Rega mira 3 vs Naim Nait 5i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi all,

I have recently purchased a pair of MA rs6 speakers, i am thoroughly impressed with them and would like a nice amp and cd player to match.

I went into audio-t and auditioned first the marantz pm6003 with the cd6003 (with unknown speakers) playing chopin's piano sonatas... to be honest i was very impressed but it was only when i switched to the rega apollo3 with the brio3 that things really started to happen... when i matched the apollo with the mira 3 i became so immersed in the music i forgot i was auditioning at all, got to be a good sign! anyway cut a long story short i was very impressed with the combination and pretty much ready to buy, until; i had a look at some reviews heavily favoring the naim nait over the mira (price considered)

I know to always trust my own ears over other reviewers, as it is me who will be spending the money and reaping the rewards although i haven't properly listened to both the mira and nait back to back using the apollo cd.

does anyone have any interesting insight towards either of these amps? i usually trust 'what hifi' reviews but there is currently not one that i know of for the mira.

And more to the point I have a few slight concerns with the lack of equalizer settings on the mira. I should mention that these are the first speakers I have owned that have allowed my amp to sit fully neutral permanently; playing crisp highs, clear mids and deep, punchy yet refined bass. I am just worried that the combination of; potentially bright amp, no eq control and bob dylan will push my speakers to a height from which they cannot return!

basically i want balance..... but still fear the idea of HAL, sorry, the Mira keeping all the controls to itself without being designed for a specific set of speakers.

I would love any advice on these points and look forward to some insights!

Cheers all!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I demoed both of these a while ago using the apollo and CD5i. The best combination to my ears was definately the Apollo + Naim 5i.

The speakers will when run in sound different and the harshness of the treble will calm down.

The Naim will inject life and soul into the music and deliver a much moire enjoyable listen.

I would recommend using a Chord Chameleon Interconnect as well hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Obviously go and listen to the Nait with your speakers but I think the Mira3 is a bit more laid back and suits the forward balance of the MA RS6s more.

A

Anonymous

now for me the synergy and soundstage between the mira 3 and the apollo sounded better than the 5i and apollo pairing, for the extra money it did'nt seem worth it so i went for the mira 3, go back listen again to both and don't let reviews tempt you either way, reviews are good for an idea of what to demo but not to buy, thats the job for your ears!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
If you need control settings, you might want to consider Arcam A18. For me, it's a better match for your speakers in terms of sound.

If I were forced to pick between the Mira and the Nait, in this setting, I would pick the Mira. Being "immersed in music" is a pretty good sign, I would say.

A

Anonymous

Interesting thread! The OP's experience with the Mira sounds excellent. Trust your instincts! I still would love to hear from anyone who heard the Mira/Apollo combo with Proac speakers. Anyone?

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

cheers guys,

thanks alot for the advice, I think i will go for the mira, this will allow me to get the rega p3-24 aswell, should be a nice setup!

I gave the Nait 5i a thorough testing with my RS6 and the result was horrid. Not heard any of the Rega stuff, but to make the most of the RS6s they need to be powered by a smoother sounding amp: Arcam, Roksan kandy or Caspian, Exposure or higher end Marantz.

logemajn

May 23, 2008
Visit site
Had the exact same experience; had the Nait for a couple of days and there was no synergy at all with the RS6 so went for a smooth amp.

TRENDING THREADS