Rega P3/24, ortofon 2M blue. Will they fit into my budget system? need help please!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI. I'm having an ortofon 2m blue fitted to my Rega P3 24 by my local dealer as it needs spacers apparently and i can't/won't do it myself. Haven't listened to the deck since I bought it a couple of months ago as still aquiring bits and bats. I will be getting the ttpsu power supply soon as funds allow. My question is i'm interested in getting the Graham Slee Era Gold V phonostage but my amp is only a Marantz PM6002 which I feel has a really weak bass response and could be a real weak link that wont do justice to the rest of the set up. Would this be overkill or would it be ok temporarily til I can afford a decent amp (possibly the Rega Brio R then eventually a Roksan Caspian M2). Speakers are B & W 685's with Chord silverplus spkr cable. Any help appreciated.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Should be just fine I reckon, especially as you already intend to upgrade in the future... of course, once you get that Roksan you'll have to upgrade everything else :p :wall:

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the input. Problem is I wont be able to upgrade to a high end system for awhile so I need the Graham Slee with Marantz Pm6002 to sound decent for a long while at least. I might just get the Rega Brio R to kill 2 birds with 1 stone i.e great phono stage and better amp although i'm worried as have heard the Brio R is a bit bright on other forums. I need more bass but not at the expense of detail, neutrality etc. even considering a Nad c326bee for it's great bass response. A sideways move possibly?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
You don’t say whether you’re buying new or secondhand.
If new the WHF school of thought seems to be spend 20-25% or TT cost on a phono stage so spending £370 could be classed as overkill with the Rega.
If secondhand it’s still overkill but cheaper to get there.
You will need a phono stage with a Caspian so depending on how long it will take you to get one buying a Rega may not be the best option as you will need the best part of 2 grand when it’s Caspian time. It may be better to take your amp with you and demo the Era gold or cheaper with the Marantz and see what it sounds like.
Better to buy once than twice.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I use the Rega P3-24 with an Ortofon 2m blue, my phono stage is the Graham Slee Era V gold with the upgraded power supply. The Rega is more than capable of delivering with this phono stage and will give you a nice upgrade path if you decide to upgrade your amp in the future. I was lucky enough to buy the Slee for £295.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies. I'm buying brand new as don't like buying 2nd hand. As the owner of a cat who delights in scent marking (on the amp once or twice til I discovered it) I know how easy it would be to cover up such a thing and pass it off as new. Or am I just being cynical? Think I might be living in cloud cuckoo land at the mo with regards the Caspian. Hmmm lots to mull over. May go for a Gram Amp 2 s.e. or a rega Fono but bit annoyed at the £50 price hike on the psu and £20? on the fono.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts