this could be due to the ATC converter?

Nespralm

Jun 16, 2022
Visit site
As it turns out both units happened to have faulty power supplies. Same production batch number but different serial numbers obviously. Both returned to the supplier who in turn will contact Rega.

as I don’t want to go through the possibility of a third faulty unit I will no longer purchase Rega. If anyone had any suggestions to anything similar to the Planar 1s or 2s please let me know!

thanks

As it turns out both units happened to have faulty power supplies. Same production batch number but different serial numbers obviously. Both returned to the supplier who in turn will contact Rega.

as I don’t want to go through the possibility of a third faulty unit I will no longer purchase Rega. If anyone had any suggestions to anything similar to the Planar 1s or 2s please let me know!

thanks
Project decks are a good bet.

thanks
Gosh, that’s shocking QC then. One I could understand, but not a batch. Glad we were getting close to a diagnosis, even over the internet!

As already suggested, Pro-Ject are easy to recommend, but they do have a vast range, so check carefully it has the spec you need e.g. a built in phono stage, or budget to add one on. Audio Technica also have a decent range if you want a more classic look.

Reactions: Nespralm
Gosh, that’s shocking QC then. One I could understand, but not a batch. Glad we were getting close to a diagnosis, even over the internet!

As already suggested, Pro-Ject are easy to recommend, but they do have a vast range, so check carefully it has the spec you need e.g. a built in phono stage, or budget to add one on. Audio Technica also have a decent range if you want a more classic look.
We still don't seem to have established whether or not it is his power supply that is causing the issue.... How was the idea of faulty power supply determined

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
The only turntable I have ever owned had a strobe with speed adjustment. Is this feature not available any more?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts