WrapJax

Mar 18, 2022
Visit site
Got a weird hum that I can’t figure out. Rega P6 with Ania Pro. Amp is Rega Osiris. I’ve scoured the forums and the only solution I’ve come up with is sitting the Aria MK3 on its side. Hum completely disappears. Obviously this isn’t optimal. Any suggestions? I do have a BDI audio cabinet on order which will allow the Aria to be further from the Osiris. But in case I’ve missed something please let me know. BTW Rega DAC R and Saturn R are dead quiet. It’s only the Aria that has the issue.

shadders

and the only solution I’ve come up with is sitting the Aria MK3 on its side. Hum completely disappears.
Hi,
This sounds like a mechanical fault. I examined a picture of the internals :
There is an earth wire from the bottom right to the centre of the main PCB. Has this become lose ?
Is the hum through the speakers or the unit itself humming ?
Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: nopiano
Welcome to the forum. Is this kit new, or new to you?

All phono stages have vast amplification, because that’s the nature of the beast, and as a consequence are often sensitive to location. Fortunately, with care, using a biggish volume setting - a bit above the maximum you’d ever listen at - you can move the Aria around like a sort of probe. Obviously, great care is need to make sure nothing becomes unplugged, or you would be likely to get a speaker-destroying noise!

It seems like you may have done this already, and if it’s new kit I’d definitely query it with your dealer. Otherwise, just move the Aria as far away as the leads allow, and keep mains well away from signal cables.

Reactions: shadders

WrapJax

Mar 18, 2022
Visit site
Odd one.
I am not familiar with modern Rega preamps but have you tried removing any earth wire if you have one attached from the turntable?
any phono preamp is best sited as far away from the turntable and any amps as you can get.

Thanks for your reply. My understanding the earth wire is routed in one of the RCA terminals. There is no separate one visible on the P6.

WrapJax

Mar 18, 2022
Visit site
There is an earth wire from the bottom right to the centre of the main PCB. Has this become lose ?
Is the hum through the speakers or the unit itself humming ?

I will have to check on that later when I'm back in front of it. The TT is brand new so if there's an issue I'm sure I can swap it out once they get another one in stock. The Ania Pro was factory installed so I would hope the entire thing would be solid having come directly from the factory.

WrapJax

Mar 18, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Is this kit new, or new to you?

All phono stages have vast amplification, because that’s the nature of the beast, and as a consequence are often sensitive to location. Fortunately, with care, using a biggish volume setting - a bit above the maximum you’d ever listen at - you can move the Aria around like a sort of probe. Obviously, great care is need to make sure nothing becomes unplugged, or you would be likely to get a speaker-destroying noise!

It seems like you may have done this already, and if it’s new kit I’d definitely query it with your dealer. Otherwise, just move the Aria as far away as the leads allow, and keep mains well away from signal cables.

Everything is new but bought in stages. At first I had a Rega MC Phono but switched it out with Aria MK3. The hum was not as bad when I had everything in the cabinet with the DAC and MC Phono and Aria under the AMP. But I moved it above the AMP where it is currently in the pic when I added the Saturn R. The hum was there just not as bad. I have ordered a new cabinet which is vertical and a Rega wall mount for the TT. Once that's all in place I'm hoping that with getting things moved apart that it will improve or go away completely. It's just odd that putting the Ania on its side made the hum completely disappear. Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

Reactions: nopiano

shadders

I will have to check on that later when I'm back in front of it. The TT is brand new so if there's an issue I'm sure I can swap it out once they get another one in stock. The Ania Pro was factory installed so I would hope the entire thing would be solid having come directly from the factory.
Hi,
If you turn the Aria MK3 on its side and the hum stops, then as per others statement, it could be a proximity issue of the cables near a 50Hz magnetic field.

Alternatively, it could be a mechanical fault, such as a loose transformer humming, or the earth wire intermittently connecting etc.

The issue does seem to be the Aria MK3.

Regards,
Shadders.

WrapJax

Mar 18, 2022
Visit site
Agreed. I did have the same hum with a Rega MC Phono before I swapped out for the Aria. The hum was similar but not as loud on the Aria. It only got bad when I moved it above the Amp. I'll mess around with the cables as well. The cable management could be better for sure. When you say 50Hz magnetic field would that be from a power cable? The Amp has a Rega Reference Power Cable and the others have standard but beefy power cables. Everything is plugged into an APC power strip which is in turn plugged into an APC battery backup system.

shadders

Agreed. I did have the same hum with a Rega MC Phono before I swapped out for the Aria. The hum was similar but not as loud on the Aria. It only got bad when I moved it above the Amp. I'll mess around with the cables as well. The cable management could be better for sure. When you say 50Hz magnetic field would that be from a power cable? The Amp has a Rega Reference Power Cable and the others have standard but beefy power cables. Everything is plugged into an APC power strip which is in turn plugged into an APC battery backup system.
Hi,
Can you connect the APC power strip directly into a mains socket, taking the APC battery backup system out of the loop ?

If the hum stops when the Aria MK3 is on its side, then leave it in that position, as it does not affect the operation of the device.

Do you live next to a power substation or other ?

Regards,
Shadders.

WrapJax

Mar 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi,
Can you connect the APC power strip directly into a mains socket, taking the APC battery backup system out of the loop ?

If the hum stops when the Aria MK3 is on its side, then leave it in that position, as it does not affect the operation of the device.

Do you live next to a power substation or other ?

Regards,
Shadders.
Tried your suggestion of plugging the APC power strip straight into the wall. No change. Don't live near a substation. All the other systems connected to the Osiris are dead quiet. DAC and Saturn...

shadders

Tried your suggestion of plugging the APC power strip straight into the wall. No change. Don't live near a substation. All the other systems connected to the Osiris are dead quiet. DAC and Saturn...
Hi,
If you disconnect the turntable output (RCA wires) to the Aria MK3, does the hum stop ?

Regards,
Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts