Rega DAC Placement

geoffreyc

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody own both the Rega Apollo R CD player and the matching Rega DAC?

How do you have them setup on your rack?

Wondering if its ok to place the player on top of the DAC.

Thanks

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I used to have both, just have the DAC now, I really would never put the CDP on top of the DAC, side by side is the way.

BTW Do you find the addition of the DAC to the Apollo R has improved things?

geoffreyc

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up the Rega DAC and all I can say is what an improvement (and the Apollo R is no slouch) but more musical, better bass extension and that 'grittiness' that sometimes characterised the Apollo is gone. Wonderful!

Also Rega have stopped using the cloverleaf iec mains socket and the price has increased to £548.

Just wondering how long I should leave it switched on for before its 'run in' properly and whether to perhaps leave it switched on permanently as another owner I know advised.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
geoffreyc said:
Just picked up the Rega DAC and all I can say is what an improvement (and the Apollo R is no slouch) but more musical, better bass extension and that 'grittiness' that sometimes characterised the Apollo is gone. Wonderful!

Also Rega have stopped using the cloverleaf iec mains socket and the price has increased to £548.

Just wondering how long I should leave it switched on for before its 'run in' properly and whether to perhaps leave it switched on permanently as another owner I know advised.

Probably does not use much power so may as well leave switched on.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
geoffreyc said:
Does anybody own both the Rega Apollo R CD player and the matching Rega DAC?

How do you have them setup on your rack?

Wondering if its ok to place the player on top of the DAC.

Thanks

I think they weren't design to be on top of each other, but side by side... :?

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
They got rid of the cloverleaf — I wonder if they changed anything else.

I was wondering if its possible to open it up and change the connector on the back — it is only screwed on. (I am fairly confident with my electronics)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
They got rid of the cloverleaf — I wonder if they changed anything else.

I was wondering if its possible to open it up and change the connector on the back — it is only screwed on. (I am fairly confident with my electronics)

Nothing on Rega website, however I know some were being sold quite cheap, would be interesting to know. Still think the original sounds pretty good for the money!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
how ya getting on with the 10x5? I loved it through the Brio R, different proposition with the Elicit R though, prefer the warmer Nagaoka!

For my tastes the Rega dac just didn't totally satisfy, although it was used in conjunction with my old Arcam CDP (as transport). In some areas it was fine (Mrs. P loved the extra warmth), but to my ears it was slightly unbalanced when cranked up, and lacked the last drop of attack.

By contrast, the Naim CD5i-2 had everything the Rega dac couldn't give me: Impressive attack, nice warmth or thickness to the presentation, good detail and overall more musical.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
For my tastes the Rega dac just didn't totally satisfy, although it was used in conjunction with my old Arcam CDP (as transport). In some areas it was fine (Mrs. P loved the extra warmth), but to my ears it was slightly unbalanced when cranked up, and lacked the last drop of attack.

By contrast, the Naim CD5i-2 had everything the Rega dac couldn't give me: Impressive attack, nice warmth or thickness to the presentation, good detail and overall more musical.

lol, that was the problem - Arcam transport lol, no seriously I really have little interest in cdps, dacs etc etc i only ever listen to digital if I really have to! Maybe it was the synergy PP

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:

lol, Maybe it was the synergy PP

Probably more down to my room dimensions. This is something I've been fighting for years, hence I've been trying to reconfigure the hi-fi.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
how ya getting on with the 10x5? I loved it through the Brio R, different proposition with the Elicit R though, prefer the warmer Nagaoka!

Loving it!

Still wonder what the Sumiko Blue Point would have been like after the guy in the shop said that the 10x5 was a little less lively!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts