Rega Isis...Holy Cow!

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Simply put...I want one!

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

Anything that looks that odd has to sound good right?!
emotion-5.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
This sounds rather impressive...

Quote...

"During manufacture we will match 3 identical laser units. One will be fitted in the player the other two will have the product serial number marked on them and will be archived here at the Rega factory offering guaranteed product longevity and peace of mind for every customer."

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Would we balk at the price if it were a flagship Naim or Krell or Bryston or from some other 'high end' outfit?.

Until products like the P9 and Apheta and Elicit came along, Rega were always considered a budget/mid-fi company with 'stripped down', no-fuss products designed with engineering integrity, overseen by an owner who was an engineer and musician, and never touted at shows or even advertised. Even the packaging is utilitarian.

A bit stark and even cheap (where it never really mattered like turntable lid hinges) and traditionally not prone to price pumping frou-frou's like inch thick CNC machined fascias or gold-plated volume controls.

I am certain some of this approach was calculated (just a little) to reinforce Rega's.. "does what it says on the tin" type honesty and - in this day and age - the 'Soviet' style packaging probably costs just as much as the more 'flashy' variety to produce!

I have read some people - in the past - opining that Rega had 'sold out' by dabbling in the high-end, but the praise for their flagship products up until now has been louder than the sort of critics who felt that Rega should never have even made a CD player at all !

I wish them well with the new Isis and Osiris products and the forthcoming high-end turntable (reputed to be priced way above the P9) even though I will not be able to afford them myself.

Hopefully the engineering and technology will trickle down to us lesser mortal's systems in time.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Good point Chebby (and thanks for reposting a better link :)).

I spoke to my local Rega dealer today who is expecting a visit shortly from the Isis and I have to say I'm going to have to go and have a listen!

BTW - he thinks it should be just under £5k. Not cheap to be sure, but as you say, look at any other respected manufacturer considered 'high end' and they have players well over this price too!!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Signals in Ipswich have posted the arrival of the Isis on their front page here....

http://www.signals.uk.com/

And the 'undressing' (for a bit of a tease)...

http://www.signals.uk.com/regaisisunboxing.html

They have it warming up now. Hopefully in a day or two they will post 1st impressions.

I don't even know why I should have any interest in this. But I do, so there.
emotion-1.gif
I am always interested when Rega do something new. (And I could win the lottery jackpot.)

I guess there must be enough Rega 'faithfuls' out there who started out young with a budget Rega deck and are now wealthy enough to support this sort of venture. I hope for Rega it is a great product and there are enough customers to make it worthwhile for them.

(I have no connection with Signals or Rega. Just a fan.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I almost missed that bit about the matching Osiris amplifier that is due soon.

Now where is that matching 'high end' Rega turntable that I have also heard rumblings about?

I love that bit... "The presentation is so utterly different to our reference Naim players that it is almost unsettling."

Ooh. Gloves off & get down and dirty between the Essex boys and the Moonrakers of Salisbury?

I hope so.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Was down at my Rega dealer today and he reckons there will be two versions of this player available - one at about £5k and the other at £5.5k...the more expensive one has a second box...presumably an isolated PSU...sounds familiar?!?!

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, what's another grand between friends right?

From what I can understand through the dealer, there hasn't been a great deal of firm information from Rega about the players price point but I'm sure that will change soon.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Probably a case of.. "If you have to ask..." etc

I don't think at these price levels people are standing in the shop rummaging around for loose change and borrowing a tenner off the missus to make up the difference.

They probably don't even go to 'a shop'.

They just get their 'people' to sort out all that nonsense with the dealer and it just 'appears', already set-up in their weekend place in the country for a home demo.

If they like it, their people sort all that money stuff out for them too.

A

Anonymous

Bodfish:
Anything that looks that odd has to sound good right?!
emotion-5.gif

Well, it seems safe to assume they blew the entire design budget on the internals, so hopefully yes. It looks like it was separated at birth from a stealth bomber, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

A

Anonymous

Looks good to me - though if you were, say, to downsize from 2 Naim boxes to the Isis, it wouldn't exactly look unobtrusive!

The Signals website is an object lesson in both design and intelligent information.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ChrisMM:
The Signals website is an object lesson in both design and intelligent information.

Agreed.

They have also been known to say when they don't like something on some occasions. (Or have alternate suggestions on partnering and cabling etc to what manufacturers tell us.) They actually seem to listen and play around with this stuff rather than just shift boxes and echo the usual 'blurb'.

A

Anonymous

Borrowed one recently - BIG MISTAKE.

The CDS3/XPS2 has now been sold........Yes IMHO it is that good, now suffering Rega Isis tremors waiting for mine to land.

From what I heard from this CD spinner, it seems we have gone full circle from excellent vinyl replay to CD that is as good as vinyl, probably not up with the Radikal'd LP12 or other such fine decks, but gives you the same memorable musical experience as vinyl, leaving you wanting more.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts