Rega Elex-r Rega RP3 hum

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I have recently upgraded my Brio-r to Elex-R.

There was hum from the RP3 with the Brio-r but now with the Elex-R it’s almost unbearable.

Not sure I want to keep the RP3 unless I can get a solution.

Any help would be appreciated

Woodchippie said:
I have recently upgraded my Brio-r to Elex-R.

There was hum from the RP3 with the Brio-r but now with the Elex-R it’s almost unbearable.

Not sure I want to keep the RP3 unless I can get a solution.

Any help would be appreciated

Take both items to a dealership?

However you could make a start by removing an earth wire from the set-up.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Loads of questions I am afraid:

Is it hum through the speakers rather than a possible "mechanical" hum from the amplifier ?

Is it volume dependent ?

Do you hear it above music during replay ?

What else is cvonnected to the amplifier ?

Where is the turmntable situated in relation to the amplifier ?

How close are the loudspeakers to the turntable ?

Was the system installed by a Rega franchise dealer ?

Was the ampifier bought new ?

You say that the hum is "worse" with the Elex than the Brio, in what way ?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to establish the situation to deliver a solution,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi Paul

Is it hum through the speakers rather than a possible "mechanical" hum from the amplifier ? Yes through the speakers.

Is it volume dependent ? Yes volume dependant

Do you hear it above music during replay ? Yes and in between tracks

What else is connected to the amplifier ?Bluesound Node 2 moved to Input 4

Where is the turntable situated in relation to the amplifier ? 12” to the right with the BS Node in between, have moved it there to try more separation.

How close are the loudspeakers to the turntable ? Right loudspeaker approx 2 feet away left 4 feet away.

Was the system installed by a Rega franchise dealer ? No

Was the amplifier bought new ? Yes Audio T Cheltenham, last week.

You say that the hum is "worse" with the Elex than the Brio, in what way ? Louder.

I noticed the hum straight away with the Elex-R the Brio-r you would only notice if turned up a lot louder when not playing. The Elex-R, I can hear the hum whilst playing a track and in between tracks.

Also the hum gets worse when I hold/touch the Tonearm.

I’ve had the RP3 5 years with the elys 2 package from Music Matters Stratford on Avon.
Thanks John

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the in depth reply, I have contacted Audio T Cheltenham (closed Mondays) and asked them to contact you and investigate and eradicate the problem for you.

Best regards,

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
I had an issue with my RP3, many times, took it to a Rega dealer whom i didn't buy it from as i had the hump with a very respctable dealer who i first purchased from and they couldn't diagnose the problem. all it was, was an earth cable somewhere in the tonearm that wasn't earthed, Rega charged me £65.00 for a new cable, sounds good now, but my next turntable will not be a Rega, not knocking them but years ago thay were guaranteed for life

gregory said:
I had an issue with my RP3, many times, took it to a Rega dealer whom i didn't buy it from as i had the hump with a very respctable dealer who i first purchased from and they couldn't diagnose the problem. all it was, was an earth cable somewhere in the tonearm that wasn't earthed, Rega charged me £65.00 for a new cable, sounds good now, but my next turntable will not be a Rega, not knocking them but years ago thay were guaranteed for life

This may have been the case in your instance but normally, like mine, it's a case of too many earths and simply disconnecting one solved the problem.

gregory said:

This may have been the case in your instance but normally, like mine, it's a case of too many earths and simply disconnecting one solved the problem.

It can get very complicated when running a turntable through a phono preamp and then into an amp, too many earths!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Initially run through an integrated amp so not to many earth's, just a faulty cable, like I said I'm not knocking Rega, I still use the turntable but they have of late been having a few issues for which I hope they have ironed out, I was just annoyed at having to shell out on something that should have been sorted while under guarantee.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi Gregory, I would be staggered that we (Rega) charged you £65 for a new lead unless the turntable was long out of guarantee and / or damaged in some way, if you could let me know more about the circumstances then I will investigate and get back to you immediately, best, PD.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
A ground loop as described by Al Ears sounds different to a missing earth. Ground loops are more of a hum, missing earths are more of a buzz, but if you really don't know your ar*e from your elbow when it comes to hifi electrics you aren't going to know the difference unfortunately. When you say the hum sounds worse when you touch the tonearm, that sounds like a missing earth to me; possibly chassis earth, because if it was a cartridge wire at fault, you'd be down a channel as well.

As a test, run a length of random spare wire from the earth terminal on the back of the amp and touch the end against a metal part of the turntable. Any old wire will do, so long as it isn't broken along its length. If the buzzing shuts up you have your answer.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul, should i contact you through the magazine or do you need my email address, could the moderators give you my email address.

paul darwin

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Gregory, I am not sure whether the moderators can do that.

I have tried to privately mail you via this site but it does not have that facility.

If you give Rega HQ a call and get them to give you my private e mail address as I think that is prerefrable to me posting it here.

Thanks,

PD

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Gregory, I am not sure whether the moderators can do that.

I have tried to privately mail you via this site but it does not have that facility.

If you give Rega HQ a call and get them to give you my private e mail address as I think that is prerefrable to me posting it here.

Thanks,

PD

Details not on Rega website so hopefully this is still up-to-date ...
  • Telephone: 01702 461 982
  • Telephone: 01702 333 071
(Numbers originally from a 2012 post.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts