DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm also interested - would the P5 offer much improvement (has to be "hearable") over the P3-24 that I already have, for example? I hope I haven't inadvertedly hijacked your thread pp?:oops:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The possibility of a new P5 was why I ended up with an ex dem (perfect condition) with full guarantee, for a £500! So look around for the ex dem/end of line offers. Problem with Rega they do extend there launch dates a bit from what I've heard.

However there is a fly in the ointment, the way I see it? . . . Regas are a fine product out of the box, but they can be better, by a good chunk, as I'm discovering.

The plastic Rega sub-plater is better damped, the standard Stainless Steel counter weight is improved on by Regas Tungsten option or by 'after market' under-slung, asymmetric counter weights, in my case the ISOweight. I highly recommend the Rega 'white drive belt' upgrade. These are reasonably economic improvements that do work!

The various 'mod squads' have jumped on a well engineered and conceived product, no point in doing anything on something that is poor to start with. So take that as a positive flattery of the Rega range.

The more expensive upgrades that do work, acrylic platter, machined aluminium sub-platter with new Ruby bearing, move a full priced P5 rather high up the 'look at alternative product' ladder IMHO. At £500 for ex dem, I see it still as a bargain, for one of the sub £500 Rega models, its a genuine 'silk purse' move but the sows ear does not come into it.

You know one of the really nice points about a Rega turntable, they are very unassuming, small, siting in the corner getting on with playing music . . . I like that.

CJSF

CJSF said:
The possibility of a new P5 was why I ended up with an ex dem (perfect condition) with full guarantee, for a £500! So look around for the ex dem/end of line offers. Problem with Rega they do extend there launch dates a bit from what I've heard.

However there is a fly in the ointment, the way I see it? . . . Regas are a fine product out of the box, but they can be better, by a good chunk, as I'm discovering.

The plastic Rega sub-plater is better damped, the standard Stainless Steel counter weight is improved on by Regas Tungsten option or by 'after market' under-slung, asymmetric counter weights, in my case the ISOweight. I highly recommend the Rega 'white drive belt' upgrade. These are reasonably economic improvements that do work!

The various 'mod squads' have jumped on a well engineered and conceived product, no point in doing anything on something that is poor to start with. So take that as a positive flattery of the Rega range.

The more expensive upgrades that do work, acrylic platter, machined aluminium sub-platter with new Ruby bearing, move a full priced P5 rather high up the 'look at alternative product' ladder IMHO. At £500 for ex dem, I see it still as a bargain, for one of the sub £500 Rega models, its a genuine 'silk purse' move but the sows ear does not come into it.

You know one of the really nice points about a Rega turntable, they are very unassuming, small, siting in the corner getting on with playing music . . . I like that.

CJSF

Certainly understand the upgrades to Rega stuff, but I think if I was to lay my hands on a bog-standard P5 then it should outperform my Pro-ject.

The one thing I dislike about Rega and Pro-ject budget decks is they are cloned from each other - or certainly looks that way. They look cheap and nasty, even though they sound really good, and clearly they are built to a budget. I'd rather have better looks, even if it means spending a bit extra.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Certainly understand the upgrades to Rega stuff, but I think if I was to lay my hands on a bog-standard P5 then it should outperform my Pro-ject.

The one thing I dislike about Rega and Pro-ject budget decks is they are cloned from each other - or certainly looks that way. They look cheap and nasty, even though they sound really good, and clearly they are built to a budget. I'd rather have better looks, even if it means spending a bit extra.

. . . Cheap and nasty . . . ? I'd prefer understated, less in your face, but thats me, preferring the practical, functional side of life, I'm happy to dive a 'van with windows', live in a small, simple cottage, each to his own.

However, which ever way you slice it, the Rega is a good deck, tweak it with a little thought and TLC, it becomes an exceptional performer, no vices . . . like suspension? . . . and if you notice they all have there 'mod squad' options . . . even Linn, its been in the mod corner for decades by Linn themselves, they call it 'progress' . . . :? I'd be banned from site if I said what I call it :silenced:

However, you must enjoy 'thinking' about your hifi. In my mind I have two areas, 'the what do I do now corner' and 'the sit back and enjoy the music corner', both have equal importance, give me equal pleasure, but I get a lot of anticipation and fun from the tweaking corner:grin:

CJSF

CJSF said:
plastic penguin said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

. . . Cheap and nasty . . . ? I'd prefer understated, less in your face, but thats me, preferring the practical, functional side of life, I'm happy to dive a 'van with windows', live in a small, simple cottage, each to his own.

However, which ever way you slice it, the Rega is a good deck, tweak it with a little thought and TLC, it becomes an exceptional performer, no vices . . . like suspension? . . . and if you notice they all have there 'mod squad' options . . . even Linn, its been in the mod corner for decades by Linn themselves, they call it 'progress' . . . :? I'd be banned from site if I said what I call it :silenced:

However, you must enjoy 'thinking' about your hifi. In my mind I have two areas, 'the what do I do now corner' and 'the sit back and enjoy the music corner', both have equal importance, give me equal pleasure, but I get a lot of anticipation and fun from the tweaking corner:grin:

CJSF

Totally concur: I live in a pokey little bungalow, drive a 10 year old car and run a (very) small business. I'm very self-effacing sort of guy. No bells and whistles.

Like a 'Hunt' the thrill is in the chase. Sometimes the 'end product' can be an anti-climax.

I've only heard Rega TTs once about 15 years ago, and to be brutally honest, can't remember much about them; the only thing that resonates with me is they left a good feeling, in addition to their reputation.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well PP, it was 20 years not hearing any hifi for me accept the od CD in the car . . . Reputation in the case of Rega is well founded, you are paying for the bits that matter in a TT, the rest is plain and functional = low cost?

If you go the Rega route, invest in the Rega 'white motor belt', then get an 'ISOweight arm counter weight', then sit back and enjoy the music. Muse over whether you want to go further . . . Next step, an acrylic platter 20-25mm thick, then a machined sup-platter and ruby bearing. After that, frankly I think its 'the kings new clothes' . . . ? a personal opinion of course.

Not got an machined sup-platter myself . . . yet . . . . . . . . ?

Horlicks time, I think, 'Good Vibes at the Pawnshop' tonight . . . :p

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts