Rega DAC

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
JezBaker said:
BUMP

Thought i would bump this thread as im interested to see peoples views and have they changed since they bought one

Hi jezbaker

I am now even more impressed with Rega's DAC since i first got one in stock last December
smiley-smile.gif
Rega's DAC is a bargain :bigsmile:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft#

great to hear :D

cant wait to get my hands on one. is going to be a worthy upgrade from my beresford 7520.

[/quote]

A

Anonymous

I'm still happy with the DAC. I wish I could figure out what the filters do though. I can't hear any difference. :)

A

Anonymous

MoData said:
I'm still happy with the DAC. I wish I could figure out what the filters do though. I can't hear any difference. :)

Hopefully Rick can shed some light on the filters

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Filter 1 is good and balanced. Filter 2 is the slightly more rounded "more TT esque". Filter three is a bit forward. Filter 4 is very forward.

In my room with my system and ears I prefer Filter 2

PS this DAC is the best £400 I have spent in a long while. (Except my new Db1i's £460 :))

A

Anonymous

I posted earlier about the Rega DAC regarding delivery delays. Mine arrived in the middle of January and it's been a revelation( literally). I am using it with a Squeezebox Duet and a Cambridge Audio Discmagic Transport, a Rega Mira and Mordaunt Short MS 815's. The biggest differance is with the positioning of voices and instruments, everything is now placed in a 3D space before me. It is also clearer, I am hearing nuances I had not before. One surprise is how good it makes MP3 sound. I expected flac to be good but higher resolution MP3 is transformed. On the slightly down side I am not noticing massive differences with the odd higher bit rate files I have, but I have so few it is hard to judge. All in all money extremely well spent in my opinion. I am now listening to more music than I have for ages and that has to be a good thing.

A

Anonymous

RMutt said:
I posted earlier about the Rega DAC regarding delivery delays. Mine arrived in the middle of January and it's been a revelation( literally). I am using it with a Squeezebox Duet and a Cambridge Audio Discmagic Transport, a Rega Mira and Mordaunt Short MS 815's. The biggest differance is with the positioning of voices and instruments, everything is now placed in a 3D space before me. It is also clearer, I am hearing nuances I had not before. One surprise is how good it makes MP3 sound. I expected flac to be good but higher resolution MP3 is transformed. On the slightly down side I am not noticing massive differences with the odd higher bit rate files I have, but I have so few it is hard to judge. All in all money extremely well spent in my opinion. I am now listening to more music than I have for ages and that has to be a good thing.

Great to hear. im saving up the pennies at the moment for one. cant wait to get my hands on it :D

one interesting thing ive noticed though, is that there are no negative responses to this dac. everyone seems to like it which just amazes me or the people who dont like it dont bother saying anything. it really does sound great!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
JezBaker said:
RMutt said:

Great to hear. im saving up the pennies at the moment for one. cant wait to get my hands on it :D

one interesting thing ive noticed though, is that there are no negative responses to this dac. everyone seems to like it which just amazes me or the people who dont like it dont bother saying anything. it really does sound great!

Jez
We've all been brainwashed ;)

A

Anonymous

I replaced my Cyrus cd8se with a Sonos + Rega dac combo this time last week.

After a week long run in all I can say is it sounds better than the Cyrus in everyway except in outright detail.

I am actually also quite surprised how ithe Rega compares to the Naim DAC where the difference certainly doesnt amount to an extra £1500.

God knows what the Rega may sound like with a decent streamer attached to it (e.g. Naim UnitiServe).

Best HiFi move for me in the past few years anyway.

A

Anonymous

True Blue said:
Filter 1 is good and balanced. Filter 2 is the slightly more rounded "more TT esque". Filter three is a bit forward. Filter 4 is very forward. In my room with my system and ears I prefer Filter 2 PS this DAC is the best £400 I have spent in a long while. (Except my new Db1i's £460 :))

And you're running this with the Naim amp, I presume.

Do you think the dac is an upgrade over the saturn cd player? (From your sig it sounds like you're using the saturn just as a transport. )

I'm wondering if I should upgrade my transport from the squeezebox to something else. (not sure what)..

And you're running this with Naim amps, I guess.

A

Anonymous

MoData said:
True Blue said:
Filter 1 is good and balanced. Filter 2 is the slightly more rounded "more TT esque". Filter three is a bit forward. Filter 4 is very forward. In my room with my system and ears I prefer Filter 2 PS this DAC is the best £400 I have spent in a long while. (Except my new Db1i's £460 :))

And you're running this with the Naim amp, I presume.

Do you think the dac is an upgrade over the saturn cd player? (From your sig it sounds like you're using the saturn just as a transport. )

I'm wondering if I should upgrade my transport from the squeezebox to something else. (not sure what)..

And you're running this with Naim amps, I guess.

I mean, the rega dac is good, but folks in forums make it sound like it's the best thing since sliced bread. ;-)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Modata, yes I run Sonos and my Saturn inot the Rega DAC via Chord Signature Digital. The Rega DAC is a definate improvement on the DAC fitted within the Saturn.

Have demoed both the Naim Dac and Rega DAC and TBH was not too impressed with the Naim Dac. Its good, but at £2K + Powerline + Hi line (which my dealer had set up!!!!) it was no where near six times "better" than the Rega. Also you would always be tempted to add an external power supply to the naim for even more £££££.

I think REGA have priced this DAC superbly. An absolute steal :)

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I also want to know if it's a good upgrade to Dacmagic and Rdac, also in terms of compatibility with Stereo Amp I am planing to use it with Roksan Caspian M1 Integerated. Does it work well only with Rega Amps or mix and match will give better benefits.

I also have Stello on my short list.

NigelF said:
I also want to know if it's a good upgrade to Dacmagic and Rdac, also in terms of compatibility with Stereo Amp I am planing to use it with Roksan Caspian M1 Integerated. Does it work well only with Rega Amps or mix and match will give better benefits.

I also have Stello on my short list.

Hi NigelF

As good as the DacMagic and rDAC are Rega's DAC is quieter, more potent, has better resolution, greater dynamics, coherence, rhythm, scale and dynamics. Rega's DAC is built like a tank as well.
smiley-smile.gif
I feel Rega's DAC fully justifies its premium over the impressive DacMagic and rDAC.

Rega's DAC should be just fine with the Caspian M1. Fwiw, i've used Rega's DAC with amplification such as the ATC SIA2-150 MK2, Plinius Hiato, Naim NAC 202/NAP 200, Rega Mira3 and the DAC has worked a treat with all of these amplifiers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick, just quickly seeing as you have good knowledge of the Rega Dac, my set up is PM6003, Monitor Audio BX2 and QED silver anniversary cables, I was looking at the rDac as it has a softer sound which I thought would compliment the set up, would the Rega Dac be a compatible match also or maybe an even better addition than the rDac with this set up? I listen to a very broad range of music but primarily dance, house and electro.

Thanks

T

the record spot

Think I'd like to add Emotiva's apparently brilliant XDA-1 to the list. £350, five or six inputs (two optical, two coax, USB and AES/EBU). 24/192 on ALL inputs (not just 16-bit on USB as is the usual), haqs pre-amp capabilities and at a recent bakeoff had a lot of people wondering how the performance was as good at the money (£350).

http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/emotiva_xda1.html

Chances are, I'll probably try one of these out quite soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts